JP_BR1_BR2_(resized).png
JP_backbox_(resized).png
IMG_5649_(resized).JPG
IMG_5651_(resized).JPG
dumbquestion_(resized).jpg
IMG_5617_(resized).JPG
IMG_5607_(resized).JPG
SW_fuse_failure_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RDReynolds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Just picked up a DE SW, it's always wanting to blow the lower back box fuse. Had a good friend suggest it was likely BR 1, but a test of that shows it appears to be ok. Any idea where to start checking?

Game plays just fine save for the fact that no inserts are lighting up.

#6 8 years ago

Using this method:

So I think BR1 is ok. I am guessing (because I've never delved this deep into the backbox before) that the capacitor is ok using the method someone suggested in the Star Wars Club thread. So guessing I must have a wiring short somewhere? Any idea where to look other than just going to the under play field and looking for anything odd? Not the best at this kinda thing, so I really appreciate the help!

#8 8 years ago

I will get those measurements tomorrow. It is BR1...on my machine it is not attached to the backbox. Perhaps it is mis-wired?

IMG_5607_(resized).JPGIMG_5607_(resized).JPG

#10 8 years ago

Got it. Will check that out in a bit. Really appreciate the help!

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Can you post the results of those measurements?
Where is the BR1 that you are measuring? On the Power supply?
Or the BR mounted below the power supply and just above the blue capacitor? If this, then try measuring the other BR next to it.

Getting around 485 to 515 on BR1. BR2 has similar readings.

I disconnected CN4, CN6, and CN7 and powered up. Fuse still blows. And BR1 gets hot very quickly. Thoughts?

#14 8 years ago

I think so, but will let you guys verify. Here's a shot of it, obviously it needs to be soldered (came to me with electrical tape covering the connections) and mounted, but it gets very hot right away so I think maybe I'll need to replace it anyway...stupid question (I know, I have a lot of them), what is the proper BR to purchase?

IMG_5617_(resized).JPGIMG_5617_(resized).JPG

#16 8 years ago

Thanks, got a couple on order. Will report back when I get the new one in.

In the meantime, anything else that could be the culprit?

#23 8 years ago

Should have the new BR this weekend. Will update once I get the new one in. Thx!

#25 8 years ago

Use the ohmmeter on auto range if you can. Keep one meter lead on one of blue wired (AC) connection and then test it against the purple (+) and the black (-) wired connections. What do you measure against the blue and the + and blue against the black - ?
Then move your meter lead to the other blue wired (AC) connection and do the same test against the purple (+) and the black (-) wired connections. What do you measure against the other blue and the + and blue against the black - ?

New bridge rectifier is in, fuse is still blowing. Best I can tell CN1 looks ok...not sure what I should look for out of the ordinary?

Readings are as follows:

Blue 1 -> Black = 526
Blue 2 -> Black = 497
Blue 1 -> Purple = 503
Blue 2 -> Purple =521

Again, really appreciate everyone's help here!

#27 8 years ago

Just so I am following along, you are saying off of the BIG blue cap in the back, correct?

dumbquestion_(resized).jpgdumbquestion_(resized).jpg

#29 8 years ago

Ok tried that, fuse still blew. I looked under the pf, didn't see anything really noticeably wrong. Any idea on next steps?

#31 8 years ago

8-Amp 250-Volt slow blow, yes.

#33 8 years ago

Thanks, appreciate the help. I disconnected CN6, CN7, and CN14 (didn't see 15 on either my SW or my R&B). Fuse still blows.

Cannot thank you guys enough for the assistance!

#35 8 years ago

Purple off of big blue cap, readings are as follows:

Fuse in:

Blue 1 -> Black = 471
Blue 2 -> Black = 471
Blue 1 -> Purple = 473
Blue 2 -> Purple =474

Fuse out:

Blue 1 -> Black = 518
Blue 2 -> Black = 488
Blue 1 -> Purple = 511
Blue 2 -> Purple =493

Have to leave for a bit, be interested in what you guys may suggest next. Thanks!

#40 8 years ago

If I remove CN4 from the power supply...the fuse...DOES NOT blow.

If I remove CN4 from the big board...the fuse...DOES NOT blow.

I think I must have pulled CN14 before when testing. Really sorry about that.

#42 8 years ago

CN6, CN7 removed, CN4 on. Fuse blows.

#45 8 years ago

Will do. May be time for it to pay a visit to my friend John Wart Jr.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

If I remove CN4 from the big board...the fuse...DOES NOT blow.
But you reinstalled CN4 on the power supply at the same time, correct.

Correct.

#48 8 years ago

CN6 appears to give numbers in the same range (480-520) as listed above. CN7 gives no valid reading - shows 1?

#50 8 years ago

I'm not getting any read from any of the disconnected wiring harnesses...perhaps I am doing something wrong here?

#52 8 years ago

Will do and report back after I get home from church.

Question, if I were to pull the MPU board out of my R&B and do a temporary swap just to see if that solved the issue, would I just need to replace the ROM at C? Or are there other chips I would need to swap?

#54 8 years ago

Ok, had a chance to get a few pics before I head out the door. CN4 on the MPU reads at 648, every pin...save for the fifth one from the top. That reads at 1. So maybe that's a clue?

IMG_5651_(resized).JPGIMG_5651_(resized).JPG

IMG_5649_(resized).JPGIMG_5649_(resized).JPG

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from krivoap:

While you are working on the MPU you might want to consider either remote mounting those batteries or installing some nvram

Always a safe bet.

#61 8 years ago

Ok back on this one. I gave up on troubleshooting my MPU board and got a Rottendog to replace it. Unfortunately now things have gone to annoying (no insert lights) to way worse. The fuse still blew and now no DMD display. I powered down, saw I had put in CN22 upside down like a numbskull. Powered down, fixed it, powered back up. Now I get lights for a s cond, the sound call "May the force be with you"...and nothing. Machine goes dark. It does not complete booting. I've checked and re-checked all wiring and it appears correct. I even switched back to the original MPU board and get the exact same result. Kinda at my wits end. Grrrrr.

I have a good, very knowledgeable friend coming over to help figure out what's going on over the weekend. Any idea where we should start? What would cause the machine to basically stop it's boot cycle?

#62 8 years ago

Fixed the issue with the machine not booting. Thinking it was the 6808 bad. Replaced that with the RD board, now machine boots fine. Still blows the fuse though. Hmmm...

#65 8 years ago

I want to be sure, your insert lamps are the only issue right now?

JP_backbox_(resized).pngJP_BR1_BR2_(resized).png

Correct, the insert lamps are the only issue now. Everything else is working great.

#67 8 years ago

SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Sonic and I kept going over and over and over this thing, finally found what appeared to be a short on the blue/white wire on CN4. There was what appeared to be a strange connector on it, but the same connector was on my R&B so we ruled that out. However, when we disconnected that little connector, all of a sudden not only did the fuse not blow, but every single insert light came on! Whaaaaaaa?

We powered down the machine and Sonic says, "You know, I read somewhere about a coin door mech being an issue for someone." We open it up and there was a little board attached to the inside of the coin door itself...but not attached to the rather strange looking coin mech (it was a reimport, designed to accept Francs). It was, however, attached to the inside of the coin door with metal bracket.

And what was attached to that little board? You guessed it - a blue and white cable. Did a continuity test and sure enough, it was to that cable that we had disconnected from the back.

Looking at that small board, someone had attached it with a rather giant wood screw to the bracket. Examining it more closely, the bottom of that board was hitting the metal bracket...and yes...shorting out the blue and white wire.

I guess you could say we were screwed!

But in the end, we solved it. Well, more Sonic solved it. Machine now works 100%, save for four flashers on the left side of the play field - orange with black/gray wiring...anyone know if there is a connector that maybe got disconnected? Would be awesome if I could get someone to take a look at theirs. It's the flashers in the pop bumper area.

I cannot thank everyone enough for their help answering my rudimentary questions. I learned a LOT from this experience, and I thank you all for your assistance. In the end, it's almost comical that all the things we tried, replacing rectifiers, boards, ROMs, etc...and it wound up being a WOOD SCREW.

WOW!

IMG_5680_(resized).JPGIMG_5680_(resized).JPG

IMG_5678_(resized).JPGIMG_5678_(resized).JPG

IMG_5679_(resized).JPGIMG_5679_(resized).JPG

IMG_5677_(resized).JPGIMG_5677_(resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RDReynolds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-star-wars-de-always-blowing-backbox-fuse?tu=RDReynolds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.