(Topic ID: 27039)

TECH: Stubborn Substance On Inserts (Under PF Side); Recommended Cleanup Method?

By NM

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by NM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC00044.JPG
DSC00049.JPG
DSC00035.JPG

#1 6 years ago

How would you guys go about cleaning up these inserts?

The obvious stuff didn't work: Windex, 409, Goo Gone using Q-Tips & a toothbrush.

Note the substance on the red insert is actually different than the stuff on the shields.

Best way I can describe it:

The stuff on the red insert: the analogy would be "oxidation" if it were metal.

The stuff on the shields: resembles clear-coat that's been "baked" or burnt...and now could be scraped off with a fingernail/plastic razor blade.

What's odd is I would rate this game as an extremely nice example (near CQ otherwise, lightly routed...some such term would apply).

TIA.

// Error: Image 47383 not found // DSC00035.JPG DSC00049.JPG DSC00044.JPG

#3 6 years ago

i use windex in a cup and dip q tips. probably need 2-4 per insert. nice and shiney

never seen a game when it doesn't come off

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

windex and q tips nice and shiney [8)]

He tried Windex, and if you use Windex with ammonia it will not be kind to plastic.

LTG

#6 6 years ago

Have you tried the trick with the upside down air duster. You blast them with the freon.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

He tried Windex, and if you use Windex with ammonia it will not be kind to plastic.
LTG

i know clay uses that method in one of his top videos. i figured clay would know the best. won't nov 1 or 2 leave a murky film?

#8 6 years ago

Ammonia eats plastic or breaks it down over time. No matter who uses it.

Novus 2 won't leave a film if you rub it with a soft rag. And can really clean caked on crap like that guy's inserts. That isn't just dirt, heat from the bulbs baked it on too.

If you have film left from Novus 2, you didn't get it and all the dirt off.

LTG

#9 6 years ago

I don't believe those will clean up. Those are the shield inserts on a STTNG and the ball saver insert. They seem to have issues on most games where the opaqueness of the insert degrades over time. If you go at it hard you will remove the opaque coating and see clear through the shield insert and into the raw bulb/pcb board underneath.

#10 6 years ago

Yes, the Shields on STTNG & Return To Duty

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Craigmack:

I don't believe those will clean up. Those are the shield inserts on a STTNG and the ball saver insert. They seem to have issues on most games where the opaqueness of the insert degrades over time. If you go at it hard you will remove the opaque coating and see clear through the shield insert and into the raw bulb/pcb board underneath.

Oh OK, well that would explain it: some kind of opaque application on the Shields from the factory; obviously better leave them be (they look pretty good from up top).

Was this opaque coating applied to the Return To Duty insert also?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monclova, OH

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside