(Topic ID: 70213)

Tech: TAF Thing drops ball in box when he shouldn't-FIXED!

By burningman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by burningman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thing directions.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hey Everyone...

Installed the Gold Roms a while back and have noticed that when Thing grabs the ball and gomez yells "no no no" he comes back up to put the ball back in the cup, but he has dropped it in the box and its being shot back out through the swamp kick out.

In the past, he used to bring the ball back up and place it in the cup. Is this something that is correct for a gold rom game?

#2 10 years ago

No that's not correct. Something is wrong in your machine causing it to drop that ball.

#3 10 years ago

thanks MXV...I will take a look inside the box when thing takes the ball and see if its hitting something

#4 10 years ago

Dirty magnet, foreign object in the way, sticky THING hole switch, to name a few possibilities...

#5 10 years ago

Seems like a broken wire at the magnet coil .

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Or a break in the wiring from magnet down into the game. It can be broken inside the casing where you can't see it. Years of moving caught up to it.

LTG : )

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or a break in the wiring from magnet down into the game. It can be broken inside the casing where you can't see it. Years of moving caught up to it.

ok...The magnet is able to pick the ball up and bring it into the box...is there another wire that keeps the magnet energized so that he still holds it during, "no, no, no"?

#8 10 years ago

There is an opto in there. Run the Thing test and see if it registers in both the up and down positions.

1 month later
#9 10 years ago

Hey Guys...finally had a chance to look at Thing and all tests register correctly. I did reseat the connector that comes out of the box. Still nothing. I then cleaned the metal bolt that pick up the ball to see if there was something causing it not to hold on the way up. No luck.

I then ran it with the box lid open so I could see what it was doing. Nothing in the way or hitting the ball. It appears to just to loose its magnetic hold (or falls right off) right after it starts its way back up.

I tried removing the box but I really can't figure out how to get to the screws that go up the back of the playfield. I did remove the two on the front and took a look but could not see much and would really like to get that entire box off. Do I need to remove the playfield to get to those screws back there?

Thanks again for all your help

#10 10 years ago

Should be able to get at those screws on the bottom and then the box lifts upwards and then outwards. Check the wiring from the coil down along the arm for any breaks in the wires. Insulation could be covering the break in the wire, but check where the wires are bending during movement of Thing. Hope you get your machine working!

#11 10 years ago

With the play field up, there are just two screws (at what is now the "top" of the box). Once you remove those, you can lift the box up and it will come out. You might have to wiggle it a little bit.

#12 10 years ago

thanks guys...first time trying to remove the box and sticking my hand back there, it felt like there were 4 screws I needed to remove. I will pull that box off this afternoon and take a look.

I am thinking it's got to be a wire that is sending the signal to hold the ball during No No No...(or at least I hope it is) And keeping with the postive thoughts, I will plug the soldering iron in before removing that box so it's ready.

#13 10 years ago

The box that you need to remove, which only has two screws, is the box metal box on the underside of the play field (not the box that Thing comes out of). Once you have that removed, you will be able to see what is going on down there. If you wanted to take the Thing hand off completely, there are four screws for that, but I highly doubt that will help you diagnose this particular problem.

#14 10 years ago

Ha...guess if I read the directions the box comes right off

ok...ran it back through switch opto test and she passed..also ran magnet test and it passed.
removed thing and inspected to see if there were any loose wires or connections and everything looks good.
Reseated J130 which is the connector that controls things magnet and even took a close look at pin 7 and it looks fine.

Reassembled and re-ran through opto test and magnet test and it passed. During Magnet Test it pulses the magnet to grip the ball. I wished there was a way to energize the magent for a long period. Then ran during game play during No No No. The magnet grabs the ball with authority from the hole and brings it in the box. But Somehow the cpu is killing power to the magnet when it hits the down stroke opto and I believe is causing the ball to just fall off into the box.

Any other suggestions guys? I was really hoping to see a broken wire...

thing directions.jpgthing directions.jpg
#15 10 years ago

Try a continuity test with your meter on the harness. I think it's the harness. As thing is moving, the harness
has a break in it. You may need to re-pin it.

#16 10 years ago

got tone from the board connector all the way to the coil connector on both wires, so the harness is good...

Its either the coil or the board. Found a post on how to check a coil and will check that tomorrow. Seems like checking the coil is just checking resistance and needs to read more than 3 ohms.

If the coil tests ok, what is the best procedure to check the board?

#17 10 years ago

wanted to add. I had gone through all the wiring visually and even removed the coil from things hand. Wires coming out of that coil seemed tight with no visible damage. I then went to retest the game after resetting connectors and the magnet would not engage at all during game play or during thing magnet test. I then came back and checked continuity and got the tone.

#18 10 years ago

Have you tried installing the old ROM and seeing what it does?

#19 10 years ago

swapped the rom...no dice
checked the coil and resistance was running greater than 7.5 so it appears the coil is good.

Is there something on the board that I can check? All other solinoids are firing so the fuse is good. How can I check to see if power is being sent to the coil from the board?

Any other ideas?

Thanks again guys for all the help

1 month later
#20 10 years ago

What ever happened to this? Did you figure it out?

#21 10 years ago

Got my new coil for Things hand but had a bit of a delay putting it in.

During the big freeze we had a busted pipe in the master bathroom which is on the third floor...when I pulled up to my house you could see water running out of the siding on the outside of the house...it wasn't good..three floors of water, but hopefully will be back into the pinball room soon to get the coil installed.

I was going to update as soon as the coil is installed...sorry for the delay in following up

#22 10 years ago

Oooo.... that stinks.

Our neighbor had a pipe burst this summer while on vacation. They had to gut the entire house. The pipe burst in August... they just told me today that construction will start soon with a projected move in date of late may early june!

Good luck with your house!

#23 10 years ago

Sorry to hear that man. Im sure that is a giant headache

#24 10 years ago

Well, the best thing was the Pinball room is on the other side of the house, so we were spared. I had mentioned to the wife that I need a pinball day this weekend so hopefully getting in and working on a few games...

#25 10 years ago

Might be rude to ask, but ive been curious how this works... When you have a busted pipe and it presumably floods the nearby areas of the house... Is that covered under normal house ins, or do you have to have flood ins? I thought flood ins was for natural disaster flooding from a river creek etc. but pipe busting causes water flood damage too...

Hope that osnt insensitve to ask. Just curious.

Glad you have a silver lining that the pims werent ruined.!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Might be rude to ask, but ive been curious how this works... When you have a busted pipe and it presumably floods the nearby areas of the house... Is that covered under normal house ins, or do you have to have flood ins? I thought flood ins was for natural disaster flooding from a river creek etc. but pipe busting causes water flood damage too...
Hope that osnt insensitve to ask. Just curious.
Glad you have a silver lining that the pims werent ruined.!

Not insensitive to ask at all. Since it was an inside pipe that froze it was covered under my normal home insurance. If it had been outside water, leaky roof, surface water, water coming up from the foundation, or a creek rising there would not have been coverage.

Quoted from LTG:

Quoted from wellarmed:

Yep...replaced the coil in things hand. At the same time replaced my first connector and pins. All is working fine now. Thing grabs the ball with authority and does what he is told! Thanks everyone for the help with this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1,159.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 180.00
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-taf-thing-drops-ball-in-box-when-he-shouldnt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.