7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Crrispy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 months ago

Hi,

I want to trigger a mod with a coil on my Ghostbusters. I've added a small 48V relay soldered to the coil (captive balls release on the left), and the relay contact triggers the mod.
    Problem is that it works perfectly fine in coils test mode, but not in game, and I can't understand this. Is the voltage used ingame lower than in test mode? That does not make sense. Really strange.

#2 7 months ago
    Quoted from Crrispy:

Hi,
    I want to trigger a mod with a coil on my Ghostbusters. I've added a small 48V relay soldered to the coil (captive balls release on the left), and the relay contact triggers the mod.
    Problem is that it works perfectly fine in coils test mode, but not in game, and I can't understand this. Is the voltage used ingame lower than in test mode? That does not make sense. Really strange.

Yes voltage is lower during a game,Voltage is higher in test mode

#3 7 months ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Yes voltage is lower during a game,Voltage is higher in test mode

Thanks. I have to measure this, seems a bit strange. Could explain why the 48V relay is not activated during game, but...

#4 7 months ago
    Quoted from Crrispy:

Thanks. I have to measure this, seems a bit strange. Could explain why the 48V relay is not activated during game, but...

Spike uses a variable power supply system. I would be careful about hooking anything additional up to the high voltage circuits.

#5 7 months ago

When a game is in test mode the high voltage would be higher because the high volt signals are activated one at a time.During a game all the high volts are being used at the same time

#6 7 months ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Spike uses a variable power supply system. I would be careful about hooking anything additional up to the high voltage circuits.

Yes that is right

#7 7 months ago

Wondering how you are triggering the relay. positive to 86 or negative to 85?

#8 7 months ago

The voltage shouldn't matter. Arent you providing separate voltage to the relay and then getting ground from the coil?

#9 7 months ago

I've just put the relay coil in parallel of the playfield coil. These are those small blue relays, the power they eat is very very low.

#10 7 months ago

The small relay current is a few tens of milliamps, negligible compared to coil current so it is very unlikely it could mess up the circuit.

Maybe you should use a 24V relay, with a suitable series resistor to get reliable operation during game. Measure the 24V relay coil resistance, try series resistor of half the measured value.

#11 7 months ago

I've ordered 12V relays because I also want to test the coin meter/knocker output @ Node1/CN3, have no 24V in stock.
    Could also work on a coil with a good calculation of the resistance.
    To be continued.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    $ 109.99
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 13.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RobTune
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 200.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside