Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160903_183233 (resized).jpg
    20160919_210409 (resized).jpg
    20160919_210354 (resized).jpg
    20160826_120326 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8752 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8749 (resized).JPG
    ebd02 (resized).jpg
    54e2095e875680d86639ad49c06c25dcfce715ef (resized).jpg
    IMG_0377 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0365 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0388 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0385 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calico1997.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm doing my first playfield swop on a Centaur (original playfield for a better original clear coated playfield).

Are there any good threads, web sites, or videos with procedures for doing playfield swaps? I'm hoping there's some good DIY tips out there that I can learn from. Only thing I saw of interest on Youtube was a guy who slid all the underside wired parts onto a sheet of cardboard and then slide all that onto the new playfield, like using a pizza oven. Pretty smart.

Thanks!

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the great forum link, erichill.

Read through it.

I'm now justifiably terrified.

#10 7 years ago

Thanks for all the great information guys. I really appreciate it. I'm moving from the old playfield to a restored and cleared orignal one as I don't have a CPR. At least all the screw holes should be in the right places. I was going to replace every screw back into the old PF so I can use it as a guide of which screw goes where. I'm not interested in tumbling screws from the underside. They're already in quite good shape.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm really glad someone said something like this.
    I'm going to be doing a swap on my Whirlwind this winter. I've sorta just decided to go the route of exactly what you said: Literally just transplant everything to the new playfield. Everyone else on here has these massive restoration threads where they make it look like you must scrub every wire and cable, and if I didn't stick my harness in a dishwasher, I'm doing something wrong.
    It's not that I don't want to take advantage of the opportunity to have the cleanest game in the world, I just want a playfield that doesn't look like a planking paint loss disaster--with the least amount of nonsense to worry about.

The response from Pinsiders here is so helpful, I cannot thank you enough. I'm learning a LOT from reading the responses and frankly, just spending a lot of time looking at the underside of my Centaur playfield is teaching me a lot. It helps to fully understand how everything is connected together.

I guess using new 44 sockets are better than new 555 wedge sockets? Good thing I did not load up on 555 LEDs before doing this : )

Tracing with a pencil around all the main parts and maybe the braid wire is brilliant.

I understand the why Freeplay40 says to molex all the coils, but frankly that seems like it would take a little more time than just clipping and resoldering them and I don't expect to replace coils all that often.

I've had filthy machines where the crud in the wire harness is so bad you can't see the colors. But on this particular machine the insides are so clean it is hard to believe it is from 1981. It looks only a few years old in there. Even the coin door wires were clean, accept for some kind of cola spill. Here's a pic of the cabinet bottm BEFORE I did any cleaning.

20160826_120326 (resized).jpg20160826_120326 (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago

Would be nice to have a rotisserie but maybe I'd get one if I do more swaps in the future. For now, just two really large folding tables, side by side, seems like the ticket. I fully agree, some big towels under the PFs sounds like a good idea. The pop bumper bodies may indeed need to be supported, as someone previously pointed out.

One unavoidable problem for me personally is CATS! They mess with everything when I'm not around. They especially like to knock little things off tables and then bat them around until they disappear. My strategy is to keep everything covered in blankets when not working on it. (yes, there's also a forum thread on cats and pinball).

20160903_183233 (resized).jpg20160903_183233 (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago

Here's the subject of discussion.

20160919_210354 (resized).jpg20160919_210354 (resized).jpg

20160919_210409 (resized).jpg20160919_210409 (resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago

Just what is it about the 81 Bally wedge light sockets that has everyone complaining? Obviously they must suck since everyone agrees on that. But why? They seem to all be fine and working properly. Do they break during the swap or something?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calico1997.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tips-for-doing-playfield-swap?tu=calico1997 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.