Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinphila
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Ok, I have fixed GI before but I'm stumped here. One bb string of gi is out. It's a jokerz. The white green work fine. All fuses check out fine ( out of game ), no burnt connections. Could this be the relay? They worked fine a couple days ago. The only thing I can think of is that when we plugged it in the game was already in the on position. I figured this would have blown the fuses but they are good.

Again, half bbox work, other not. Any thought?

Thanks guys

#2 10 years ago

Moved to technical help sub forum. Good luck!

#3 10 years ago

There should be a second relay under the playfield
Swap it for the back box one to see if that's the issue. When the GI went out in my Diner, it was the relay, but it took out half the bulbs, not just a string.

If it is the relay, they are $25 for a new board. I just replaced both in my Diner just because.

#4 10 years ago

Relay under pf way in the back. Wiggle it with power on.

Jokerz btw?

#5 10 years ago

I'm having similar issue with a whirlind upper playfield GI
tried everything ..could it be the relay also?

#6 10 years ago

I've seen a couple system 11s have this issue. It is usually cold solder joints on connectors on the relay board under the pf. Sometimes the relay board is far down under the pf.

#7 10 years ago

In addition to the cold solder joints as Blackbeard suggests, the GI connectors on the relay can also get burnt or the relay itself can fail. The relay can be tested in diagnostics in the solenoid test. Jokerz has the playfield and backbox relays controlled off the same transistor (Q9), so all the GI is turned on or off simultaneously. This is different than a game like Cyclone where the backbox and playfield GI relays are on two separate circuits. If you go into solenoid test, Sol 10 is for the GI relays. When you run the test you should hear both relays click and all the GI should flash. If you don't hear both clicks, you can swap them as schonb suggests to see if the problem is the relay. If neither relay clicks but you have GI on one of the circuits, Q9 is suspect.

viperrwk

#8 10 years ago

similar thing just happened on my jd. it was fuse. funny thing fuse looks perfect. yea bitched moaned cried for hours, and it was a fuse that looked good.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks guys.

Viper, I don't follow you. On mine, all the pf gi work and half the backbox gi are working. The working ones go on and off correctly during game play.

#10 10 years ago

I misread your original post - apologies.

If the working lights flash on and off in the relay test, then the string that's out has either a connector or wiring or bad socket issue. Only thing you can do is trace the string back to the connector.

viperrwk

#11 10 years ago

Just swapped the relays. Relay is bad.

Thank you for the help!

#12 10 years ago

Anyone feel like helping with my upper playfield GI on Whirlwind?
Swapped the 2 relays under playfield and both work when tapped into the lower playfield..also tested all fuses with a multimeter and wiggled a bunch of suspected plugs..some looked a lil dusty but not burnt
Thnks

#13 10 years ago

Are the fuses blowing?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-wms-sys-11-backbox-gi-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.