TECH - TSPP Ball jumping off the Monorail

By meSz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Anyone other than me have an issue with the ball jumping off the Monorail into the right drain lane? It seems if the ball has any speed to it it will jump the rail where it dips. I called Stern and was advised that they have never heard of this!

Post edited by meSz : Added additional details

#2 10 years ago

Try sliding the monorail either up or down "depending where it is now".

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from domijr:

Try sliding the monorail either up or down "depending where it is now".

Thanks for the post but I tried that before. It doesn't move that much but no matter if I move it up or down it's not enough of an impact to correct the issue!

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Thanks for the post but I tried that before. It doesn't move that much but no matter if I move it up or down it's not enough of an impact to correct the issue!

Hmm, that's what i did and it seemed to have solved the issue. I've only had it happened once though, and when it happened, i searched for a thread and seen someone reply about moving the monorail. Maybe loosen up the screw that holds the ramp and move the ramp a lil bit. I notice the ball speed can very on the monorail, so maybe that just happens sometimes, but if it's happening often, then there's definitely an alignment issue somewhere.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I called Stern and was advised that they have never heard of this!

That's funny because this has happened to some extent on probably every TSPP I have played on location.

#6 10 years ago

Thansk domijr I will mess around with the alignment some more and see what happens. ANYONE else that has any input, please do so. Sucks playing the game with this issue as I drain the ball enough on my own I don't need this issue to help drain it more!!!!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Thansk domijr I will mess around with the alignment some more and see what happens. ANYONE else that has any input, please do so. Sucks playing the game with this issue as I drain the ball enough on my own I don't need this issue to help drain it more!!!!

Does it happen often, or is it random? I've had the pinball jump over my flippers a cpl times, the pinball can do funny things at times I love this machine.

#8 10 years ago

My game also had this issue, although I've played plenty that didn't. I suspect there were different runs of wireforms done as there were different runs of the game made. I never found anyone locally who had one to compare the bends in the wireform before I eventually sold the game.

What helped some was adding washers on the top hex post where the top of the wireform mounts (below the ramp mounting point). Elevating the monorail ramp even slightly will slow the ball down. Also make sure the three thumbscrews holding down the upper playfield are real tight. Added height there will add speed on the monorail ramp.

#9 10 years ago

I've never had this happen in a year of play. I get the rare airball landing on the monorail though, that's always cool . I just double checked what mine is like going down the monorail - I notice the ball goes nice and slow down the monorail but then speeds up pretty good it the big drop off in the wireform. Hard to tell from your video but it looks like the ball is going a lot faster when it leaves your monorail and gets in to the wireform.

Only easy fix I can think of is that maybe your game is set up too steep? Or maybe out of level sloping down to the right? The other suggestions already made sound good too.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Bif:

maybe your game is set up too steep

exactly my thoughts, what is the pitch of the game?. My ball doesn't appear to move that fast across the monorail into the wireform.

#11 10 years ago

I get the exact same problem, if its a slower ball its fine but any speed and bye bye ball!!

I did a slight bend and its quite a bit better, I am thinking of adding 'something' to the bend to stop this.

#12 10 years ago

I also have had the problem. It seems to be more when you miss a shot from the top right flipper on the upper playfield so the ball travels down the monorail with more speed and spin.
My solution was to attach a small figure (about 2 inches tall) of Mr Burns on to the one way gate from the plunger. Not only did this mean that on the occasions when the ball did look like it was going to bounce off the rail it clipped the figure and stayed on the rail, it was also a mod fitting in with the rest of the table.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Bif:

Only easy fix I can think of is that maybe your game is set up too steep?

I have the game leveled according to the bubble and it's spot on.

Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

I get the exact same problem, if its a slower ball its fine but any speed and bye bye ball!!
I did a slight bend and its quite a bit better, I am thinking of adding 'something' to the bend to stop this.

What did you bend? Can you show a picture?

Quoted from WJxxxx:

I also have had the problem. It seems to be more when you miss a shot from the top right flipper on the upper playfield so the ball travels down the monorail with more speed and spin.
My solution was to attach a small figure (about 2 inches tall) of Mr Burns on to the one way gate from the plunger. Not only did this mean that on the occasions when the ball did look like it was going to bounce off the rail it clipped the figure and stayed on the rail, it was also a mod fitting in with the rest of the table.

The scenario you describe is exactly what is happening with mine. If the ball drains from the lower portion it doesn't have the speed so it won't jump the track. If you would show a picture of where you attached Mr. Burns?

#14 10 years ago

You need to bend up the right side so it doesn't jump off. I did this on the left ramp on LOTR. You unmount it and slightly bend the mounting areas so it won't lean to the right like it does right now.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

You need to bend up the right side so it doesn't jump off. I did this on the left ramp on LOTR. You unmount it and slightly bend the mounting areas so it won't lean to the right like it does right now.

I haven't done this, but by looking at the wire ramp, wouldn't bending the mount up make things worse? Seems like it would make it lean more to the right and also make the monorail more steep. I think it might need to be bent down, but I could be wrong since i haven't tried. Seems like that would push the wire ramp over to the right though, so the monorail might not line up properly, i dunno.

#16 10 years ago

Up on one side is the same as down on the other. It depends on which was you bend it.

#17 10 years ago

My monorail ball does not travel that fast---ever. Makes me think the angle of your playfield is too steep, or the monorail is.

#18 10 years ago

Adjust/re-tighten the metal habitrail where it attaches to the post by Itchy & Scratchy. Try to push it "to the left" as much as possible so that when you tighten the screw, the metal "loop" between the washers is flush against it.

#19 10 years ago

just bend it up

#20 10 years ago

Turn the middle side topwise. Topwise!

#21 10 years ago

you need to perfectly match the contours of the human verti-brains

one, two, better not sue!

#22 10 years ago

I have aligned it better by loosening the screw that holds down the right side of the monorail and even have tried a small spacer and longer screw to lessen it's pitch. I hope this helps.

#23 10 years ago

Gah! I've had this game for a week and as of yesterday every trip down the monorail jumps off into the right outlane. It's ridiculous!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Gah! I've had this game for a week and as of yesterday every trip down the monorail jumps off into the right outlane. It's ridiculous!

Plenty of suggestions in this thread on how to fix this.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Turn the middle side topwise. Topwise!

Very good

#26 10 years ago

Hrmmm, maybe try adding a few washers under where the habitrail mounts over by itchy and scratchy so that the monorail is less "steep"

good luck!!

#27 10 years ago

I cant believe that pinball is so awesome and funny at the same time. Do'H!!

3 weeks later
#28 10 years ago

A thick coat of Vaseline on the monorail oughta do the trick...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 218.00
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 45.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tspp-ball-jumping-off-the-monorail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.