Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Very weird situation with my WCS - I put new pinballs in it, which it then proceeds to pit them within a day or two of play. What would cause this?

// Error: Image 110977 not found //

#2 10 years ago

Soft balls hitting metal.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

They are brand new ones. I've tried old ones too. They all do the same thing. Any ideas?

#4 10 years ago

Probably the metal in the goal trough.

#5 10 years ago

Harder balls.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Pacer:

Probably the metal in the goal trough.

I took a look at the trough, it seems ok...what in particular should I be looking for there?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Harder balls.

Showing my stupidity here, is there such a thing?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Showing my stupidity here, is there such a thing?

No stupidity, you just haven't learned it yet.

There is soft steel, hard steel, all kinds of steel.

Get stronger balls that still work with a magnet. You have a magnet in your game.

#9 10 years ago

Would you have a suggestion where to get them? I usually buy from Pinball Life...

#10 10 years ago

Should also add that I never remember running into any issues like this on my first WCS.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Would you have a suggestion where to get them? I usually buy from Pinball Life...

No idea. I use what ever is handy, replace when they look satiny.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

what in particular should I be looking for there

Nothing in particular to look at, its just the area of metal to metal contact at speed. You get metal to metal in the drain trough too, but there would seem to be less of a hard impact there. There's also metal to metal in the metal ramp, but it isn't a ball hitting a flat surface like the goal.

My point was more just that the goal presents the likely point of impact that would do it.

#13 10 years ago

A bit more on this. It appears that the ball is getting almost like pimples on there. Is it possible the magnet is causing this? I've turned it to its shortest duration, but it seems to hold it for a bit there...

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Is it possible the magnet is causing this?

No, I'm sure the magnet ( pole ) is softer than the ball.

#15 10 years ago

Is it possible the magnet could be 'burning' the ball coating?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Is it possible the magnet could be 'burning' the ball coating?

No. It's a ball bearing, no coating.

#17 10 years ago

Thanks, I didn't think so, but figured I'd ask. It is just so weird. It really does look the balls are getting bumps on them...had not seen any of my machines do this before.

#18 10 years ago

maybe a dirty subway or goalie trap, cheap balls

#19 10 years ago

Only 2 days? Yikes. I would suggest checking all the narrow posts on the playfield. Especially the two above the in and outlanes. I don't think those should have rubbers. Run your finger over them to feel for rough edges. Check all the other posts too. Make sure the ones that are supposed have rubbers have them and the ones that don't have smooth edges.

Still nothing? Run your finger(s) all over the playfield and in the troughs and subways too. Something (likely steel) is sticking out damaging those balls. You should be able to find it by feel, if not by sight. Pretend your finger is the ball and you should be able to find it. May be a hidden drywall screw from a previous owner.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-wcs-pitting-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.