(Topic ID: 137938)

TECH: Williams Blackout Has Some Speech Missing. EDIT: RESOLVED!

By johnnypinball

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I am finishing up a recently acquired Williams Blackout and I have almost everything back in working order. One thing that I am struggling with is some of the speech is missing. All sounds and words are present during game play except the words "green", "red", "yellow", and "resume". In game play it will say "Condition" but will not be followed by the correct corresponding words "green", "red", or "yellow" based on which targets you complete. It will also not say "resume" when an extra ball is awarded after the ball drains. When I press the self diagnostic button on the sound board the words green, red, yellow, and resume will sound but at a slightly lower volume and with a bit of static sound. What I have done so far is re-flowed all the header pins on all the boards and replaced the crappy Scanbe sockets and polished the tarnished legs on the sound and speech roms. The other problem I need to tackle is the master display is dead that shows the ball count and credits but the player 1, 2, 3 and 4 displays are bright and clear. Any help in what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

John

#2 8 years ago

Bad (P)ROMs on the speech board and / or bad sockets.

The manual for firepower tells you where each speech call is located. All the missing speech is probably in one bad PROM.

#3 8 years ago

I already have all of the sockets replaced. I am wondering about the roms and if one could be corrupt. I will eventually replace the roms if I have no other avenues to peruse. It is strange to me that the 4 missing words during game play are somewhat present during the test when the diagnostic button is pushed on the sound board. They are there, just not loud and clear.

#4 8 years ago

Burn a new ROM. The old ones get bitrot and kick it sooner or later.

Not exactly the same, because this was a Bally game, but it might give you some ideas:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-vocalizer-eprom-repair-vids-guide

#5 8 years ago

Thanks Vid. I'll get some new roms coming and try that next.

1 week later
#6 8 years ago

Thanks to Vids recommendation and the help of John Wart Jr, I installed new speech roms and all is well!

Thank you guys for the help,
John

#7 8 years ago

Congrats on the repair!

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from johnnypinball:

Thanks to Vids recommendation and the help of John Wart Jr, I installed new speech roms and all is well!
Thank you guys for the help,
John

Woohoo!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-williams-blackout-has-some-speech-missing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.