Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pickenheim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I picked up The Shadow last week, been sorting out small issuses but pretty much played.
Had some people over Friday night and I wasn't in the room but the coil for the mini kicker on the mini playfield locked up and burnt. It blew the fuse on the power board that controlled it. Unsoldered the kicker coil, disabled the mini playfield in the settings and replaced the fuse. Powered up and everything else plays OK. Is there any chance that I might not of fried the transistor controlling it ? I ordered a new coil and can replace that easily, but board work is beyond me. Any help is appreciated.
Billy

#2 8 years ago

I had the same problem with my battlefield drop target coil. I burnt two coils before testing the transistor and found it was bad. Had it replaced and it worked fine after that.

#3 8 years ago

I would imagine its def the transistor. Mine just did the same thing. My single drop target to enter the mini Pf coil locked on. I replaced the coil and it did the same thing. I replaced the transistor q5 I believe on the fliptronics board and it was good to go!

If you have another pin swap the fliptronics board and see if that's it.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I did a little more research and found that Q46 on the power driver board controls that coil. From the info on pinwiki I was able to test it w/ my meter and it does tone out so it's shorted. I checked a few others and they did not tone out so I know I have to send my board out to be fixed. It has a rottendog board and the guy I bought it from said it was brand new. My question now is what made the transister go ? If I replace the coil and get the board fixed might I still have a problem and burn them both out again ?

#5 8 years ago

If the diode on the coil was bad, that can short out the transistor. When the steel rod is pushed back into the coil by the spring, the collapsing magnetic field causes a charge to build in the coil. The diode blocks the charge from traveling back up the circuit. If the diode is shorted, the charge can go up the circuit to the transistor and short it out.

Your coil should come with a new diode so you should be ok after you get the transistor swapped out.

#6 8 years ago

Dewey- The diode for this coil is on the board so I will have that checked also when I send the board in.

6 months later
#7 8 years ago

Hi I was wondering if this problem was resolved. I have the same exact problem except after replacing Q46 and the diode and the coil (replaced with manual specified since a different one was being used on the mini kicker) the transistor gets stuck after a few minutes of normal function and needs to be replaced again and will blow fuse after a moment. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#8 8 years ago

Just wanted to update for posterity, I found the problem soon after posting here. The mini kicker solenoid was assembled upside down. The coil would get shorted out when hitting the post of the Battlefield when playing at some point. Everything works now, learned a lot tracking down these problems so it is all good. thx

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!