Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PBatt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My newly acquired Who Dunnit pinball machine has a strange problem. It plays fine for game after game, but after any extended period of inactivity, the machine will begin to behave strangely. "Autofire" (ball save) will fire over and over, but flippers won't work at all. When you finally switch off the game to reset, the machine always powers up with the following error message:

Check Fuses F115, F116, and Opto 12V Supply.

Fuse F116, a slow-blow 3 amp fuse is always blown. Replace it and the game functions normally again for awhile---then several games later, same problem again.

I've tried burn-in to induce the failure, but nothing happens.

Any clue where to begin troubleshooting this one?

Thanks in advance.

Abby & Les Rayburn
Maylene, AL

#2 5 years ago

Here is a case study from the repair docs that may help:
The flippers and dot matrix display died while playing a game.
Problem: The flippers on my Indy Jones died. The dot matrix display only has one vertical line which is always lit. The GI lamps are fine, as are the controlled lamps. I turned the game off and back on, the game continually launched balls from the ball trough.

Answer: the +12 volts has died, probably from a bad fuse at F116, or maybe a bad BR5 bridge. Some dot matrix power is derived from the +12 volts, and the +12 volts also powers the optos (hence the auto ball launching problem and no flippers). If the +12 volts is good, unplug the fliptronics and sound board ribbon cable, leaving just the dot matrix display plugged in to the ribbon cable. Now see if the display clears up and you can see the error report.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Here is a case study from the repair docs that may help:
The flippers and dot matrix display died while playing a game.
Problem: The flippers on my Indy Jones died. The dot matrix display only has one vertical line which is always lit. The GI lamps are fine, as are the controlled lamps. I turned the game off and back on, the game continually launched balls from the ball trough.
Answer: the +12 volts has died, probably from a bad fuse at F116, or maybe a bad BR5 bridge. Some dot matrix power is derived from the +12 volts, and the +12 volts also powers the optos (hence the auto ball launching problem and no flippers). If the +12 volts is good, unplug the fliptronics and sound board ribbon cable, leaving just the dot matrix display plugged in to the ribbon cable. Now see if the display clears up and you can see the error report.

Could also be BR2. Have you checked the board voltages on the board? You should be able to determine if there is 5V and 12V using the test pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 37.50
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-who-dunnit-problem-with-f116?hl=pbatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.