(Topic ID: 292547)

Tech Ques - Why CPU Controlled Bumpers ?

By TomKatt

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi - long time lurker, new poster...

I've always wondered why the early SS games used CPU controlled bumpers... While I've never really noticed it on my Centaur, I've heard that some designers struggled with the CPU resources available in the early designs and that scanning and code latency between switch closure and solenoid signaling was an issue. Even if that was not a major problem, wouldn't it have been simpler to continue to use conventional relay controlled bumper solenoids and just have the CPU sense the ball hit for scoring?

I understand where saucers, gates and other features make perfect sense to have the CPU control, but bumpers seem like it would be easier (and perhaps faster) with conventional relay designs.

I'm guessing that maybe power transistors were cheaper than relays?

Just wondering...

#2 2 years ago

The problem with direct control, such as switches (or relays) is that a fault in the driving circuit such as a stuck switch or relay will hold the coil on resulting in either a burning coil in EM games or fry the driving transistor in solid state games. CPU control avoids the problem, providing only a predetermined pulse time to the coil. Advancements allowed custom tailored variables to be added as operator adjustments (settings such as "coil pulse power" changes the pulse rate to the coil to adjust for varying line voltage conditions)

#3 2 years ago

Having the bumpers be cpu controlled wasn't really a drain on the cpu resources. The switches need to be scanned either way, so just adding in a "oh, turn this coil on" to some of them isn't a lot more.

A lot of cpu issues came from ram/rom limitations more than processing speed limitations.

#4 2 years ago

The early CPU controlled bumpers (bally/stern) use a faster scan for the switches that fire the coils.

Gottlieb and Williams stuck to a direct activated type setup, Gottlieb directly with a high power switch, and williams through logic chips.

#5 2 years ago

In addition to other reasons mentioned above, I think the decision might have been influenced by manufacturing and maintenance costs as well. In the early Bally -17 design, they were going to have controlled coils for chimes/outhole/knocker, and they dedicated 4 bits to control 15 solenoid channels. The room was there for adding more controlled solenoids.

By making the pops and slings operate the same way, they only needed one set of contacts (Gottlieb uses one set of solenoid contacts and one set for scoring), and they also simplified the playfield to one type of contact (low-voltage only), which last longer and require less cleaning.

Solenoid voltage is also a little better isolated from logic voltage. A tech adjusting pop bumper relays is less likely to fry a control board.
    Compared to Gottlieb, it really seemed like Bally was trying to minimize high-voltage relays and contacts. There's no Tilt relay, GI relay, and the only high voltage contacts are the flipper buttons / contacts.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from DickHamill:

By making the pops and slings operate the same way, they only needed one set of contacts (Gottlieb uses one set of solenoid contacts and one set for scoring), and they also simplified the playfield to one type of contact (low-voltage only), which last longer and require less cleaning.

Complete lost on most techs of the time, who happily filed the gold plating off at each shop job.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomKatt:

Hi - long time lurker, new poster...
    I've always wondered why the early SS games used CPU controlled bumpers... While I've never really noticed it on my Centaur, I've heard that some designers struggled with the CPU resources available in the early designs and that scanning and code latency between switch closure and solenoid signaling was an issue. Even if that was not a major problem, wouldn't it have been simpler to continue to use conventional relay controlled bumper solenoids and just have the CPU sense the ball hit for scoring?

On early Data East pins the CPU had no direct control over the pops and slings and this was changed on the version 3 board. Phantom of the Opera was the last title to use the V2 board. What is curious is the drivers for the pops and slings are actually on the MPU in all versions so it is something they could have done from day one.

V1 and V2 pins can use the V3 board with no changes.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from DickHamill:

In addition to other reasons mentioned above, I think the decision might have been influenced by manufacturing and maintenance costs as well...

That's a good point - I didn't consider all the ancillary related parts that could be simplified by standardizing on one method of control.

As I say, I've never really experienced any delay on my Centaur compared to my Gottlieb EM - they are pretty quick. And obviously cpu power and speed has come a long way since, so all the other advantages pointed out in comments here make perfect sense.

Thanks for all of the information!

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

On early Data East pins the CPU had no direct control over the pops and slings and this was changed on the version 3 board. Phantom of the Opera was the last title to use the V2 board. What is curious is the drivers for the pops and slings are actually on the MPU in all versions so it is something they could have done from day one.

I wonder if they had performance issues due to cpu speed or code programming efficiency? I cannot locate references for where I've seen this reported, but as I say I believe some manufacturers had trouble keeping up with very fast action.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomKatt:

I wonder if they had performance issues due to cpu speed or code programming efficiency?

There is no other differences between the V2 and V3 boards and the code was literally at the whim of the individual programmer till the early 90's when they standardized a bit.

CPU speeds remained unchanged.

If I had to guess it was for safety reasons (cpu could see coil actuation) and control the power (adjustable on several titles)

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

There is no other differences between the V2 and V3 boards and the code was literally at the whim of the individual programmer till the early 90's when they standardized a bit.
    CPU speeds remained unchanged.
    If I had to guess it was for safety reasons (cpu could see coil actuation) and control the power (adjustable on several titles)

Yeah, all that changed with DE was that they stopped hooking the switches directly to the transistors (danger of locking on), and instead scanned the pops via the switch matrix to fire them

#12 2 years ago

Controlling bumpers and slings directly with transistors was an important feature of the early SS games. By using software to control the pulse to the bumper we were able to better control the strength and quality of the bumper's 'bump'.
    By the mid 1970s Bally was already using DC rectifiers in EM games to make bumpers bump better by running them off of DC. Seemed like a no brainer to use the micro computer to control them. When Bow and Arrow prototype came out we had transistors controlling all coils including the flippers. We put SS games side by side in arcades with their EM counterparts to determine which was better. Not only did the SS game make more money players preferred the action of the bumpers to the EM games. We also found out having the flippers direct controlled with transistors was not effective and caused the drive transistors to burn out often. That's why production Bally games went with an enable relay.
    The downside was coils locking up and frying transistors. The 1A playfield fuse was an attempt to contain that issue. The core problem at the time was CPU crash. The brown Palmer sockets Midway used to build the MPUs was the main issue.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomKatt:

I believe some manufacturers had trouble keeping up with very fast action.

I've seen this kind of action slow on older games, but the cause is usually that the switch contacts were dirty, or well worn and needed to be replaced.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-ques-why-cpu-controlled-bumpers- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.