(Topic ID: 178484)

Tech: Tales from the Crypt: slow burn to boot - [SOLVED]

By cody_chunn

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Game died in the middle of a ball during a party.

My Crypt is slow to wake up when I power it up. Initially it does nothing, and the diag LEDs aren't right...

But if you let it sit, after a few minutes it says:

"NO...NOPE...NO PAY...NO PAYEM...NO PAYEM NO GAYEM!"

And then it stables out and works OK.

I have convinced myself I need to recap the Power Supply. Anybody seen this behavior in a DE and solved it?

#2 7 years ago

My DE Lethal Weapon 3 showed the same symptoms you are experiencing. Power supply capacitor C2 was leaking brown stuff. It is in the 5 volt circuit. Use a Digital meter to check the 5 volt test point on a cold power up. It will most likely be well below 5 volts and then slowly rise up to the point that the boards have enough voltage to work normally. Very common problem on those power supplies.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from mikat11:

My DE Lethal Weapon 3 showed the same symptoms you are experiencing. Power supply capacitor C2 was leaking brown stuff. It is in the 5 volt circuit. Use a Digital meter to check the 5 volt test point on a cold power up. It will most likely be well below 5 volts and then slowly rise up to the point that the boards have enough voltage to work normally. Very common problem on those power supplies.

Excellent! Thank you for the confirmation. I guess maybe I'll short-sell it and just cap the +5 circuit. Now I feel better about ordering parts ($).

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4 7 years ago

Well, I had one of the jumbo 30K uF on hand that filters the +5V bridge so I replaced it, but same results.

You were exactly right: +5VDC test pin was 2. something at power up and when it crossed 4.2 or near it booted to attract and then stuttered through the NO PAYEM quote then ran normally. Gonna try the Power Supply Re-Cap.

#5 7 years ago

Those DE power supply boards are the source of many problems....my solution is to replace with an Xpin (some like Rottendogs too) and move along....IMHO....

3 weeks later
#6 7 years ago

Well, my first instincts were right. Re-capping the +5 supply circuit fixed it. Two of the smaller caps had some electrolyte underneath them. Could not tell until they were removed.

Had a little problem with the voltage regulator IC. Strangely, some of the legs don't have a solder pad on the bottom of the board and I had two open-circuit legs. Ran a jumper and took care of that.

I went from totally dejected after replacing the caps and IC and seeing the game get worse, to testing continuity and proving what was the problem, then applying the fix, and finally turning on the machine and it booted right up and played great.

Thanks for the advice guys...now go check my Gorgar and Firepower threads!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tales-from-the-crypt-slow-burn-to-boot?hl=mikat11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.