3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by yowl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hive Mind,

Recently our TAF lower left flipper stopped working. I'm admittedly not great with repair. Fuse F102 was also blown. I figured the coil was bad and replaced it - and the fuse. I turned on the machine, the flipper energized and blew the fuse. I've checked all the wiring and EOS - seems fine. I don't see how I can use the machine diagnostics, as the flipper energizes and fuse blows as soon as I turn on the machine.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

#2 3 years ago

I'm thinking Diodes back to front or you have the Primary and secondary wiring connected wrong. Most likely the later
    EOS switch can be open circuit with no ill effect

#3 3 years ago

First you had a non-working flipper with no other symptoms? Then you swapped the coil and it now locks on a blows the fuse? Did you install a coil with the proper diode? You say you are "not great with repair," did you unsolder the diodes when you put the coil in by mistake? Have you tested them?

You probably need to test the hold TIP 102 driving transistors on the fliptronics board as well. Flipper problems are common with the WPC games, you should be able to search the forum and or PinWiki for the diagnostic steps for your TIP and diodes if you aren't sure how to do that.

#4 3 years ago

Remove J902 from the Fliptonics Board and see if the Fuse still Blows....If it does then you stuffed up the wiring or Didoes

#5 3 years ago

If the Wiring and Diodes are correct then Q3 or Q10 on the Fliptronics board will be short circuit if the Primary Coil is the issue.
    An activated secondary coil will not blow the fuse....an Activated Primary will from Q3 or Q10 will blow the fuse

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from WH20_Buzz:

If the Wiring and Diodes are correct then Q3 or Q10 on the Fliptronics board will be short circuit if the Primary Coil is the issue.
    An activated secondary coil will not blow the fuse....an Activated Primary will from Q3 or Q10 will blow the fuse

Hi all,

Thank you for your direction and suggestions. I'll dig in, learn, and report back.

2 months later
    #7 2 years ago

11earl, how did you get on?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-taf-left-flipper-energized-on-power-on?hl=wh20_buzz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.