Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PinFixin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Well, I finally got my Hot Hand. I've been looking for one of these for about 25 years. It's in pretty nice shape too. But I have a weird wiring issue.

There is a 4 pin molex connector in the bottom of the cabinet with Wht-Grn and Wht-Brn wires going to the pot and then Grn-Wht and Grn-Yellow wires going to the speaker. The problem is this connector isn't hooked up to anything. I was assuming it should go to the sound board, but I just wanted to make sure I'm reading the schematic right.

The sound board is plugged into the top connector on the MPU. It looks like the pot should go to the Sound Board J3 connector pins 1 and 3, and then the speaker goes to J3 pins 8 and 9. The issue is these connectors look great and like they were wired at the factory, and the wires go to the top of the MPU instead of down into the cabinet.

I guess I'm just confused as to what this connector would plug into. A picture of the wiring (IPDB has some pictures of the bottom of the cabinet, but it's hard to see where the wires are going), or if anyone can add anything as to where these wires should hook up to, I'd surely appreciate it.

-Pat

#2 7 years ago

I see the same thing you do from the schematic.

Since the wires on SB100 sound board J3 pins 1, 3, 8, & 9 don't go where it appears they should, what pins are they connecting to on the MPU?

You just got it, do you know if it's been played like this?

The pinwiki shows a test procedure that you could use to determine if the board is working, even if your speaker isn't hooked up.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#SB-100_Sound_Board
It's specifically for setting it up after changing pots but could be used in your case as well.

#3 7 years ago

As usual, the Stern schematics look like a hand drawn version of Bally ones. Looking at it is just giving me a headache. Looks like you are right as far as where the pot and speaker plug in. So there is a separate wire set connecting the sound card to the MPU? It might be helpful if you could add some pictures. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Shawn

#4 7 years ago

I apologize, it was late and night, and we're in for another 2 weeks of 90+ degree weather here. I was hoping it was finished so I can start working on games in my basement again.

I'll grab some pictures, and relay the info on where the wiring is connected.

I also should have said that the game never powered up. The MPU isn't even getting a flicker. When I broke the game down, I saw many hacks on the power supply, so I just disassembled it, brought it home, then began to look at the hacks. I've taken the power supply out of the game, and just going to replace it with the Pinhead. So I guess to answer your question, I have no idea of the sound ever worked. But I'm pretty sure with wires from the speaker to nowhere, it probably hasn't. lol

-Pat

#5 7 years ago

Can you take some pictures? I can take some of the wiring on mine, but i can't quite picture what you're describing to know what I should photograph

#6 7 years ago

I really appreciate all the offered help, but I figured out what was going on. It's embarrassing, but I can attribute it to a mild heat stroke I guess.

There is an extra connector that was attached to the wire loom that goes down to the rectifier board that I was missing. It's the colors of the wires from the J3 connector on the sound board, and it fits into the connector by the speaker.

As I was tracing the wires from the sound board connector, and started pulling out the wire loom from the bottom of the cabinet, bingo the mystery connector appeared.

Also, when looking at IPDB images from Dracula, and a couple other games from around that era, they also have the sound board connected to the top connector of the MPU. I thought my Galaxy was like that, but wasn't exactly sure. Thanks again, but problem solved!! (I hope)

-Pat

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-stern-hot-hand-speakerpot-missing-wiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.