(Topic ID: 200118)

Tech shorted an AC circuit on TAF; what all may have been hurt?

By Vicenza

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Vicenza
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a TAF machine I purchased back in June, and shortly after I got it it started restarting itself. The machine came with a warranty, and so the business I purchased it from has been sending techs to my house try to remedy the problem. Today a tech was attempting to replace the wiring connector that hooks to header J101 on the Power Driver Board, and he made a mistake that shorted the two sides of the AC circuit feeding bridge rectifier BR1 (which creates the +18VDC supply). There was smoke, and fuse F104 popped.

The tech fixed the initial mistake but fuse F104 still blows, and now the machine's main fuse does as well. It turns out the two AC wires feeding bridge rectifier BR1 have melted insulation and shorts at multiple points along the run from the transformer to the Power Driver Board, so at the very least those wiring runs have to be completely replaced. My worry is what else may have been damaged as the fuse that's blowing on the PDB (F104) isn't part of the +18VDC circuit but rather one of 5 fuses associated with the 50VDC supply (F104's circuit is marked "LO POWER PULSE" on the schematics.)

What all should be checked when something like this happens? I assume there's some chance the transformer's been damaged. What else? The business I bought it from is going to continue to try to fix it, under warranty, but I want to be certain it's fixed right this time as the machine's mostly been down for one reason or another in the four months I've owned it.

#2 6 years ago

Yikes!
Your biggest concern is the transformer.
The wire harness can be replaced.
Damage to the power/driver board can be fixed by a competent tech.
The company you bought it from needs a more experienced tech. Reset issues need to be attacked systematically. See: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Good luck.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Vicenza:

I have a TAF machine I purchased back in June, and shortly after I got it it started restarting itself. The machine came with a warranty, and so the business I purchased it from has been sending techs to my house try to remedy the problem. Today a tech was attempting to replace the wiring connector that hooks to header J101 on the Power Driver Board, and he made a mistake that shorted the two sides of the AC circuit feeding bridge rectifier BR1 (which creates the +18VDC supply). There was smoke, and fuse F104 popped.
The tech fixed the initial mistake but fuse F104 still blows, and now the machine's main fuse does as well. It turns out the two AC wires feeding bridge rectifier BR1 have melted insulation and shorts at multiple points along the run from the transformer to the Power Driver Board, so at the very least those wiring runs have to be completely replaced. My worry is what else may have been damaged as the fuse that's blowing on the PDB (F104) isn't part of the +18VDC circuit but rather one of 5 fuses associated with the 50VDC supply (F104's circuit is marked "LO POWER PULSE" on the schematics.)
What all should be checked when something like this happens? I assume there's some chance the transformer's been damaged. What else? The business I bought it from is going to continue to try to fix it, under warranty, but I want to be certain it's fixed right this time as the machine's mostly been down for one reason or another in the four months I've owned it.

Maybe it's time to ask for a refund or replacement game? If they couldn't fix the reset in a timely manner, how are they going to fix the damage they have done now? I suppose in the very least they need to take the game back to the shop and get it fixed right before returning it.

Rob

#4 6 years ago

That's a heck of a short to toast wires back to the transformer. I'd definitely say that they should take it back and go through it. If they gave you a warranty, avail yourself of it and don't put any time and effort into trying to fix it yourself.

Then again if they pooched the game that badly when trying to figure out a reset issue I would be a little skeptical on their repair abilities....

#5 6 years ago

They're packing up the machine to take it back to their shop as I type, to attempt to fix the problems there rather than in my basement. I've told them that, when they think they've got it all fixed, I'm going to go to their shop and verify I'm satisfied with the work (including playing it quite a bit to ensure the reset problem really is gone) before they bring it back. I've let them know I expect it to be fixed both properly and quickly this time, and if not I will be pressing them for a refund. In four months of ownership I've only been able to get a few dozen games played on the machine, and a fair number of those were compromised by a problem with "Thing Flips".

#6 6 years ago

That’s too bad. It’s a great game and I hope you get it fixed properly soon so you can enjoy it.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Vicenza:

They're packing up the machine to take it back to their shop as I type, to attempt to fix the problems there rather than in my basement. I've told them that, when they think they've got it all fixed, I'm going to go to their shop and verify I'm satisfied with the work (including playing it quite a bit to ensure the reset problem really is gone) before they bring it back. I've let them know I expect it to be fixed both properly and quickly this time, and if not I will be pressing them for a refund. In four months of ownership I've only been able to get a few dozen games played on the machine, and a fair number of those were compromised by a problem with "Thing Flips".

I don't know that I would say 'quickly'. Correctly is more important IMO.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

I don't know that I would say 'quickly'. Correctly is more important IMO.

After four months of the game being non-functional far more often than not, 'quickly' has become important. It's good that they're honoring the warranty, but I really don't want this to continue to drag out. They either need to fix the machine, or agree it's beyond their ability to make reliable and give me a refund.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,159.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-shorted-an-ac-circuit-on-taf-what-all-may-have-been-hurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.