• Latest reply 4 years ago by meSz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WPT_Switches.jpg
#1 4 years ago

Helping a guy out with his WPT game and came across a few errors I am looking for input on .....

1. Upon turning the fame on the JAIL DEVICE will activate and after 15 times it stops. Once it stops the display advises JALI DEVICE MALFUNCTION. I worked on one of these before and it was the optos. I cleaned them but this had no bearing. When I put the game into TEST mode the optos tested ok.

2. The bottom pop bumper is not working. It works in test mode though. I lifted the playfield and physically closed the switch to no avail. Diode???

3. Not really an issue but....this machine is on location and the guy has a Tournament Button in the game but it was never installed. Is this as simple as installing the button and going to menu to turn the feature on?

Thanks in advance for input.

#2 4 years ago

#3 4 years ago

The problem I have with my jail is that the playfield itself can get dirty and scratched. I would check the switch with a pinball and make sure it's working perfectly. I replaced my upper playfield with a new one; Marco has them. It needs to be taken out and cleaned aggressively again.

I would assume your pop bumper switch is not working. Multimeter on continuity, buzz it out until you find the break. Jump the wires if need be. Could be diode as well, of course (most likely physically cracked).

From the factory, these games shipped with a tournament button in the lockdown bar. You should have a 5-pin housing nearby to the coin door. Cliffy makes a relocation kit that allows remounting it to the DBV hole on the coin door that I like. I didn't like unplugging it and replugging it. Once that's set up, it will "just work" if tournament mode is on. (I turned tournament mode off when I discovered it didn't show high scores.)

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

2. The bottom pop bumper is not working. It works in test mode though. I lifted the playfield and physically closed the switch to no avail.

Does the switch work in Switch Test ? May just need cleaning.

Quoted from meSz:

1. Upon turning the fame on the JAIL DEVICE will activate and after 15 times it stops. Once it stops the display advises JALI DEVICE MALFUNCTION. I worked on one of these before and it was the optos. I cleaned them but this had no bearing. When I put the game into TEST mode the optos tested ok.

Somethings is making it stick, then optos don't respond and game knows it's broken.

Quoted from meSz:

3. Not really an issue but....this machine is on location and the guy has a Tournament Button in the game but it was never installed. Is this as simple as installing the button and going to menu to turn the feature on?

I don't recall if WPT has it in the game or not. Go into the menu, find the tournament set up if it's in there, try starting a tournament. If you can set one up, start, stop, # of balls etc. Then stick the button in, wire it up, and then when a tournament is running you can start it with the tournament button. If you can't start one, then you need the TOPS board and harness to run tournaments.

LTG : )

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Does the switch work in Switch Test ? May just need cleaning.

No it doesn't Lloyd! If I test the coil in test mode it will fire. I physically closed the switch by hand and it's not registering so thinking ts4z might be right in the sense there is a break in the wire!

Quoted from LTG:

Somethings is making it stick, then optos don't respond and game knows it's broken.

Yeah as stated, once the game is turned on it will open/close 15 times and then the display shows there is a malfunction with it. I did check that the opto in front of the Jail was working properly but if I understand correctly there is another opto further back! I didnt check this one!

Quoted from LTG:

I don't recall if WPT has it in the game or not. Go into the menu, find the tournament set up if it's in there, try starting a tournament. If you can set one up, start, stop, # of balls etc. Then stick the button in, wire it up, and then when a tournament is running you can start it with the tournament button. If you can't start one, then you need the TOPS board and harness to run tournaments.

Okay brilliant!

Thanks for the post!

2 weeks later
#6 4 years ago

Reviving this thread as I was out of town for a little and just getting back to this.

What I did find is the front opto registers but the back opto is not (when in test mode) so appears the back opto is the culprit. I guess removing the upper playfield is the best way to get at that opto but also to clean the playfield (pf) as well??? Any input on doing this? I did a complete tear down of a WPT pf before but that was removing everything. Looking to see if anyone has any advice on the easiest way to remove just the upper playfield to fix the opto (hoping it's just a detached wire). If it's an opto itself which opto part number do I need (prob order off Mouser)?

The pop bumper, I didn't have jumper wires with me at the time so couldn't jump it. Also, didnt have a meter with me (most of my tools are back East limited as to what I have)!

Thanks for the input!

#7 4 years ago

I believe the jail assembly can be un screwed from the bottom side and it'll drop right out if i remember correctly? I had a similar issue where the jail assembly would act up during game play and the rear optos were flaky..

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from kms_pinball:

I believe the jail assembly can be un screwed from the bottom side and it'll drop right out if i remember correctly? I had a similar issue where the jail assembly would act up during game play and the rear optos were flaky..

appreciate the post and now that you said that I seem to recall the same thing. Been years since I took one out.

#9 4 years ago

Update (Capt Log....) I spent a little time with this machine again today and was able to fix the Jail Bar issue:

Quoted from meSz:

appreciate the post and now that you said that I seem to recall the same thing. Been years since I took one out.

Actually the Jail Assembly comes off from the back board of the playfield. There are six screws that attache the assembly to the backboard. You also have to unplug the connectors. Actually pretty easy to remove.

Once I removed the assembly I cleaned the acrylic playfield area where the optos shine through and also cleaned the optos themselves. It's now functioning as it should!

Last thing to tackle is the Bottom (center) pop bumper issue. Unfortunately I forgot most of the tools, that I brought from the East coast, so I didn't have what was needed. Nonetheless, all three of the pop bumpers work in Test mod when I fire the coils. When I put the game into test switch mode the switch does not register so I know it's the switch itself! Diode maybe??? I don't have a multi-meter with me so is there an easy way to test this? I do have a set of jumper wires!

Again, thanks for all the assistance!

Just a note about this machine .... this machine is on location and is really clean for a routed machine. Outside of the pop bumper the machine is working 100% even all the bulbs.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Diode maybe???

3 bad ? No.

Broken wire/connection from switch to board more likely, especially a wire common to all three.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

3 bad ? No.
Broken wire/connection from switch to board more likely, especially a wire common to all three.

Apologies if I wasn't clear Lloyd, only the one pop bumper (bottom center) is not working. The other two are working.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Apologies if I wasn't clear Lloyd, only the one pop bumper (bottom center) is not working. The other two are working.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

so I know it's the switch itself!

Leaf blade ? Is it clean ?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Quoted from LTG:

Leaf blade ? Is it clean ?

Thanks Lloyd will give it a look next time I am able to get out there!

#15 4 years ago

I have a world poker tour where the opto board you speak of missing , anyone have an extra or know where I can find one

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Also, check the version of the software. The version most of these have isn't the final one and it has bugs (like and extra ball reset condition). Updating is easy, so if you don't have the latest (14.0), it's easy to fix.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from goob92:

I have a world poker tour where the opto board you speak of missing , anyone have an extra or know where I can find one

Do a Google search as I found several places to have it albeit they're international pinball part places but you can still get it! Apparently this part is no longer made. Also, keep in mind that there are two parts to this....a receiver and transmitter opto board. Are you missing both or just one!

Quoted from PinMonk:

Also, check the version of the software. The version most of these have isn't the final one and it has bugs (like and extra ball reset condition). Updating is easy, so if you don't have the latest (14.0), it's easy to fix.

Thanks for the post as I overlooked this. Well I don't think this is the issue with the pop bumper it's something I will do to update the machine!

#18 4 years ago

Okay so had a chance to run down and look at the WPT today! First thing I did was install a new battery and then updated the code!

So onto the pop bumper. Keep in mind I have limited tools and by no means am I an electrical engineer. I had a few diodes so I figured as cheap as they are I would put a new one in as opposed to searching for broken wire. Went into Test mode and the pop bumper works. Thought I was out of the woods but upon coming out of test mode the game just cycles the balls. When I went into alerts I am getting a deluge of alerts for the green/brown wire which happens to be the wires that support the pop bumper. So by putting the new diode
in it's causing issues with everything that runs off the green/brown wire. I confirmed I installed the diode in the right direction (ban part towards the lug end of the switch).

Any insight? ? (Calling Dr. Lloyd)

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Any insight?

Sounds like the new diode ? shorted switch matrix stuff on the board. Or changing the batteries flexed the board ?

No idea the what or why.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Sounds like the new diode ? shorted switch matrix stuff on the board. Or changing the batteries flexed the board ?
No idea the what or why.

Yeah something happened as I ran back down to confirm that I wired it correctly, I did, and I took the diode back out and the problem persist.

I know a few years back I worked on one of these and had a similar issue and wound up calling Stern. Turned out to be the board was bad and they actually had a recall on it. So I will call Stern tomorrow and see if they can help more to come

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Turned out to be the board was bad and they actually had a recall on it. So I will call Stern tomorrow and see if they can help more to come

Spoke to Chas (Stern) and was advised to look at the CPU to see if it was a Rev F board as that's the board they had issues with. One of the issues was that the machine would go into endless multi-ball and just keep putting the balls into the shooter lane (problem I am having). So need to run back down and see what board is in the machine!

#22 4 years ago

So I do have a Rev F board but I am not convinced this is the issue just yet! Someone help me out with the schematics, I am not very proficient, and confirm for me what connector (i.e. J1) and pin numbers are for the ball switches/optos on the ball through please? I want to check and make sure that the OPTOs aren't the issue. When I go back down I will throw the game into test and see if the OPTOs are the switches in the through are all working correctly.

I also recall that there was a wire, it was either J13 or J6 pin 1, that the sheathing was scalped a little but nothing that was alarming. Looking to confirm which Switches these are for! Again, just trying to think of everything here before sending the board out!

#23 4 years ago

bump

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

So I do have a Rev F board but I am not convinced this is the issue just yet! Someone help me out with the schematics, I am not very proficient, and confirm for me what connector (i.e. J1) and pin numbers are for the ball switches/optos on the ball through please? I want to check and make sure that the OPTOs aren't the issue. When I go back down I will throw the game into test and see if the OPTOs are the switches in the through are all working correctly.
I also recall that there was a wire, it was either J13 or J6 pin 1, that the sheathing was scalped a little but nothing that was alarming. Looking to confirm which Switches these are for! Again, just trying to think of everything here before sending the board out!

Switch numbers are 18-22
J1 Pin 1 is the strobe for the ball trough switches.
J6 pins 5,6,7,8,9 are the returns.
WPT_Switches.jpgWPT_Switches.jpg

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Switch numbers are 18-22
J1 Pin 1 is the strobe for the ball trough switches.
J6 pins 5,6,7,8,9 are the returns.
[quoted image]

Thank you

#26 4 years ago

Just a follow-up and to close this out. Also, wanted to document this in case someone else has this issue(s).

Went back down today and worked on WPT. Got it up and working ALMOST 100%. Game plays and all BUT when it goes into multi-ball it's endless! Balls will drain and just keep coming out over and over so it's going into endless multi-ball as per Service Bulletin 163 https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb163.pdf

So long story short the CPU needs to be sent back to be fixed. The unfortunate part to this is that STERN no longer covers this under warranty, which I can understand as it's been 13 years, so the owner will need to pay 125$ and wait a month, maybe longer, for it to be fixed.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Just a follow-up and to close this out. Also, wanted to document this in case someone else has this issue(s).
Went back down today and worked on WPT. Got it up and working ALMOST 100%. Game plays and all BUT when it goes into multi-ball it's endless! Balls will drain and just keep coming out over and over so it's going into endless multi-ball as per Service Bulletin 163 https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb163.pdf
So long story short the CPU needs to be sent back to be fixed. The unfortunate part to this is that STERN no longer covers this under warranty, which I can understand as it's been 13 years, so the owner will need to pay 125$ and wait a month, maybe longer, for it to be fixed.

I'm assuming Stern doesn't share what the actual update to the board is. Sooo....

Photograph the CPU board carefully in high-res with multiple shots before you send it and compare it to photos you take of the replacement CPU board. If it's something easy like a resistor that's changed, it'll bring the repair down from $125 + shipping to like $1.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm assuming Stern doesn't share what the actual update to the board is. Sooo....
Photograph the CPU board carefully in high-res with multiple shots before you send it and compare it to photos you take of the replacement CPU board. If it's something easy like a resistor that's changed, it'll bring the repair down from $125 + shipping to like $1.

Actually Chas told me what was all done to it as I asked him if it was something one could do themselves. I forget all the particulars as I was driving at the time I talked to him but I recall him saying that their was programming involved so one couldn't do it themselves. Also, he advised that STERN doesn't do the work but the board manufacturer does it as it was an issue on their end.

But I will take pictures just to see, at a minimum, if I get the same board back or not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-stern-wpt-assistance-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.