(Topic ID: 48622)

Tech: NEW GAME FAIL ;( >>StarGate won't start up!

By Whysnow

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by viperrwk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P4262348.JPG
P4262348.JPG
P4262346.JPG
P4262345.JPG
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Well, this was supposed to be a "YEAH I got a new pin" thread. Unfortunately, all excitement was squashed upon trying to flip the game on for the first time.

I drove to Elgin, IL to meet another pinsider for pickup of this Stargate (it was on his way to pickup a game he is getting). I was not able to check it out prior to committing to buy and had to depend on photos. Hopefully this is just some sort of Gottlieb oddity that I am unfamiliar with since I really have mainly dealt with B/W.

Sorry in advance for the sideways video to start with, but at least you can see what the hell is going on.

Any ideas?

I already reseated all connectors multiple times in the backbox thinking that was the issue and something had just wiggled loose in the trip.

Please HELP!

#2 10 years ago

The annoying Gottlieb screech of death.

Could be loose IC's on board - reseat game ROM and check for tarnish on legs of IC.

I doubt power failure, start up process is locking up.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Good one!

#4 10 years ago

can you tell me off the top of your head where the game ROM is?

sorry (gottlieb noob and really a board noob also)

#5 10 years ago

Did you plug it in?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Did you plug it in?

smartass

#7 10 years ago

Mine used to do that too- I never figured out why, but leaving it off for like 15-30 min while plugged in would always clear it. Maybe it has something to do with a dying back-up battery.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Could be loose IC's on board - reseat game ROM and check for tarnish on legs of IC.
I doubt power failure, start up process is locking up.

OK reseated all ROMs on all boards. All look fine and all other chips do not seem to show signs of tarnish.

Flipped game back on and it fires up. Turned it back off, waited, and back on. Did this a few times and I am still getting 'death screech' every other or every 3rd time of turning on.

That seems to point that reseating ROMs helped, but still not fixed... How do I diagnose further to see what needs fixing? Is it going to hurt it if I play?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Is it going to hurt it if I play?

If it is in non screech mode, it won't hurt playing it.

#10 10 years ago

My Gladiators did the screech of death late one night, and no matter how many times we turned it on and off it wouldn't come back to life- until the next morning, and it hasn't happened since!

#11 10 years ago

On my Stargate, it cuts all power when you open the coin door. By all power, I mean everything, not just the high current. I assume this is the case with all Premier games, but Stargate is the only one I've ever owned.

#12 10 years ago

That also happens with this stargate Gweem.

#13 10 years ago

OK > Played one game. Now I am out on the town with my beautiful wife for the evening.

If anyone has ideas what I should troubleshoot to get it fixed for good, please let me know.

cheers and have a good evening fellers

#14 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure I know who you got this from, if the pinsider is from mid-Michigan. I know he wouldn't sell you a non-working or messed up game on purpose.

Never had a Gottlieb so I can't help you out there, but I'm guessing something simple came loose during transport/unloading, etc. Happens to me almost every time!

Good Luck!

#15 10 years ago

Maybe he'd like to trade Stargate for a Johnny Pneumatic.

#16 10 years ago

What is your 5 volt at on your CPU?... bottom right board....

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Now I am out on the town with my beautiful wife for the evening.

Put away the phone for good sex later

#18 10 years ago

I am a frigging gottlieb system 3 genius. I dont want to type it all out though. guessing you should just call. Its likely the 5volt hack/ mod that is needed here. Also dont ever ever ever ever removed the dmd cables or dmd power whilest teh game is on you will bork the u8 gal

Gettign started replace the 5v trim pot. I can go on and on but thats the best bet. If not slam the voltage quick and it will boot. I can tell you where you can install a cap on teh cpu board to hold the 5 volts longer to get the pos to boot.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I am a frigging gottlieb system 3 genius.

Now that is how to start a post! I like!

#20 10 years ago

I just got home and saw this post. All I can tell you is that it never did that to me even once. ???

Wish I could be more helpful. I would not keep pulling the ROM's though.... I don't think they handle that very well.

#21 10 years ago

Try reseating the ribbon cables - especially between the CPU and driver board (board to the left of the CPU.) Do them all with the machine off.

viperrwk

#22 10 years ago

That game had been rock solid for both myself and Astropin, and PEN before that. I'm sure something just jiggled loose on its journey, and just needs to be reseated.....

#23 10 years ago

If you access to PinballNinja, he covers this somewhat common issue on Gottlieb S3 in repair #755 - good descriptions and a video.

RussMyers

#24 10 years ago

thanks for all the tips everyone. I am swamped today (helping a friend move) but will do some research when I get some free time.

Quoted from tamoore:

I'm sure something just jiggled loose on its journey, and just needs to be reseated.....

I am hoping this is the case and when I figure it out then the game will be rock solid for me also.

Unfortunately the game has a few other issues I was not expecting that are going to need to be fixed. Most notably, the main ramp is completely blown out >> any idea where in the history that happened? I would like to know what happened so I can try to prevent it on the new ramp I will install. Just a random air ball?

#25 10 years ago

The main ramp? Which one is that? I only can remember one plastic one, and it's the one the ball goes up when you launch it into play. It was fine for me, and Adam only had it for a couple months.

'Blown out' means different things to different people, though. I don't think it was cracked at all, but it might have had some hairline crack in it that I never noticed. Post some pics and I'll see if it jogs my memory. I know that Adam took a ton of pics of this game for you, and I'm surprised this wouldn't have shown up in the pics.

I've heard tales of the welds on the metal ones giving out, but the ones on this machine were perfect.

Hope everything gets sorted out for you.

-Todd

#26 10 years ago

I can't even imagine what you mean by "blown out"? Can you send me a picture please.

#27 10 years ago

The whole right hand side is split wide open and the ball drop hole at the end is blown out.

Here are some quick pics.

P4262345.JPGP4262345.JPG P4262346.JPGP4262346.JPG P4262348.JPGP4262348.JPG

#28 10 years ago

I think James Spader did it, look at that guilty expression on his face.

#29 10 years ago

Damn that Spader! And what's he holding? A giant spoon?

#30 10 years ago

Fortunately Steve Young still has new ones - $52.

http://pbresource.com/Stargate.html#ramp

viperrwk

#31 10 years ago

Hey Whysnow,

I never noticed that damage to be honest... I just played the game.

I'd wait to see if it impacts game play before replacing it. Because, I doubt it does.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

A giant spoon?

Probably a rear end probe, wonder if he will let me use it for the camping trip?

#33 10 years ago

Hey Whysnow,
I never noticed that damage to be honest... I just played the game.
I'd wait to see if it impacts game play before replacing it. Because, I doubt it does.

Unfortunately it is not JUST about 'if' it impacts game play for me, but it does seem that the ball drop hole being broken does allow the ball to drop quicker than it should. Either way, I will be replacing it since that is a pretty essential part to the game.

Can someone that owns SG please take a photo similar to this one for me or just look at you game? It seems like some thing should be rivetted to the bottom of the bracket where the 2 holes are...

P4262348.JPGP4262348.JPG

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

That game had been rock solid for both myself and Astropin, and PEN before that.

tamoore> care to share the history(timing) and price of this SG since you are in the middle of this chain?

How much did you buy for and when?
sell for and when?

I have no issues offering up my purchase prices on my game and figure that given how this game is now on its 4th pinsider (at minimum) it is a good case study.

I paid $1950 >> Apr 2013.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can someone that owns SG please take a photo similar to this one for me or just look at you game? It seems like some thing should be rivetted to the bottom of the bracket where the 2 holes are...

Not at home now but I believe that mine looks the same -nothing on that brkt but will confirm when I get home. I might want to swap a few pics with you anyway I have a few empty holes on some plastics that I would like to address.

Congrats on the purchase hope everything is easy to sort out

#36 10 years ago

I bought it from PEN for 1800 last fall, and sold it to Adam for 1800 in late Feb. In the mean time, Adam bought a manual, replacement decals, and a nearly non existent ROM upgrade for it (Which I couldn't find while I owned it) before selling it to you. The ramp wasn't broken as you are showing it while I had it, and I have no reason to believe that Adam was trying to get one past you on this game by selling it to you broken. The only reason I sold it was because Adam told me he wanted it.

I played it about a month ago, and it played just the way it did when I owned it, and when I helped him get it into his basement in Feb.

I helped him carry this game from his basement to his SUV on Thursday before bringing it to you, and we babied that thing getting it in there.

#37 10 years ago

Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I bought it from PEN for 1800 last fall, and sold it to Adam for 1800 in late Feb. In the mean time, Adam bought a manual, replacement decals, and a nearly non existent ROM upgrade for it (Which I couldn't find while I owned it) before selling it to you.

The ramp wasn't broken as you are showing it while I had it, and I have no reason to believe that Adam was trying to get one past you on this game by selling it to you broken.

Nice proof of a game that has NOT increased in price (besides what Adam put into it) That is pretty cool. "Stargate the only game immune to pinflation" I have put a few games on it now and WOW, what fun. Good multiball training!

Also, Adam is a straight shooter. The failure to boot issue is surely just some crap wiggling loose >> crap happens when you move nearly 20 year old game. No worries.

The broken ramp was likely just an oversight. Many people do not examine a game the same way I try to. A bit bummed since it is a thing I had asked about, but I am 100% positive that Adam was NOT trying to get one past me. Shit happens. He just missed it when he was looking over the game to sell it to me.

#39 10 years ago

A replacement at 50 bucks is a pretty good deal. I'll tell you, the way I am with my pins, if I knew it was broken and a 50 dollar replacement was available, I would have bought it without a second thought. I'm pretty sure Adam is the same way as me.

Just thinking back, I had an issue with the DMD that came with the pin, and I replaced that with a better one before I sold it to Adam.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have put a few games on it now and WOW, what fun. Good multiball training!

Don't Gottlieb's feel solid, once up and running?

#41 10 years ago

I'll tell you something about Stargate:

I hadn't missed it a bit, until we loaded it into Astropin's SUV.

At the point I realized I'd not ever play it again, I started to miss it.

And yes, O-Din. It's more solid feeling than any B/W game, for sure.

#42 10 years ago

I almost sold Big Hurt, but I'm real glad I didn't. That ones a keeper. And now with a fresh flipper rebuild, it is even better.

#43 10 years ago

Stargate has not been immune to pinflation I bought mine exactly two years ago at an estate auction bidding had stalled at 700 and I thought it was going to be mine untill one of our local flippers jumped in and ran me up to 900 add 10% buyers premium and another 3% for using a credit card(I overbid my cash) and ended up aroun a grand.

#44 10 years ago

If that ramp was separated along that bottom edge when I had it I certainly never noticed it.

If I had you would have been fully informed. I never "over hype" the condition of my games....never.

I took close up photos of the playfield wear that was taking place where the ball drops just so you could see in detail the amount of wear that was there. In fact the pictures looked a lot worse than what it looks like in person.

I'm glad you got it working. It was always fun to trap and go for your target. Trying to make the pyramid shot from the left flipper is a nice challenge.

If you want me to shoot you some money to help replace that ramp I would be happy to do so.

Adam

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

If you want me to shoot you some money to help replace that ramp I would be happy to do so.
Adam

Well there's something most sellers never offer!

#47 10 years ago

I paid 2200 for SG less then a month ago. Pinflamation I guess. Then again it's in almost collector almost uber mint condition and has the latest rom. It won't stay inexpensive forever IMHO.

#48 10 years ago

Off topic sorry.Does the latest ROM make much difference.And if so where would I get one.

#49 10 years ago

Latest ROM is V5. Only difference between that and V4 is code to deal with warm boot issue. V5 can be had from Steve Young.

viperrwk

#50 10 years ago

Ill go get you a picture finishing my program first should post in about 30 minutes. 7:45 PM PST now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-stargate-wont-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.