Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

TZ - here is the history. Hitchhiker Switch 52 acting up, turns out the arm is off on one side and it is wedged up against the side of the slot. No biggie. Of course, I went in with the power on, like I moron. On the way back in to install switch, my hand contacted the tab on the coil for the ball diverter/magnet/gate thing that stops you from going to the power PF when not lit. Yikes. Worst shock I have ever took from a pin. I was holding the switch while I did it. Game reset and came up with Check Fuses F115 and F114. Crapola.

F115 was blown - So I just went straight to U20 and U14 (they smelled cooked). New U20 and U14 installed, and the game booted up, but random coils were firing and I got a buttload of switch out and row short errors. Went straight to U18 and U19 and replaced them with (now socketed!) 339s. Now the game comes up "Ground Short Row 1 is Stuck Closed". But I already replaced these ICs. If the 339s were bad, would that have possibly fouled the new U20? I just don't think there is anything shorted to ground on the game. I know what I did in sending the high voltage up the switch matrix, but it went through me into the switch and up to the CPU. Nothing shorting now.

Should I throw another U20 in there?

#2 8 years ago

just disconect the wires to the playfield from the cpu if you then have no ground fault you know you have a problem on the playfield if problem is still there then its back to the drawing board with the cpu

#3 8 years ago

Well, pulled the connectors to the PF off and get the Check Fuses 114 & 115 message. New U20 no help. Going back to U14 now. Going to socket new ones all around this time, but the problem is clearly on this board.

#4 8 years ago

No dice. Back to the laundry list of shorted rows, clock broken, switch errors, etc.....

Crap

#5 8 years ago

Game off and row connector removed, check for continuity from each pin on J208 to ground on the cpu.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from chris_brim:

just disconect the wires to the playfield from the cpu if you then have no ground fault you know you have a problem on the playfield if problem is still there then its back to the drawing board with the cpu

Quoted from gambit3113:

Well, pulled the connectors to the PF off and get the Check Fuses 114 & 115 message.

That will happen on some games. Start the game first and then remove the row and column connectors and see if the ground short goes away. If it does not, then also pull J212 and see if that helps.

It's easiest to pull the row/column connectors about 1/3 of the way off before starting the game.

#7 8 years ago

Jumping J207 to J209, I find that I get normal response and switch activation on each pin. Nothing out of the ordinary registering there.

#8 8 years ago

After a good 12 hours and soldering in sockets like I never have, I found the issue. U20, U14 and all 3 Opto Board 339s were torched. Running smoothly now. If you run 50v into the Switch Matrix of a TZ, the under PF Opto Board ICs should be on your radar. Don't run 50v to the Switch Matrix in the first place, you jackanape.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Don't run 50v to the Switch Matrix in the first place, you jackanape.

That is the best plan.

Good job of troubleshooting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tz-ground-row-shortic-issue-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.