(Topic ID: 78857)

tech: Slow Blow vs. MDL fuses

By mof

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

One thing I have not seen in this thread is the NB or Normal Blow fuse.
    Every WPC pin around "F114" calls for a 8A 32V NB fuse.
    These fuses have a thin flat wire in them from the factory. I have yet to find one of these either at Radio Shack or an automotive store.

That would be a standard Busmann AGC-8 or Littelfuse 312008.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

The 312008 is obsolete and NLA and was just a FB fuse without the flat blade inside.
    The Busmann AGC-8 looks to be just a standard FB fuse you can get anywhere.
    I'm just wondering why every machine I have seen, comes with those flat blade fuses in that slot and not anywhere else on the board.
    On the Williams Fuse chart is calls for all FB and SB fuses except for one spot. It always has a specific 8A 32V NB fuse called for in that spot.
    I'm sure that just putting a regular fuse in that spot is fine, just wondering why it is specifically different.

312008's are still made -- I buy boxes of 312 series fuses pretty much every month. Need complete part number to get to current ones such as 312008.HXP for fast glass, 8 amp, RoHS compliant (XP suffix), box of 100 (H in suffix). Or 312008.MXP for box of 1000. But when sold as individuals, the "H" and "M" are dropped. Also, for reason only Littelfuse knows, they also added a zero ahead of the part number so that it would be 0312008 but most people ignore the preceeding zero.

Not sure what you mean by blade fuse. All I can think of is automotive blade fuse - ugly plastic buggers. 312008's and MDL-8's are 100% identical other than different manufacturer.

FB and NB are used synonymously in this line of work. As far as we're concerned - FB = NB.

The high current fuses normally have a lower voltage rating. Few years ago, used to be 10 amps and above were rated 32V.... now I think 12A and above are rated at only 32V and everything less is 250V (MDL and 312s). Although it predates me, I wouldn't doubt it if the 8 amp fuses were only rated up to 8 amps in the not too distant past. Always ok to go higher in voltage rating.

2 years later
    #22 7 years ago

F8A250
    F = Fast
    8A = 8 Amp
    250 = 250V

I don't know what the "L" stands for. Are there any manufacturer symbols on it?

6 months later
    #27 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

312008's are still made -- I buy boxes of 312 series fuses pretty much every month. Need complete part number to get to current ones such as 312008.HXP for fast glass, 8 amp, RoHS compliant (XP suffix), box of 100 (H in suffix). Or 312008.MXP for box of 1000. But when sold as individuals, the "H" and "M" are dropped. Also, for reason only Littelfuse knows, they also added a zero ahead of the part number so that it would be 0312008 but most people ignore the preceeding zero.
    Not sure what you mean by blade fuse. All I can think of is automotive blade fuse - ugly plastic buggers. 312008's and MDL-8's are 100% identical other than different manufacturer.
    FB and NB are used synonymously in this line of work. As far as we're concerned - FB = NB.
    The high current fuses normally have a lower voltage rating. Few years ago, used to be 10 amps and above were rated 32V.... now I think 12A and above are rated at only 32V and everything less is 250V (MDL and 312s). Although it predates me, I wouldn't doubt it if the 8 amp fuses were only rated up to 8 amps in the not too distant past. Always ok to go higher in voltage rating.

... and nobody caught my blatant typos in this one.
    "313008" is the slow blow version which is alternate to Bussmann MDL fuses.
    "312008" is the fast (normal blow) version which is alternate to Bussmann AGC fuses.

3 years later
    #30 3 years ago

The 311 series was an old Littelfuse 3AG sized (1-1/4" long x 1/4" dia) glass fuse. This was the low cost version of the 312 (standard fast) series but the 311s were only good up to 32V.

To confuse things, Littelfuse discontinued the old 311 series and created a new 311 series as linked to by LTG. The only similarity between the two is they are both fuses.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-p-e.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-slow-blow-vs-mdl-fuses?tu=g-p-e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.