(Topic ID: 61155)

TECH: Problem with MM drawbridge switches (solved!)

By Buckman

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by oscarspa
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

la foto.JPG
IMG_2018.JPG
IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2015.JPG
IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_1999.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I just finished my MM playfield swap and after doing some testing with everything back together I'm having an issue with the drawbridge switches (#56 and 57). See the picture showing what I get when I do the drawbridge test. When I go into the individual switch test and trigger them they appear to be working fine.

The only other thing that I'm finding is that the start button doesn't engage right away (takes a few times to hit it before a game starts).

Everything else seems fine with the machine, I don't notice anything else odd while I was going through some testing.

The switches look okay, all I did was remove the castle gate assembly and set it down, and then put it back in on the new playfield.

When I start the machine and go into the test menu it tells me that switch 56 and 57 are broken.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? Before I did the swap both switches worked fine and the start button worked fine as well.

IMG_1999.JPGIMG_1999.JPG IMG_2003.JPGIMG_2003.JPG

#2 10 years ago

You should be able to sort it out. Go into switch edge test and push both switches - do they work ? If so then check adjustment so that the bridge parts trigger them when it moves. You might just need a simple adjustment.

They don't work in switch test ? Then check that connectors are in right spots. Check wire colors both sides, that same color stripes are on both sides.

Next up check for a broken wire from switch to CPU. Easy to have a wire come off and kill switches.

You can look at your switch matrix in the manual and see where the wires go to various switches.

Start button is likely a separate issue. might just be worn and not pushing in far enough.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the reply LTG. I did a bit more testing today and I'm still having the same problem. This is what I've done:

1) Changed out the switches / diodes just in case one of them was faulty. The ones in the machine worked fine in the switch edge test menu (ie. they would open and close) but thought I'd put some different ones in to see if I'd get anything different. With the new switches / diodes in they both work in the switch edge test, so from what I can tell the switches / diodes appear to be okay. I'm also pretty sure I have them wired up correctly (see picture).

2) Confirmed that the connector is in the right spot (see picture). Everything matches up and in the switch test menu it does say switch 56 and 57 when I test them.

3) I can't see any lose wires, so I think all is okay there.

4) J205 and J206 are the locations for the green/black and orange/blue & orange violet wiring. I pulled the connectors off and re seated them.

5) I adjusted one of the switches so that it was "closed" when the drawbridge is up. I see now that both switches were "open" in the above picture and that's not correct. I've included the page out of the manual that shows what the switches should be doing during the drawbridge operation. With the drawbridge up (that's where it is right now) the up switch is "closed" and the down switch is "open". This is what I have but I still get that message saying the switches are bad and the drawbridge won't do anything.

Any thoughts as to what else I could check? Could it be an issue with the CPU board assembly?

IMG_2015.JPGIMG_2015.JPG IMG_2016.JPGIMG_2016.JPG IMG_2017.JPGIMG_2017.JPG IMG_2014.JPGIMG_2014.JPG

#4 10 years ago

Forget CPU, both switches work in switch edge test. And the switches are wired right.

The problem will be at the switches and the cam that triggers them.

I'd run draw bridge test with the playfield up and see if the cam goes the right direction, and triggers both switches. See if they report on the DMD and can you hear them click when the cam goes by and closes them.

This is sounding like a simple switch adjustment at this point.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

Now that I think about it I wonder if the problem is not the switches but with the drawbridge motor? When I do the drawbridge test nothing moves, so the motor is not firing up. If the motor doesn't work, the cam doesn't move and trigger the switches, and the machine just might think there is a problem with the switches. I was thinking it was a problem with the switches, but now I'm thinking that's not the case.

So I think I'm looking at the wrong thing, I should figure out why the motor is not running when I do the drawbridge test (it worked just fine before the swap but maybe I did something during the swap).

Earlier today I had noticed the flashers weren't working and I checked F107 and the fuse was blown. I replaced it and the flashers were okay. No idea if the power for the drawbridge motor and flashers are on the same circuit, have to look into that and see what I can figure out.

3 weeks later
#6 10 years ago

Problem solved on the MM. Turns out it was just a connection that needed to be fixed. One of the wires in the connector that the drawbridge motor is attached two wasn't seated properly (sure looked fine, but it just wasn't in there properly). Fixed it and then the drawbridge worked just fine.

Once the drawbridge cycled around it cleared the error messages, so it's all good!

1 year later
#7 9 years ago

I have the same problem, can you tell me how you gave solution, thanks.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from oscarspa:

I have the same problem, can you tell me how you gave solution, thanks.

I had a loose connection on the motor driver board (A-21708-1). This is the little board underneath the playfield (with the playfield raised up it's located near the bottom left of the playfield - see picture of it that I've included). One of the wires in the connector on the left side was loose and I think it caused a short which triggered those switches to both show open. Once I tightened up the connection and did the drawbridge test everything worked fine and I had no issues after that.

IMG_2018.JPGIMG_2018.JPG

#9 9 years ago

Hi, I have reconnected and nothing, it seems that a transistor had a bad connection and have tried repairing, I guess it will motor controller, anyone think how to fix it, greetings.

la foto.JPGla foto.JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-problem-with-mm-drawbridge-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.