Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My Uncle has a Rescue 911 that had a break in the wire harness for the helicopter. I couldn't find a new one so I rebuilt the existing harness. The old wires were 22awg and I replaced with the same. But now the wires are not flexible enough for the helicopter to spin. I used stranded wire so the difference must be in the thickness of the strands or the insulation. I got the wire from Radio Shack. Does anyone have a suggestion on replacement wire that is flexible? I don't want to just order more wire on line and find out its not flexible as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Yeah, something with more flexible insulation and/or finer strands would probably help. Unfortunately buying via mail order might make this tough. There is a local electrical surplus store where I like to buy wire. They have hundreds of spools of wire that you can handle directly and you can choose the one you like. If you can't find a place like that, I would suggest a detailed search like this:

ebay.com link

or

amazon.com link »

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah, something with more flexible insulation and/or finer strands would probably help. Unfortunately buying via mail order might make this tough. There is a local electrical surplus store where I like to buy wire. They have hundreds of spools of wire that you can handle directly and you can choose the one you like. If you can't find a place like that, I would suggest a detailed search like this:

Unfortunately I don't have a place that I know of near by where I can handle the wire. I didn't think to add the word flexible to the search. I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

#4 5 years ago

The spec you are interested in is called the "stranding" of the wire.

You will see it written on spec sheets as something like 7x36 or 19x40.

In the 7x36, it means there are 7 strands of 36 AWG wire. 19x40 means there are 19 strands of 40 AWG wire.

The jacket material is important for the flexibility as well. Silicone insulation is more flexible than a PVC.

If you want flexible, you want as many strands as possible. With 22 AWG, a lot of your options are limited to 7 strands. If you are willing to step to 20 AWG, there are more options available at 19x32.

Hope that helps.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks Wolfmarsh. That's great information I wasn't aware of. Do you think 20 AWG at 19x32 would be more flexible than 22 AWG at 7x36?

#6 5 years ago

I'd say 7x36 will be pretty flexible, depending on the jacket material. "22 awg silicone wire" will probably net you some good results as a search.

#7 5 years ago

I'm not sure where you found that wire, but 7x36 is a common stranding for 28 AWG, not 22 AWG.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bel Air, MD
$ 42.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.99
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside