• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Machine: Stern Star Trek Pro

Issue: The coils stopped working during a game. Fuses in the Power Board showed F5, F7, F8 and F10 as being out since there was no red LED light above the fuse holder.

Steps Taken: I tested each fuse with a MultiMeter and all four tested fine. I then replaced each fuse with a brand new replacement. The RED LED lights above the fuse holder did not come on with the fresh fuses. The coils still do not work.

Any suggestions on next step? I will be calling Stern Support on Monday, but I was hoping someone else may have experienced this issue and knows of a fix.

Marcus

#2 5 years ago

Lost coil power before the fuses. Fuse LEDs out because no power. Good fuses there won't help.

Coil power main fuse ? Bridge rectifier ? A break in continuity on the board for 50 volts ?

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Issue Resolution:

The upper right pop bumper coil had burned itself out. The Sam system protected the rest of the system by preventing power to flow to the coil paths.

Clipping the power from the burned pop bumper coil allowed all of the fuses associated with the solenoid coils to get power once again.

Pretty Neat. Time for a new coil!

Lessons learned:
Bright light is a great way to find a burned coil.

Thanks LTG for your help!

Marcus

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Issue Resolution:
The upper right pop bumper coil had burned itself out. The Spike system protected the rest of the system by preventing power to flow to the coil paths.
Clipping the power from the burned pop bumper coil allowed all of the fuses associated with the solenoid coils to get power once again.
Pretty Neat. Time for a new coil!
Lessons learned:
Bright light is a great way to find a burned coil.
Thanks LTG for your help!
Marcus

Thanks for posting your resolution. Could you smell the burned coil, too? That usually is the best hint of a bad coil, but not always.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

The Spike system protected

*SAM*

#6 5 years ago

You are right. I'll update that immediately.

Marcus

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Thanks for posting your resolution. Could you smell the burned coil, too? That usually is the best hint of a bad coil, but not always.

We smelled it, but it was not strong. I was swamped that day, so i just turned off the game once I encountered the problem with the fuses not showing as good on the board.

I did perform a quick glance around looking for the culprit coil, but I did not see that is was truly toasty until the next day. Took a second set of eyes to find it since it so far down on the underside of the playfield.

Marcus

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-stern-star-trek-pro- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.