Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Richthofen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I changed the coil sleeve on the lower left flipper on Super Mario Bros. Now when I flip it machine guns, rapidly flipping several times. I'm tweaking the switches in hopes that this is the problem but have not succeeded as of yet. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

#2 7 years ago

The coil lugs - be sure no crappy solder joints or broken wires - especially the tiny ones coming off the coil to the lugs you really have to dig around them to find a break.

LTG

#3 7 years ago

The lugs look a little sloppy. Man, I wish I brought my soldering iron home today. I'll have to go out an grab it later tonight. Thanks

#4 7 years ago

space the switches out a little more...usually the rubber smacks back into it after the first activation, causing the machine gunning

#5 7 years ago

If you replaced the coils with new ones, some are made with the diodes in a different order. You could have some wires crossed and the coil will still fire, but will overheat due to incorrect current. Triple check that it is wired correctly. Also, check to insure the tiny coil wire from the coil to the diode is not broken. My TAF thing flipper wire had broken and would do this, but only for a moment. Then it disengaged. If yours continuously fires rapidly without disengaging, then you probably wired it wrong.

#6 7 years ago

In my opinion its a bad coil, or broken wire on the coil.

#7 7 years ago

I had this happen on a smb and it was a bad diode on the coil.

#8 7 years ago

It's usually because the hold voltage has gone - multiple causes including coil fault, fuses, etc. My Stargate had the same thing when I got it - broken wire at the coil.

1 week later
#9 7 years ago

I changed the coil and I guess that did the trick but now something else it wrong.

The game starts but the ball doesn't eject and none of the flippers operate, basically no solenoids at all. I would have thought it was a fuse but when I go into test mode all the solenoids work (and the flipper works properly). Any ideas as to this one? Thanks

#10 7 years ago

Check to make sure the ball trough switch is down and balls are loaded, and that you only have 3 balls loaded. I had this problem when the ball trough switch was bent wrong after my rebuild.

#11 7 years ago

Yeah - this is how Gottliebs behave when a ball is 'missing' - physically or logically.

#12 7 years ago

The two switches in the trough click when i press them but no results. I'm not sure how to clean microswitches or even how to test them for that matter.

#13 7 years ago

Pull the balls out and put the pin in test mode. Go to the switch test and you should see alternating numbers. those numbers represent closed switches. Some switches are default closed so you'll always see them (the drop target between the flippers is default closed). Press on the trough switch and see if it adds to the list of numbers cycling on the display. If not, switch is bad or not connected electrically.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 249.00
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 132.00
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 999.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside