10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Hougie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cpsystem3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hey everyone-

I've officially embarked on a pretty cool new pinball adventure, a project I'm calling Pinball '89! I currently own a Whirlwind that is about to go under restoration. As I was piecing together the remaining parts to start the rebuild, I found a complete Earthshaker playfield on eBay for a reasonable price. I've been after an Earthshaker for some time now, yet they always seem to elude me in my area. I am relocating to Boston area in the near future, so space will likely be limited (compared to my current 750sqf basement). After thinking about it for a little while, I decided to pull the trigger on the ES playfield (since its complete and in nice condition).

My plan - use the ES playfield to swap in and out of my Whirlwind cabinet as a conversion kit (when I feel like changing it up). My research indicates the main PCB's are 100% identical, system 11b with the same interconnect PCB. If my hunch is correct I will simply need to do a rom-swap and drop the new playfield in to enjoy a different game. I have secured a speaker panel plastic to swap out as well (I plan on keeping the whirlwind translite when I swap games, unless I can find a cheap ES backglass).

Of course this project is all in theory lol. If it works however, I should be left with a "Pinball 2000" style setup (RFM and SWeP1). My plan is to install WPC-95 style "bars" that run the length of the playfield on the underside of the for easy storage.

The playfield JUST arrived today. More to come as I attempt the swap!

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the pointers guys. Looks like I'll really need to analyze the interconnect board schematics and make the neccessary changes.... or just buy an Earthshaker interconnect board. Depending how drastic the changes are, I might come up with a "quick switch" solution (interchangable daughter board or something).

Also, thanks for the heads up on the double flipper switch! I overlooked that piece.

As for the overlay sound board, I was planning on just disconnecting it while running Earthshaker.

#5 10 years ago

Alright- decision made.

I grabbed a mousin around interconnect board from Marco. It appears I need to change out 8 resistors/jumpers, the rest is identical. Unfortunately the Earthshaker interconnect is sold out everywhere, so I need to make-do with whats available (the PCB looks identical, just slightly different parts).

Also, the aux power supply boards are slightly different, but only in fuse location. Fuses F1 and F3 are swapped between whirlwind and earthshaker.

So its looking like to swap games I need to:
*Add a double flipper switch to the left flipper
*Swap in newly modified Interconnect board
*Swap F1 and F3 on the aux driver board
*Swap out roms on CPU and Sound board
*Disconnect sound overlay board

Sounds like a walk in the park to me! Don't think I'm missing anything, however I'm going to fine-tooth-comb the power supply assembly drawing/ parts list before I jump in feet first.

Let me know if you guys realize anything I may have missed! And thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cpsystem3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-project-pinball-89-whirlwind-earthshaker-combo?tu=cpsystem3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.