• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
2365A031-439C-48A7-9D6C-9F6019E2AE78 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Symptom: when the left flipper is pressed, it fires the switch on the left rollover
No switch issues reported ( I think), have buzzed test switch - it’s open.

Tried:
Switch mostly works when triggered manually as does others but need further testing

Swapped out alltek mpu board - same issue.
The switch does not test closed.
I temporarily swapped in an alltek mpu and it has the same issue.

I see an auxiliary lamp driver board comes into play with these rollovers.

Not sure where to next
Thanks in advance

#2 3 years ago

Is the switch just too closely gapped and being triggered by the vibration of the flipper coil? Put something in between the rollover switch contacts to prevent it from closing and play a game. Does the problem go away? If so, it is a gapping issue.

#3 3 years ago

Key information that I missed in original post. There are two leaf switches on both flipper buttons, one for the flipper and one that changes the lane lamp. If I manually engage either the right or left leaf switch without the flipper, it triggers the switch

#4 3 years ago

Can you find the switches on the switch matrix and let me know which ones?

2365A031-439C-48A7-9D6C-9F6019E2AE78 (resized).png2365A031-439C-48A7-9D6C-9F6019E2AE78 (resized).png

#5 3 years ago

It’s the top left lane switch
So there must be a short to that lead switch somewhere...

#6 3 years ago

Ok, so you can see from this image, that the lane switch is the same as on the switch diagram above as the one labeled "right flipper button". That is in the same return row as the "top left lane switch". I'm guessing that when this happens, both the 1st and 4th balls are in the trough. So, I'm guessing a shorted diode on one of those 4 switches. I would check the 1st ball trough switch first for the shorted diode.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 3 years ago

Thankyou @Nokoro, diode issue on switch in trough.
Sorry I don’t understand that logic you applied to fix that. Could you explain please

#8 3 years ago

Great! I’m glad that solved it. I’ve learned everything I know from diagnosing diode problems from this excellent video by terryb

In your case, current was going up column ST0 when that column was pulsed, over through row I0, through the closed switch in trough 1, through the shorted diode, which then allowed current to go down column ST2. Because the flipper switch was closed, the current was allowed to go out row I4. When the computer saw a signal at I4 when ST0 was pulsed, it read it as the lane switch being closed.

The video explains it a lot better, and with pictures!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
Machine - For Sale
Zemst

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-switch-top-left-rollover-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.