(Topic ID: 224002)

TECH: Super Mario Bros Castle Motor Not Spinning

By darcangeloel

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcangeloel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi Pinside,

I'm working on cleaning up a super mario bros that had some pretty serious humidity damage for a friend. I've got everything sorted out but I can't seem to get the castle to spin. The motor spins freely and I can see the rod the plastic spins on turning if I spin the motor over by hand. I've checked and I see the motor relay engaging when the game calls for to motor to start. Also the relay works fine in the solenoid test. I find I am not getting 50VAC at the motor lugs but I'm somewhat stumped on what to try next. It feels like a fuse but I checked all the ones I could find.

So two questions
1. What should I try next
2 During the solenoid test if I turn the motor relay on should the castle start turning? To test I started a game and got into super mode then lifted the pf and checked for voltage at the lugs of the motor and got nothing.

Thanks a ton!

#2 5 years ago

Afternoon Crowd Bump

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

To answer your second question the castle should run in motor test.
On the game I used to have I played around with the relay with the game on to see if I could manually start the castle. I was able to see how the relay wasn’t hitting just right. Took tweaking. Can you start it by manually pushing the relay? (Careful where you put your hands under there!)

Interesting, dumb question, for the leads the relay closes should I get continuity on one of the legs if the relay is closing correctly (If I understand correctly all it is doing is manually closing that switch to supply voltage or a ground (Return). (Game Off) I would put one lead on the leg of the switch that gets pushed into the stationary leg and the other lead on one of the coil legs for the motor should I get continuity? If so does that mean the relay is working correctly?

Thanks!

#5 5 years ago

So the relay was an issue for sure. I am now getting 50vac at the connector but the motor doesn't turn and I still get 0 v across the lugs on the coil for the motor. This makes me think the coil is internally open or for some reason not connecting to the motor housing. I get continity across the lugs so I don't think the coil itself is the issue but even if it was I don't think this is the type of thing you can just crack open and work on lol. Time for a replacement I guess.

#7 5 years ago

No worries. I dug into this more and after I fixed the relay (The contacts were super corroded) I got the 50VAC at the connector for the motor. The motor is just internally open (Dead), and It's riveted together so I don't think it was meant to be serviced. Replacing the motor will resolve the issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcangeloel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-super-mario-bros-castle-motor-not-spinning?tu=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.