(Topic ID: 86611)

TECH: Whirlwind flipper button will not register...

By RyanClaytor

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

My right flipper button on my Whirlwind will no longer register.

Every switch works in test mode....except for the right flipper.

The switch itself is good.

I traced the wires, and followed them back to the interconnect board at J10 (pins 1 and 6 are where the orange/purple and blue/purple wires end up. I HAVE CONTINUITY all the way back to the board for those wires.

I pulled the interconnect board. All solder traces look great on the header pins on the back of the board. (No cracked or dry solder joints).

All fuses are good. (pulled and tested).

I'm at a loss, and don't know what to do next. Is there a component on the board that could have gone bad? Also, isn't it odd that only ONE switch isn't working? (I would have figured that if a component went bad, it would be an entire row or column...not one lonely flipper switch).

What can I check?

Ryan

#2 10 years ago

Ok, there is a fairly long path for the flipper circuit so you need to break it down.
Check with a DMM for flipper power at the flipper switch contacts. Do you find it at one side of the flipper switch? If yes, then ground it with a wire - it should fire. If it does, your path to ground needs further investigation.

If you have no power at the flipper switch then you need to find out why that is not getting there. basically, you need to see power at one side of the flipper switch and the switch completes the circuit. So do the check I suggest and then we can see which "half" of the circuit needs further troubleshooting.

#3 10 years ago

Help me out, kind of a newbie when it comes to voltage testing.

How do I test for voltage at the switch? What setting should my meter be on, and where should I put each lead?

Thanks!
Ryan

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Help me out, kind of a newbie when it comes to voltage testing.
How do I test for voltage at the switch? What setting should my meter be on, and where should I put each lead?
Thanks!
Ryan

Meter needs to be on DC volts, if it is not on auto ranging set it to any setting 75VDC or above. You will be looking for 50-75VDC on your reading. Attach the negative probe to ground (usually the ground braid, unless it is broken somewhere) or a backbox screw. It helps if your ground (black) lead on the meter is an alligator clip instead of a probe, because clipping it on frees up your other hand. Then touch the positive probe (red) to either wire lead going to the cabinet switch contacts. One of them should have around 50 to 75 volts DC on it, according to the schematic diagram for Whirlwind it would be a blue wire with a grey stripe (BLU-GRY)

#5 10 years ago

My LAH had a dead left flipper and everything checked out fine. Turned out that the metal contactors that touch when the flipper buttons are pressed needed a light sanding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-whirlwind-flipper-button-will-not-register and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.