Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Bazfish
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

Hello and i hope everybody is doing ok in these troubling times.

With time now on my hands i have started work on my many games room related issues.. the first is my Scared Stiff. In brief.. with everything plugged in i get the AV board single tone and then no boot. LED501 is constantly flashing. If i remove EITHER of the CPU ribbon cables the game boots and plays but with no sound or DMD. All fuses have been checked, all voltages appear present and boards all inspected for damage / blown components as well as misplaced connectors etc. This was a fully working game but a few years dry storage have apparently not been kind

Im stumped so before i delve deeper can any of you fine people guide me down the correct path!

Help! I miss the mistresses dulcet tones!

Many thanks in advance.

Baz

#2 3 months ago

Hello, so if you remove CPU ribbon game boots? Is that CPU ribbon in good shape?That could be the issue.Cable Ribbons last a long time but not forever.

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Hello, so if you remove CPU ribbon game boots? Is that CPU ribbon in good shape?That could be the issue.Cable Ribbons last a long time but not forever.

Hi there and thanks for the reply. Both the cables look in good shape but the interesting thing is that it does not matter which cable is removed either from the CPU board connector or the AV board.. both in and the game does not boot but with EITHER J601 OR J602 removed the game will boot but plays with no sound or DMD. J603 to the DMD has no effect either way.

My head says its a power drain when the connectors are all in but there is no sign of that... and why is it either of the cables.. if one was at fault i could understand.

Strange

#4 3 months ago

Yes that is strange! Do you another board you can put in and see if it will work?Did you check behind the CPU board for any signs of burnt traces?

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Yes that is strange! Do you another board you can put in and see if it will work?Did you check behind the CPU board for any signs of burnt traces?

Indeed it is sir. Both boards checked with no apparent damage.. very strange. Looks like i will have to start looking deeper! Unfortunatly i do not have another WPC 95 set about. Everything else but none of it "new" stuff

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from Bazfish:

Indeed it is sir. Both boards checked with no apparent damage.. very strange. Looks like i will have to start looking deeper! Unfortunatly i do not have another WPC 95 set about. Everything else but none of it "new" stuff

Could it be the DMD itself that’s causing this problem??

#7 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Could it be the DMD itself that’s causing this problem??

Disconnected still does the same. All voltages are getting to it as per the manual but there is no display at all.

#8 3 months ago

Ok how about the DMD controller board in the backbox?is it original or a newer type of board replacement?
Or here’s another idea try reseating the game rom..Do this very gently so you don’t bend or miss a row of pins and while your at it Reseat the sound roms also.Lets see if that might get it

#9 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Ok how about the DMD controller board in the backbox?is it original or a newer type of board replacement?
Or here’s another idea try reseating the game rom..Do this very gently so you don’t bend or miss a row of pins and while your at it Reseat the sound roms also.Lets see if that might get it

Already done.. all apart from the ASIC as modern chips with that many traces scare the proverbial out of me! Looks like i am going to have to get over my fear though as i have found a very interesting repair log which sounds exactly like my problem.. targeting the ASIC as the cause! Stay tuned, will give it a go later as i am supposed to be working finishing up the accounts for my now closed business! Grrrrrr

#10 3 months ago
Quoted from Bazfish:

Already done.. all apart from the ASIC as modern chips with that many traces scare the proverbial out of me! Looks like i am going to have to get over my fear though as i have found a very interesting repair log which sounds exactly like my problem.. targeting the ASIC as the cause! Stay tuned, will give it a go later as i am supposed to be working finishing up the accounts for my now closed business! Grrrrrr

I’m sorry to hear about your business this whole virus has affected all of us.Let me how it goes with that ASIC and good luck and stay safe my friend.

#11 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmike:

I’m sorry to hear about your business this whole virus has affected all of us.Let me how it goes with that ASIC and good luck and stay safe my friend.

Business is not important at this time, people are.. still a pain in the proverbial but we will prevail! Lol.
Took an hour off for lunch and tried reseating, no luck unfortunately. Link below to the group post i found which explains my problem to the letter, just not the same end result unfortunately. Onward!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/nbafb$20viperrwk%7Csort:relevance/rec.games.pinball/pqMZG9dVUag/QdmFMa0OBgAJ

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside