(Topic ID: 97575)

tech: TAF - swamp kick out weak (solved!)

By mof

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RussMyers
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140717-TAF-before3.jpg
20140717-TAF-before2.jpg
20140717-TAF-before1.jpg
20140717_TAF_before5.jpg
20140717_TAF_after3.jpg
20140717_TAF_after6.jpg
20140717_TAF_after5.jpg
20140717_TAF_after4.jpg
20140717_TAF_after1.jpg
20140717_TAF_after2.jpg
kickout assembly.png
#1 9 years ago

I'm looking for tips on how to get a neighbor's TAF kick-out back into tip top shape.
Have you ever tackled a slow-ejecting cellar before?
These are my ideas. If you have any suggestions, fire away...

Current symptom:

Ball fires out slowly and hits the top of the sling, then bounces casually to the left flipper.

-mof

Possible causes:
1. assembly has shifted and no longer aims correctly (how would I view this? seems fine looking vertical from underneath)
2. trough area is very dirty inside, and the drag slows the ball down (fixed it, and it helped just a little)
3. solenoid assembly is very dirty and it doesn't kick well (it had a little drag, now it has a little less drag)
4. solenoid not getting enough power (75 vdc, looks good)
5. solenoid sleeve is old and dragging (nope, it's metal) <=== replaced with plastic sleeve, and it's fixed!
6. check switch (they are all good, I adjusted one)
7. check rubber plug at the end of the plunger stop (looks old but intact)
8. check for correct coil ae-23-800 (it's the wrong coil) <===
9. broken weld on kickout (this is messing up the aim, not the strength of the kick)

#2 9 years ago

I'd be thinking worn coil sleeve or plunger, or switch or something, not letting ball get into position for a good WHACK.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd be thinking worn coil sleeve or plunger, or switch or something, not letting ball get into position for a good WHACK.

I didn't think of that one! there may be a switch getting in the way for a good WHACK. Perhaps the switch needs adjustment. That would be a great first thing to try. Keep it from being involved, and see what happens.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=20&picno=9386

-mof

kickout assembly.pngkickout assembly.png

#5 9 years ago

Check the rubber plug at the end of the plunger stop (the big weighted end).

If it is degraded or missing it can cause the plunger to not get pulled in straight and clean.

RM

#6 9 years ago

Worn sleeve, plunger not hitting the ball dead-on, missing plunger stop, etc....Also it never hurts to clean the scoop quickly.

#8 9 years ago

I spent a rewarding 90 minutes with TAF. A few balls make it past the top of the sling now, but it's not what we are expecting. I was surprised by the metal sleeve!

1. cleaned out the kickout
2. adjusted the switches
3. cleaned out the solenoid components
4. discovered the undone weld on the back of the kickout

Still to do: check the power on the solenoid lugs. If that checks out, next thing to do will be to weld the assembly on a weekend.

I wasn't pleased with the free play in the brackets holding the solenoid in place, I could squeeze em down good, but once I tightened the nuts, it was no longer tight. I tried it twice and moved along.

-mof

BEFORE:

20140717_TAF_before5.jpg20140717_TAF_before5.jpg20140717-TAF-before3.jpg20140717-TAF-before3.jpg20140717-TAF-before2.jpg20140717-TAF-before2.jpg20140717-TAF-before1.jpg20140717-TAF-before1.jpg

AFTER:

20140717_TAF_after6.jpg20140717_TAF_after6.jpg20140717_TAF_after5.jpg20140717_TAF_after5.jpg20140717_TAF_after4.jpg20140717_TAF_after4.jpg20140717_TAF_after3.jpg20140717_TAF_after3.jpg20140717_TAF_after2.jpg20140717_TAF_after2.jpg20140717_TAF_after1.jpg20140717_TAF_after1.jpg

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Worn sleeve, plunger not hitting the ball dead-on, missing plunger stop, etc....Also it never hurts to clean the scoop quickly.

I'm not sure how to get a good view of "how" it's striking the ball ? It's stainless steel all around it.
-mof

#10 9 years ago

I would suspect that old coil but would replace the coil sleeve and clean the plunger good

#11 9 years ago

That old coil appears to be a AE-26-1200 coil.
It's supposed to be an AE-23-800, which would have much more power.
http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html
-mof

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

It's supposed to be an AE-23-800, which would have much more power.

Definitely part of the problem.

Have the spots on the scoop(images three and eight) been re-welded or just bent back into shape?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Definitely part of the problem.
Have the spots on the scoop(images three and eight) been re-welded or just bent back into shape?

They are not re-welded. I'll need to get it out of there again and welded into place some time.
-mof

#14 9 years ago

Is AE-23-800, per the original user guide -- definitely the part that should be in there?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AE-23-800

-mof

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

They are not re-welded. I'll need to get it out of there again and welded into place some time.
-mof

I wouldn't expect the scoop to work properly until it has been welded. Mine has a 26-1200.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Mine has a 26-1200.

It does, eh?
Do you ever get one ball in there, and then you fire a second ball in there really quick? Can yours fire both out?

I'll try holding the weld shut and see what results I get.
-mof

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Do you ever get one ball in there, and then you fire a second ball in there really quick? Can yours fire both out?

One at a time, yes.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

One at a time, yes.

Wait, this machine tries to get them all out in a group of 2 or 3... much like a weak shooter spring that can't handle the load. Is that expected behavior?
-mof

#19 9 years ago

hi mof my game shoots them out one at a time.check the switches in the scoop assembly. g.l. joe

#20 9 years ago

Ran a few tests.

1. Swiveled the plastic out of the way, and use my hand to hold the kickout in place as if it were welded in place.
It helped the direction a LOT. It did not help the strength of the ball

2. I measured power
75 vdc as expected...

3. I put the coil in coil test with the PF vertical, and watched it and it seems to fire ok, I can't really say whether it's strong enough or not from that test.

I'm going to stick with replacing the coil with a larger coil to spec as the current plan, unless someone can think of something I've not considered

-mof

#21 9 years ago

As joe2012 said, it should only be shooting out one ball at a time. Are you saying that when only one ball is in the swamp and it shoots it out that it is weak, or just when multiple balls are involved? If it's trying to shoot out multiple balls at once, then they are jamming up and slowing down the kickout.

Also, based on my game I don't think you need the stronger coil. There's something else wrong here.

#22 9 years ago

It's weak with one bal.

Quoted from terryb:As joe2012 said, it should only be shooting out one ball at a time. Are you saying that when only one ball is in the swamp and it shoots it out that it is weak, or just when multiple balls are involved? If it's trying to shoot out multiple balls at once, then they are jamming up and slowing down the kickout.
Also, based on my game I don't think you need the stronger coil. There's something else wrong here.

1. It's weak with one ball.
2. It sometimes gets two balls in there. I think one instance is when multiball starts, and you have one ball in there, and one in the chair, I think the chair fires first, and then you can jam it into the swamp, putting two in there.

I don't get a lot of plays on this machine.

-mof

#23 9 years ago

hi mof, foe multi ball, spell greed,the bookcase opens .thing ramp or bookcase locks the 2 balls. the chair or bookcase will start multiball. now back to the swamp kickout,with the plfd.up. look at the kickout to the scoop .with your finger move the plunger in.is it going straight in and not on an angle. you can adjust the bracket to line it up. joe

1 week later
#24 9 years ago

What is the deal with the metal sleeve in there? I cleaned it out -- should I drop a plastic one in there and see if it improves? I don't feel any resistance in there when I move it manually.

Now the kicker is so weak, it wont feed 1 ball up... =(

-mof

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

should I drop a plastic one in there

Yes. Metal ones can wear funny and the plunger will tear up the coil then.

#26 9 years ago

hi mof, I have an ae-23-800 coil and plastic sleeve on my game. no diode on my coil. joe

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ok, before I try anything else, I'll drop a plastic sleeve in there and see it makes a difference.

-mof

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

All fixed!
Thank you, LTG.

Thanks for pointing out the evil of metal sleeves. I had cleaned it out and inspected it and re-inserted it, and I saw no visible issues.

Should they all be changed out at the next tear down shop job on this machine?

-mof

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

All fixed!
Thank you, LTG.
Thanks for pointing out the evil of metal sleeves. I had cleaned it out and inspected it and re-inserted it, and I saw no visible issues.
Should they all be changed out at the next tear down shop job on this machine?
-mof

Yes, all metal sleeves should be discarded and replace with new nylon sleeves.

RM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 180.00
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,059.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-taf-swamp-kick-out-weak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.