11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbmi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I am having an issue with the Stroke of Luck popper on my RFM. At random times during the game, the popper will fire 5 to 8 times in a row (after awarding whatever is lit at the scoop). I cleaned the optos on the popper (as well as reflowed the solder), but still had the issue.

What I did find, is if there is a ball in the ball trough blocking the #2 trough position (opto switch #43) and you hit switch #33 (Center Target 4), it triggers both #33 and the popper opto switch in the switch test. If there is no ball blocking the #2 trough position, it doesn't trigger them both. The weird thing is switch #36 (Center Target 1) sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work in either case.

I did replace about 5 flakey or non-working rollover switches recently - that were not any of the above switches (and put new diodes on them). I have double and triple checked the switches I replaced and the diode bands are in the correct orientation and the wires are all properly attached. I'm wondering if I should start disconnecting the switches I replaced one by one and see if the problem goes away. The problem is I don't know if any of the new switches are part of the issue. The playfield is new to me so I don't know if the problem existed or not before I installed the switches.

I am hoping some of the tech gurus out there can give me some guidance on what I should check next. Thanks in advance.

#3 11 years ago

I unhooked the switches one at a time and still had the issue after each one. Actually after unhooking the last one, things really go weird. The popper starting popping before the start of a game and after a game ended, but the switch did not register at all during a game.

Also, when I go into the switch test with the 5 new switches unhooked, certain switches register mulitples. For example, three of the center targets also register 3 of the trough switches. For example, center target 3 also registers as trough ball 3.

Any other thoughts?

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

This one - a switch matrix issue can be elsewhere too, switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, or a short to switch wiring.
LTG : )

Yeah, that's what I thought - a needle in haystack. This is the last time I buy something sight unseen, that's for sure.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks Lloyd. Yeah, I just need to take a day or two off and come back to it fresh

I actually purchased an RFM "kit" (pf, prism/daughter, Roms, etc.). So the cabinet hasn't moved, but the pf has - especially with replacing switches. It has been up & down and in & out of the cabinet, so there is a good chance that something may have been jostled.

Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 85.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbmi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-rfm-switch-issueshort?tu=tbmi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.