Tech: TOTAN is dead...

By Holy_Pickle

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

TOTAN won't boot up....Only the backglass is lighted, everything else is dead....I checked all the fuses, they are ok.

Any idea?

#2 12 years ago

what did you do? repairs of any kind..

#3 12 years ago

Maybe the Rom got corrupt?

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from Dawson:

what did you do? repairs of any kind..

I removed the batteries with game on. I used my fingers to remove them...

#5 12 years ago

Have you tried unplugging the machine from AC wall outlet for a few minutes? IDK that randomly works on computers.

What happened when you took the batteries out with the machine on? Did it stay running? then you put new batteries in? when and how did it now power on? Did you flip the power switch after new batteries were in?

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Have you tried unplugging the machine from AC wall outlet for a few minutes? IDK that randomly works on computers.
What happened when you took the batteries out with the machine on? Did it stay running? then you put new batteries in? when and how did it now power on? Did you flip the power switch after new batteries were in?

No, i will try to unplug the machine few minutes.

When i took the batteries out, i didn't notice anything. That is only when i look at the playfield that i saw the machine seems off. I put the machine on and off and nothing happens but the backglass is lighted. DMD is off, sound is off.

#7 12 years ago

Sounds like you loosened some power connector when you were messing with the batteries. Make sure that everything is well seated and aligned properly.

#8 12 years ago

First thing to check is the power cord under the cover on the rear of the game. A lot of people have to move their games to change the batteries, and the cord can pull free in there pretty easily.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Holy_Pickle:

Dawson said:what did you do? repairs of any kind..
I removed the batteries with game on. I used my fingers to remove them...

did it fail while you were doing this? if so, at what point?

I think its most likely thhat you bonked something loose... merry xmas from the gods of pinball breakdowns :-/

#10 12 years ago

I checked and unplug all the connectors on the MPU, all are good.

Now i'm ready to take the MPU from Scared Stiff and put it into TOTAN. I know that i have to exchange the ROM, is there anything else to do before installing the SS MPU in TOTAN?

#11 12 years ago

dude Im really sorry I totally feel feel your pain

sleep on it

Im sure you are doing the research

it is a simple thing I bet some thing small .

all I can say is good luck

it will work out

T

#12 12 years ago

Do not switch mpus... That is a bad idea. It will tell you really quickly if there is a problem with the one in Totan if you are lucky, or it may wreck the one from SS.

If you checked the fuses, start checking power. Find out if it has the proper voltages going to the cpu board. Check all your connectors. Reseat your ribbon cables. I had a Dr. Who that would not boot without the sound and flipptronics board hooked up correctly.

#13 12 years ago

Do you get any power in the game? Did you check the power cord? Are all the voltage test points showing the correct voltages? Are the LEDs lit on the power driver board?

Do a little diagnosis before swapping boards. You're asking to introduce problems into 2 games now.

#14 12 years ago

For the record:

After reading your comment and checking all the things i have to, i swapped the boards.

I put the SS board into the TOTAN and HOURRA, it works!!
I tried the TOTAN board into SS and it works too...

My guess is when i changed the batteries into TOTAN, it created some kind of bug into the software. By removing and re-installing the software, it fixed the problem.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 36.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 84.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-totan-is-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.