• Latest reply 11 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tweezers.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I have removed a couple ROMs in the past from video games and I am sure its the same. However, I just picked up a white water and got the LH6 ROM. I am trying to pull the old one with my fingers and can't get it. Is it ok to gently use a small flat head and help lift it off?

#2 11 years ago

Yes that is what I have done, little bit at a time alternating sides, should pop out pretty easily. Just be careful and take your time.

#3 11 years ago

http://pinballroms.com/documents/installing_eproms_wpc95.html

Pinballroms.com gives good tips on installing roms.

#4 11 years ago

What you need to do in the future is find a set of IC chip tweezers like this:

tweezers.jpgtweezers.jpg

All of $2.00 here: http://store.curiousinventor.com/ic-chip-remover-extractor.html

WELL WORTH your money.

#5 11 years ago

Good post, ive always wondered the same, never had to remove a rom, but im glad there is resources for if i have to.

#6 11 years ago

I am about as impatient as they come.... I pulled the old LH4 ROm and bent a leg. I GENTLY got it back and its good. The new LH6 ROM is in. This ROM is so kick ass

#7 11 years ago

Congrats!

Butter knife FTW! Actually, I think I usually use a flathead... If you go slow enough nothing bad should happen.

I get more nervous putting the new ROM in.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Congrats!

I get more nervous putting the new ROM in.

Total opposite over here. Putting it in was way smooth. Pulling it out I just felt like I was going to destroy something bad

#9 11 years ago

Yeah use a small flat head screw driver and pry both ends up. Make sure that when pulling it out be as straight as you can so that you don't bend the pins. To be honest I dont like the LH-6 rom. It's kind of buggy and I don't think that the ball save is worth the sacrifice.

#10 11 years ago

P.S. Radio Shack sells a puller for like 10 bucks

*EDIT*
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103244#

#11 11 years ago

Screwdriver, little on one side little on the other. I have done it this way for decades. The cute little pullers are crap.

Dave "Taxman" http://www.pinbald.com

#12 11 years ago

They have them at Harbor Freight too. $3, and that's part of a kit.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Yeah use a small flat head screw driver and pry both ends up. Make sure that when pulling it out be as straight as you can so that you don't bend the pins. To be honest I dont like the LH-6 rom. It's kind of buggy and I don't think that the ball save is worth the sacrifice.

I haven't played enough with the LH6 ROM to find any bugs yet. What are the big ones?

#14 11 years ago

I love White Water, and it wouldn't be the same to me without the home ROM. I ran LH5 before it was publicly available, and was grateful when LH6 came out, as it fixed the reset bug in LH5.

The coin op ROM wasn't bad, but the lack of ball save kinda sucked when you're a mediocre player (at best!) like me!

#15 11 years ago

I just put the LH6 in my WH2O today too. Replaced an L-3. Not a WH2O expert(new pin for me) but after a few games I didn't notice any bugs. I just used a small flathead on the right side to lift up the old ROM and pulled it out. The backbox light board makes the left side a little tough to access. The pins on one end were slightly bent so I could have done a better job. The new ROM installed super smooth, not like a FT ROM where I had to put a little squeeze on the pins to get them to align.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I love White Water, and it wouldn't be the same to me without the home ROM. I ran LH5 before it was publicly available, and was grateful when LH6 came out, as it fixed the reset bug in LH5.
The coin op ROM wasn't bad, but the lack of ball save kinda sucked when you're a mediocre player (at best!) like me!

On my Wh2O the ball flies down the center drain if I decide to plunge it too hard so the ball save (within the alloted time) is helpful over time for sure.

This is an AWESOME pin btw to LED. I put in blue LEDs for river lock and all the river letters and under the whirpool, super bad ass!

#17 11 years ago

I eventually look at LEDs in my games so looking forward to going there in the WH20. 75% of my too-hard plunges go SDTM. It's a problem when smaller kids play it because they cannot soft plunge to the upper playfield. But I think its a free plunge regardless if the ball save is on or not and I think it was that way on the L-3 version too.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from TavaLee:

I eventually look at LEDs in my games so looking forward to going there in the WH20. 75% of my too-hard plunges go SDTM. It's a problem when smaller kids play it because they cannot soft plunge to the upper playfield. But I think its a free plunge regardless if the ball save is on or not and I think it was that way on the L-3 version too.

At the local arcade they have a WH2O and Im pretty sure it came with the LH5, or maybe4? I forgot 100%, but obviously not 6 since its free play. Anyways, it doesn't ball save at all no matter what. I got the 6 ROM from him actually since thats how the game came and he put in the LH5 or whatever he got so pretty sure its set to factory.

#19 11 years ago

I have been playing the home rom on my wh20 for a few years and haven't noticed any bugs. ??

#20 11 years ago

I usually use a small screwdriver and needle-nose players.

Pry the chip out slowly, use needle-nose player to straighten the pins I just jacked up all to hell

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-removing-a-rom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.