Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DumbAss
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

The upper right flipper on my TZ just stopped working today. I turned the game on and the 2 left flippers and the bottom right flipper worked normally, but the upper right flipper isn't working. After playing for a few seconds the upper right flipper started to work as it should.

I turned the game off and let it sit for awhile and then turned it on again and the upper right flipper is not working again. So now I cannot get the upper right flipper to work at all when the game is just turned on or when it has been on for several minutes.

I have GLM flipper boards in my TZ and have had them in my TZ since January of 2008 and they have been very reliable. I replaced my GLM flipper board with another new GLM flipper board from my parts stash and still the same result where the upper right flipper doesn't work. When the right flipper button is pressed all the way in both LED's on the GLM flipper board light up to indicate that both flippers are activated (lower right and upper right).

I checked out the coil for the upper right flipper and it operates smoothly as it should. I can manually articulate the upper right flipper without any binding at all. The flipper coil lugs look very solid at the lug solder points so I am not sure what my next move is, but I eagerly await any and all advice from this knowledgeable group.

Thanks in advance for any guidance that is forthcoming.

Gord

#2 2 years ago

The solder joints on the coil lugs - go over carefully, easy to have one of the thin wires from the coil windings to the lugs cracked or broken. Both diodes on and secure ?

Tests - Switch Edge - slowly push in flipper button, both switches register on the screen, first lower than upper ?

Then check wiring for power from coil to fliptronics board, check for weak joint or broken wire.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The solder joints on the coil lugs - go over carefully, easy to have one of the thin wires from the coil windings to the lugs cracked or broken. Both diodes on and secure ?
Tests - Switch Edge - slowly push in flipper button, both switches register on the screen, first lower than upper ?
Then check wiring for power from coil to fliptronics board, check for weak joint or broken wire.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd, I will follow your suggestions and report back.

Gord

#4 2 years ago

I did some magnet adjustments to the GLM flipper board (doesn't use optos) and then ran switch edges test on all 4 flippers and they are all working now. All 4 flippers are now working in the game when the game has been off for awhile or on for awhile. The magnet adjustments are very important to get just right for the GLM flipper boards to work properly so hopefully this magnet adjustment will fix the issue long term.

Both LED's on the GLM flipper board are now lighting and in the correct order. I shut the machine off and let it sit and then turned it on and ran switch edges test on both flipper buttons and all 4 flippers are working as expected. I played 3 games and everything is working as it should. I will keep on eye on it, but at the present time there is nothing else to troubleshoot as all 4 flippers are working normally.

If a cold solder joint should rear its ugly head down the road then I will address it at that time.

Thanks Lloyd.

Gord

#5 2 years ago

If you have not already done so I believe it is advised to use some masking or painter's tape to hold the magnet in place. Use something with a light adhesive. Vibration can shift the position and alter the response. After applying the tape re-check the switches in switch edge test.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 22.50
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 12.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 132.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tz-upper-right-flipper-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.