• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Tlamb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 4 years ago

I have am having some issues with my Taxi and was hoping for a little direction. It initially started with an error upon boot up. It said there was a switch error; LEFT bumper. I put the game into test mode and went into switch test. I tested the switch and all tested normally. Exited test mode and played a game, everything seemed to be working normally. Then I rebooted the game, and the switch error showed yet again. I went into test mode and this time I tested all the bumper switches in edge switch. I started getting some strange feedback then the RIGHT bumper locked up. I could hear the coil was locked so I turned off game. Rebooted and now there was no error but the coil right coil remained locked.

I would think it is the Q73 that controls the right bumper coil looking at the manual but wasnt sure why it was acting so flaky considering the original error was with the left bumper. Any one else run into this before?

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

You have two separate problems now.

With game off, lift play field and make certain that there is an air gap on the RT. bumper sol. switch that locked on.

Very well could be Q73. Also, keep in mind that the transistors that runs the pops and the slings on Taxi are CPU controlled. Sys11B was the first generation where that is true. Important information if replacing Q73 does not resolve the problem.

The initial error on left pop COULD be the points scoring switch not working as well. Once you get the RT pop sorted out, put the game in play mode again and confirm that the left pop is awarding a small amount of points, when activated. Those mechs have two switches, one that activates the pop and one that scores a small amount of points.

System 11's are awesome!

#3 4 years ago

Replaced Q73, all is well! I thought maybe the quirky stuff before was related. I had already adjusted the bumper switches, thinking once I resisted both, it would go back to normal (no error), and it did. Just though that the right bumper getting locked on around the same time was strange. Regardless, all is back in working order!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hartville, OH
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.