Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by gjbwalker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I'm having issues with my TZ's right flippers being weak. This is what I've done so far:

* Checked all fuses with meter and pulling one end out.
* Rebuilt all flippers.
* Cleaned Optos
* Replaced Fliptronic board (based on a pinside thread with similar issues) with a Pinled (I&II) board, although when I replaced the board it I blew a fuse on the main board. Emailed tech support and told me to pull all fuses on their board and put them back in one at a time. I did this and the flippers worked, but still with weak right flippers.
* swapped opto boards--I did this and still weak right flippers, then the right side went dead after a coulple minutes of play. No blown fuses. I switched opto boards back again and both sides worked but no solution to the problem.

I am not a tech guy by any means, so I'm at the end of my knowledge with this, but my thought is that I should have bought a Rottendog board instead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg

#2 11 years ago

Check the voltage at those flippers and compare them to the left side.

#3 11 years ago

Did you verify that the correct coil is in on both the right and left flipper? Rebuilding the flippers is likely the solution. You said you did this but since you also indicated you don't know how to work on the machines very well, perhaps you did it wrong. Did you replace the sleeve and the nylon bushing between the bracket and the playfield? What did you do to rebuild them? Did you use a flipper gap adjustment tool when reattaching the flipper bat? Rebuilding the flipper improperly will yield a weak flipper.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from gjbwalker:

Replaced Fliptronic board (based on a pinside thread with similar issues) with a Pinled (I&II) board, although when I replaced the board it I blew a fuse on the main board.

Which fuse did you blow on the main board?

#5 11 years ago

I'm having the same issue with my TZ. About to go down the same road. Getting ready to replace coils is first. But some thing tells me this is a unique issue

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I'm having the same issue with my TZ. About to go down the same road. Getting ready to replace coils is first. But some thing tells me this is a unique issue

Coils almost never go out. It's probably a waste of time and money to start with the coils. Start by doing a proper flipper rebuild. This solves the weak flippers most the time. But you have to do it right.

#7 11 years ago

Although if you can't remove the coil sleeve you'll need to replace the coil.

#8 11 years ago

Sorry flippers were rebuilt recently

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I haven't checked yet, but will . . .

Quoted from markmon:

Rebuilding the flipper improperly will yield a weak flipper.

I've rebuilt several flippers before so I'm ok there, but I double checked anyway, and everything looks good, the correct coils are in place. I believe that the EOS is normally open on TZ which mine are.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Which fuse did you blow on the main board?

It was F112. When I put the new board in, the flippers energized, stayed energized, then blew the fuse.

I read on Clay's ninjas site that the Optos themselves get weak on Fliptronic I boards and can cause weak flippers. Thoughts on that?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Ok, I realized that I don't know how to test voltage. I have a Auto ranging DMM, but where do you test the voltage (I.E. on the opto board? and if so where?)

I figured it would be 2 wires that I could put my leads onto, ahh no. This is where my skill gets very poor.

#11 11 years ago

Ok, my thought is that this is the coil itself. I managed to measure the voltage on all three lugs of the flipper coil and got 70 volts. I did have a harder time getting the coil sleeve out. I used a nut driver to push it out instead of it just sliding out.

I've ordered a new coil and should be here tomorrow. My lack of knowledge just means I keep replacing stuff and hope it fixes the problem.

#12 11 years ago

Whenever I install a new sleeve, I make a habit of cleaning the plunger. Dirt causes friction when sliding into the sleeve, and will make your flippers feel weak.

#13 11 years ago

Had a similar problem on my TZ awhile back. I did everything you have done. What ended up fixing the problem for me was replacing the flipper opto boards.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Had a similar problem on my TZ awhile back. I did everything you have done. What ended up fixing the problem for me was replacing the flipper opto boards.

I ordered one of those too. It sucks to play with a weak flipper. I'm anxious to play it 100% working.

#15 11 years ago

move the opto board to the other side and see if the problem moves with it.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I had this problem too, sure enough it was the flipper opto boards.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I did move the opto from the other side and it was still weak, and after a couple minutes the whole right side stopped working. Swapped them back and now I just get weak flippers again. Although, it's hard to tell if the upper flipper is all that weak because the ball doesn't have much area to travel.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 12.95
$ 14.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 132.00
$ 12.95
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tz-weak-right-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.