(Topic ID: 47344)

Tech: WCS -- should I get ghosting ROM fix before I add LEDs?

By tbanthony

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lostcause
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AE895E33-6CBC-486F-9CFB-A5D213836298 (resized).jpeg
#1 11 years ago

I want to put LEDs in my WCS and STTNG. I've seen threads on STTNG ghosting but couldn't find much on WCS. I'm getting a ROM for STTNG with the LED fix. Should I do the same for WCS? Or, is it not needed at all.

#2 11 years ago

There was some ghosting that I experienced with my WCS94, so if you're bothered by ghosting, yes, you should get the ROM patched with the ghosting/LED fix, or you could by "ghostbusters" or non-ghosting LEDs.

#3 11 years ago

I don't know the answer to this: If you have installed a ROM to eliminate LED ghosting, can you still use standard bulbs with this ROM? If there is a problem with standard bulbs and the non-ghosting ROM set, I would go with non-ghosting LEDs.

#4 11 years ago

I would never go with non ghosting LEDs if you don't have to because they cost more.

#5 11 years ago

So, I assume if I go with the ROM fix, I can then buy regular and generally cheaper LEDs (rather than non-ghosting LEDs). Can anyone chime in if they have had good success with this?

#6 11 years ago

Don;t know what the point of installing an anti ghosting patch that wouldn't eliminate ghosting.

#7 11 years ago

Yeah, tbanthony. If you get the ROM patch that eliminates ghosting, you can use any LEDs you want, and you'll get no ghosting.

#8 11 years ago

Just curious, if you have anti-ghosting ROMs, what is the effect on controlled standard lamps/bulbs, not LEDs? None? or?

#9 11 years ago

I would think it's none Minnesota13. AFAIK, the ghosting rom eliminates some small amount of voltage bleed from the insert light circuits that were not enough to light an incandescent bulb, but is enough to make a LED glow or "ghost". Eliminating this small amount of voltage should not effect any other lights from going on and off as they should. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge on the subject can make it sound better than I just did, LOL.

#10 11 years ago

I thought the ROM fixed "flickering" due to the different hz timing driving the lamps, and ghosting was something different?

Maybe it was "strobing"?

#11 11 years ago

I used Pinball Life Ablaze 3's in my WCS inserts and have ZERO ghosting on that pin.

#12 11 years ago

Doesn't seem to offer Ablaze 3's anymore. 4's sound over powering. The original Ablaze -- not sure if they provide enough "punch". What's the best general use LED to brighten a game a bit without it becoming overpowering. I don't like it when the games blind you, but want it a bit bright than incandescent bulbs.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Doesn't seem to offer Ablaze 3's anymore.

Yeah you know that's weird I noticed that yesterday.

I Like CT Frosteds under inserts. They light them up bright, which is a good thing, but it's an insert so no blinding issues. You can use a mini or ablaze 1 in small inserts, but i find them not bright enough for the normal/big sized.

#14 11 years ago

4's would be too much.

The frosted's from Cointaker should be nice....I like that idea.

#15 11 years ago

My WH2O's GI blinked when I flipped the flippers. It was all LEDs. Is that a form of ghosting or something more?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

My WH2O's GI blinked when I flipped the flippers. It was all LEDs. Is that a form of ghosting or something more?

Naw that's diff'rent. Funny thing is my WH20 ghosted until i updated the to home rom and it fixed it.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

So, I assume if I go with the ROM fix, I can then buy regular and generally cheaper LEDs (rather than non-ghosting LEDs). Can anyone chime in if they have had good success with this?

This is correct. But the ghosting on Williams games is so minor it's not really worth doing this. But yea, the rom solves any ghosting issues so you don't need non ghosting LEDs.

#18 11 years ago

On my WCS the lights above the ramps (jackpot, ticket etc) would noticeably ghost when I just had ablaze frosted LEDs in there (flicker on when meant to be off). Getting a no ghost rom made them completely off as they were meant to be.

#19 11 years ago

I have CT ultra brights under my PF inserts and love the look of the game but do notice some flickering on some of the lamps.

Where is the best place to obtain this ROM?

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from TurnOne:

I have CT ultra brights under my PF inserts and love the look of the game but do notice some flickering on some of the lamps.
Where is the best place to obtain this ROM?

Ask the sources on eBay that list pin ROMs and/or ask Hobbyroms.com. I got an affirmative response from one that it was available, but that I need to request the ROM LED ghosting fix in my order notes.

#21 11 years ago

I just had a conversation with the developer of the patch software last week about the effect the patch would have on incandescent lights. First thing to note is that the patch is applying lamp matrix code from later B/W games into the older ROM so this code is designed to be used with incandescent lights. Having said this we came to the conclusion that compared to the old (flawed) code, the new lamp matrix code would make incandescents slightly dimmer because you're not getting a current spike every time the column transistor strobes which has the effect of warming the element and making the flash a bit brighter. We also came to the conclusion that you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between the original and patched code with 44 lamps but it will be noticeable on an insert that has a 47 installed.

<soapbox>
Hopefully anyone who sells this patched code doesn't charge extra for it as the guy who figured this out made it available for free.
</soapbox>

viperrwk

#22 11 years ago

There seems to be a bit of confusion in terminology and what the ROM patch actually does.

The ROM changes the timing of when the row/column transistors are turned off. The row/column transistors have a bit of latency from when the are told to turn off to when they actually do, and the patch attempts to prevent them from being on when the shouldn't. It was a bug that Williams fixed in later ROMs that they released, and the developer of the patch wrote a PC tool that inserts the same code that Williams modified into ROMs that did not have this fix applied when Williams released them.

It will help in cases where you see lamps that are lit dimly when they should be off. In certain cases, it will not completely get rid of the dimly lit bulbs, but it does not hurt to have the patch. It does not affect the voltage at all. It does not require any special bulbs.

If flicker is the issue you're seeing, where a fully lit bulb looks like it is shimmering or strobing, the patch will not help this. The only ways to prevent flicker are to use LEDs with built in circuitry to prevent flicker or to use a board like I designed. I don't want it to seem like I'm advertising my own stuff, but here's a link anyway:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

new lamp matrix code would make incandescents slightly dimmer

Thanks viperrwk, that's what is suspected. Indeed I agree that the revised ROM code should not be sold as such but only as the cost hardware rom itself and effort/cost to produce the the rom.

6 years later
#24 4 years ago

somebody that can send me the non ghosting rom ?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I don't want it to seem like I'm advertising my own stuff, but here's a link anyway:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list

Shame these are not available to buy in the UK, I have one in my lotr and 4 Afterglow boards in others. I will not put leds in my WCS until I have both the insert and gi boards. The Dimming effect lost is too much. Fish Tales with just leds for example is a strobe fest. Once you see the difference there is no going back.

#26 4 years ago

I recently installed mixed Ablaze from PL in my FT and to my OCD eye they are perfect.

I upgraded ROM to D-6 anti ghost and to be honest didn't notice a difference.

The trick is to get right balance of LED's I guess ?

#27 4 years ago

Looks the same as mine, fast on/off which is like strobing not the same as ghosting. Incandescents will fade on/off and the transition from insert to insert will look smoother when moving from one to the other. You can see what I mean on this papa FT footage.

Love my FT and will be fitting led ocd at some stage as it needs it.

AE895E33-6CBC-486F-9CFB-A5D213836298 (resized).jpegAE895E33-6CBC-486F-9CFB-A5D213836298 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-wcs-should-i-get-ghosting-rom-fix-before-i-add-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.