• Latest reply 3 years ago by spblat
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3715 (resized).jpg
#1 9 years ago

I am out of ideas, so I am turning to the experts! I have a recently purchased TOM that has a problem with the trap door. It tries to raise up, but never gets more than half way before it immediately drops back down. It never gets high enough for the low power "Hold" circuit to hold it up. If I manually raise the trap door, then the hold circuit will hold it in place. The previous owner said the problem was there before.

I have rebuilt the solenoid assembly with a new A-20099 coil, and metal frame, to no avail. (yes I have read about some stainless steel frames having problems, but this problem was there with the old original frame.) I have also changed out the Power driver board with a known good one, again to no avail.

If I manually ground the driver transistors for the low and high power to the coil, the trap door works perfect. It seems to be that the software does not turn on the high power driver long enough to raise the trap door all the way.

I am running 1.2 software, not 1.3 which is the latest. Could this be a problem? I also have not tried a stronger coil in place of the A-20099 coil.

I am running out of ideas. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

If you manually ground it, nothing else is running. I'd suspect power loss. Are all coils weak ?

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

The coil stop is not broken off. It has the correct rubber stopper and correct springs.

#4 9 years ago

Is the mechanism working smoothly? Is there any binding? Did you change the coil sleeve, etc? The high power coil only goes for a very short time and your grounding is probably longer than the CPU applies power, so, my hunch is that something mechanically is stealing energy.

Also, getting power readings at various points and at the coils would be helpful. You should not have to up the coils power; mine works just fine with standard coils, but I did rebuild mine when I got it with a new plunger, sleeve, spring and grommet and it's been fine.

Marc

#5 9 years ago

Double check that the transistor you are grounding is the right value; a friend of mine had a vuk acting weak, and it turned out that a previous owner had replaced the transistor during a repair with a lower current one, hence lower drive to the coil.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Is the mechanism working smoothly? Is there any binding? Did you change the coil sleeve, etc? The high power coil only goes for a very short time and your grounding is probably longer than the CPU applies power, so, my hunch is that something mechanically is stealing energy.
Also, getting power readings at various points and at the coils would be helpful. You should not have to up the coils power; mine works just fine with standard coils, but I did rebuild mine when I got it with a new plunger, sleeve, spring and grommet and it's been fine.
Marc

The mechanism works really smoothly. No binding at all. I did not get a new plunger, but everything else is new. Could the plunger be magnetized? Yes I am sure my manually grounding the driver transistor is way longer than the software does it for. It just seems the software is way too short.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from bill354:

The mechanism works really smoothly. No binding at all. I did not get a new plunger, but everything else is new. Could the plunger be magnetized? Yes I am sure my manually grounding the driver transistor is way longer than the software does it for. It just seems the software is way too short.

It's not too short on everyone else's game. Something is different in your house; we just don't know what it is yet.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Double check that the transistor you are grounding is the right value; a friend of mine had a vuk acting weak, and it turned out that a previous owner had replaced the transistor during a repair with a lower current one, hence lower drive to the coil.

Really good idea, but the OP had indicated a different driver board also had the issue. Odds are that two different driver boards wouldn't have the wrong transistor. I think it's time to get the meter out and measure voltage.

#9 9 years ago

The high voltage to the coil is 69.5 vdc nominal, and it seems to drop to around 50 vdc when I ground the high power driver transistor. Seems reasonable. I do have a scope, I could look at the drive signal during trap door test mode if that would help?

#10 9 years ago

bump for the night crowd.

#11 9 years ago

I will measure my TOM tomorrow after work and see what my voltage is at the coils.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from bill354:

The high voltage to the coil is 69.5 vdc nominal, and it seems to drop to around 50 vdc when I ground the high power driver transistor. Seems reasonable. I do have a scope, I could look at the drive signal during trap door test mode if that would help?

Trap door test mode is a bad test. That will exhibit the same behavior you describe: in test mode, it only pops the trap door up a little and drops it down. The only way to really test the trap door is during a game. (Maybe take the glass off unless you're a good shot

Is your issue only in test mode, or in gameplay? If it's in test mode, mine does it too... In game play it's 100% fine. It's a bug in the diagnostics for this game.

Marc

#13 9 years ago

Thanks for the continuing comments Marc. Unfortunately mine fails the same in regular gameplay. In solenoid test the door only pops up momentarily, which I understand, but in trap door test, you put a ball down behind the trunk, and the trap door just does the same thing, popping up a little bit, and then back down, and then the ball tries to shoot out, unsuccessfully. I have to manually hold the trap door up to get the ball to shoot out.

#14 9 years ago

The test mode behavior you describe is exactly the same on my machine. As for why your machine isn't working in gameplay, I am just not sure what's up.

Marc

#15 9 years ago

Remove the spring, and report back how it works.....

#16 9 years ago

Hey

Had this problem on my TOM. It's been years so I'll try to explain as clearly as I can. The coil stop broke off on mine and I put a entire new steel bracket in. When I went to test it acted like yours does in that it would only lift a tiny bit then go back down. There is an adjustment down below on the trap door piece with a screw or possibly a nut (this is where it gets fuzzy) that needs to be adjusted. It allows you to adjust the piece up or down. There is a sweet spot that you need to hit. Not enough and you won't get the power to lift. It was working prior to me changing the bracket so I knew it was just an adjustment problem. As it turned out that's all it was. Concentrate your efforts there and I'm sure you will get it working. I wish I could explain more clearly...It's just been 5 years or more. Good luck.

#17 9 years ago

I will take the trap door assy apart again and check for any adjustments. Don't remember seeing any, but I have missed that before. Also will remove the spring. I'll report back.

#18 9 years ago

Good luck Bill. Wish I was closer so I could help out. I know if I could see it I would be able to remember better.

1 week later
#19 9 years ago

UPDATE - Well I took the trap door assembly apart again, but there is no adjustment on the shaft. But I did resolve the problem by putting in a slightly stronger coil #FL-11753 to raise the trap door. Apparently the coil is just enough stronger for the trap door to raise far enough for the hold to kick in. Wish I had this coil in stock when I started this project.

By the way can someone tell me how to edit the title of this particular posting? I have looked all over pinside and can't find out how to do this, but I see other people doing it on their posts.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from bill354:

By the way can someone tell me how to edit the title of this particular posting?

Go to your first post, hit the edit thingy on the top line with quote, report, ignore, and then you can alter the topic line.

LTG : )™

#21 9 years ago

Thanks, found it, LOL

#22 9 years ago

I am glad you found a fix. It's a little puzzling as the stock coil works for the rest of us. I wish I understood what's going on, but nevertheless, enjoy your fixed TOM!

Marc

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from bill354:

UPDATE - Well I took the trap door assembly apart again, but there is no adjustment on the shaft. But I did resolve the problem by putting in a slightly stronger coil #FL-11753 to raise the trap door. Apparently the coil is just enough stronger for the trap door to raise far enough for the hold to kick in. Wish I had this coil in stock when I started this project.
By the way can someone tell me how to edit the title of this particular posting? I have looked all over pinside and can't find out how to do this, but I see other people doing it on their posts.

I had the same problem when I replaced the bracket housing. i upgraded to the same coil and the problem was solved.

3 months later
#24 9 years ago

I had the exact same problem and used the same solution and all is working great now. Thanks all for the ideas, and its frustrating that Marco doesn't disclose this (or have a freakin clue about it). See my issue and solution here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-tom-trap-door-failure

5 years later
#25 3 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Hey
There is an adjustment down below on the trap door piece with a screw or possibly a nut (this is where it gets fuzzy) that needs to be adjusted. It allows you to adjust the piece up or down. There is a sweet spot that you need to hit.

interesting, would of never occurred to me to mess with that piece. I sent mantis a message asking about that, didn't make sense since both assemblies looked almost identical. I still might just grab a slightly more powerful coil just in case.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Hey
Had this problem on my TOM..

I wrote Kerry the guy who made these new assemblies and what he said makes sense. The old assemblies are made out of plated steel, a more ferrous metal, which in conjunction with the coil adds to the electromagnetism when its energized. The new ones are made out of stainless steel a tougher material in general, but not ferrous. i.e. why you might need a stronger coil. I've found that even coils of the same model have a different resistance (which might of played a role on your machine?), usually not off by much.

I looked for the adjustment you were referring to, was thinking maybe the trap door part could be moved up or down. Wasn't able to find anything though.

1 month later
#27 3 years ago

In case you googled "Theatre of Magic trapdoor issues" and found this thread, Allow me to assure you that:

- if you had a broken coil stop under the trapdoor
- and replaced it with the excellent Mantis replcement part
- and then found that the coil wasn't strong enough to raise the trapdoor

...then I'm happy to confirm what others have reported: upgrading the trapdoor raise coil from A-20099 to a yellow flipper coil (FL-11753 or A-15943) solved it. I don't think it's necessary to clip out the diodes in the replacement coil but I did while troubleshooting a separate problem after reassembly. (I forgot during reassembly that the trapdoor eject popper needs two springs, not just one.)

IMG_3715 (resized).jpgIMG_3715 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tom-trap-door-wont-stay-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.