Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

My ST Premium is having an issue that I'm hoping someone can help me resolve as I haven't been able to find any past threads/posts that deal with this specifically nor the subject of Stern LED boards in general.

All of the center inserts (Shoot Again, The Captain's Chair, modes, and photon torpedos) no longer light up except for a few seconds when I first start up the game after it has been off for an extended time, or a brief time later during an occasional game.

These inserts are collectively lit by 3 connected LED boards that are fed by a single cable. I've checked all applicable connections and boards back to the backbox source and substituted cables without finding anything. All boards appear to be getting power as the red LED signal lamp is flashing on each.

Anyone else experienced this problem with their ST? Any help or recommendations for diagnosing this would be appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

What do they do in test?

#3 7 years ago

I only had problems with the missle light board. I had to replace mine.

Since you have so many boards out at once, replace the CAT 5 wire with a different one. Believe it or not, I had a problem with my KISS Cabinet Node Board...the fix was a new wire.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

What do they do in test?

They don't light in the lamp tests. No other applicable tests or alerts that I can see.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I only had problems with the missle light board. I had to replace mine.
Since you have so many boards out at once, replace the CAT 5 wire with a different one. Believe it or not, I had a problem with my KISS Cabinet Node Board...the fix was a new wire.

I thought that this might be the problem too, but I tried substituting CAT 5 cables and it didn't fix the issue.

I'm figuring that since these inserts' LEDs work normally in attract mode for about 5-10 seconds (before then going dead) when the game has been off a while, that the issue is probably in a control board (?). My electrical knowledge is pretty much limited to basics/EMs though and I have no idea how to diagnose circuit board/component source issues (other than substituting another board).

2 weeks later
#5 7 years ago

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you will be replacing this board

1 week later
#6 7 years ago

Stern tech's best guess is the driver board that feeds all of the center inserts' LEDs. Unfortunately, I'm currently unaware of how to test it and buying a replacement is a potentially expensive risk (game is out of warranty) if it's not the problem.

As the LEDs have now typically begun working once the game has been on for 10 minutes or so (?!), I'm standing by on purchasing a new driver board for the time being.

#7 7 years ago

Sounds like a thermal issue or a cold solder joint.
The main board is the hex shaped one in the middle with 4 RJ45 jacks in it; right?
It might be the crappy DC2DC converter on that board. When it's failing; try and measure VNB and VCC on that board. Maybe one of those is "out" causing your problem.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks for the info! (Gotta admit that I had to look up VNB and VCC though as those are new to me.)

I'll look at measuring these.

#9 7 years ago

They are the two voltages which feed the anodes of the RGB inserts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-stern-star-trek-center-inserts-outage-mystery and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.