Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-10-19 14.09.11.jpg
#1 10 years ago

This is the fun part of projects...making everything work!
So my current pinbot issue is that it won't eject a ball into the shooter lane and I'm stumped.
Here's what I've tried:
Tested switches in outhole, both trough, and shooter lane. All test OK with my finger and with a ball.
Tested coil. Works properly in test mode.
When a ball hits the outhole it's kicked over properly.

When I start a game, the drop targets reset and the game sounds like it's ready to go, it just won't kick the ball into the shooter lane. If I wait 30 seconds or so, it will kick it in.

So to me, I show the switches are good and the coil is good (power OK and not bound up)

Any ideas?

#2 10 years ago

On the PIN*BOT I have there is a delay when the game is started. Pressing Start, it takes about 15 seconds for the ball to eject to the shooter lane. There are no errors on test either. The pin does a quick ball search. The visor targets lower and reset, the ramp raises and lowers. Then the ball is ejected. If this helps, great. Lets see if any other owners chime in on this.

#3 10 years ago

Yep, that's pretty similar to what I see except I swear it's longer than 15 seconds. But same behavior. Visor opens/closes, ramp raises/lowers. Then it works.

But same thing after a ball drains. The outhole kicks it into the trough, but it won't immediately feed the next ball in. Weird.

#4 10 years ago

I had this happen once where the balls were magnetized but that is not likely in you case.

I have also had a switch "sometimes" work in the trough area where the switch was wired incorrectly (wrong lugs of the switch) from the factory! You could also have a bad/open diode OR, MOST likely, this...

There is a type of clear plastic "sheath" that goes over the switch connections and diodes in this area of most system 11's. I would gently tug at each wire/diode/wherever there's a "sheath" to confirm that at some point, a previously disconnected wire was not just "shoved back up in" the plastic sheath to attempt a "quick fix" and not actually soldered to the switch lug or diode connection.

#5 10 years ago

Curious. I can try another set of balls, never hurts. I will also go through the switches to check. I'm wondering why they would all test out OK if that's the case though?

I will look, and I'm not doubting, I just wonder why...I've seen plenty of strange things in pins!

#6 10 years ago

Could be a flaky switch too. I had a similar issue in my HS....ended up being a flaky switch. (that I still need to replace!)

#7 10 years ago

OK. I went down stairs and checked.
Turn on PinBot, there is a quick ball check. Raise and lower ramp and Visor Targets, no kick outs fire, about 10 seconds. Then it goes right into attraction mode.

Pressing Start, there is a delay of 2 or 3 seconds. It then says "PINBOT activated", then launches the ball into the lane.

#8 10 years ago

Strange problem. Please report the fix when found.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

OK. I went down stairs and checked.
Turn on PinBot, there is a quick ball check. Raise and lower ramp and Visor Targets, no kick outs fire, about 10 seconds. Then it goes right into attraction mode.
Pressing Start, there is a delay of 2 or 3 seconds. It then says "PINBOT activated", then launches the ball into the lane.

Sounds normal to me. I am pretty sure ALL pinbots do that.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Curious. I can try another set of balls, never hurts. I will also go through the switches to check. I'm wondering why they would all test out OK if that's the case though?
I will look, and I'm not doubting, I just wonder why...I've seen plenty of strange things in pins!

Why? "vibrations" is the short answer. I'm just suggesting crazy things I've seen over the years and you have to tug on wires sometimes to address the "barely working" circuits a lot of times.

It would be worth testing the diodes on the trough switches and also the shooter lane ball kicker diode as well. When checking that, also look at the "very small wires" on THAT coil to confirm they are soldered very well and not just "touching" the larger lug of the coil. (You may have to remove the coil to see this.) You can additionally check the coils ohms (resistance) at that time. Should be between 4 and 15 ohms depending on the coil type.

#11 10 years ago

Still working on this. Checked a few things last night. Tried different balls, no change.
Checked everything on the switches, and they 'seem' normal. That said, I'm thinking there may be another issue going on, and I'm not sure how to tackle it.

If I get the ball into some of the eject saucers, the game registers it, but won't eject the ball right away. So I'm wondering if it's something with the coils. They all seem to fire in test mode though.

Any thoughts on that one? Pops and slings seem to work properly, but are those all "special" solenoids?

#12 10 years ago

Have you checked the switches on the visor? I seem to remember when I had mine it did the same thing. One of the switches on the visor target was not always registering closed and it had to lift and close before it found the position.

#13 10 years ago

I actually plan to go through the entire switch matrix tonight to see if it's a larger issue or just needing to adjust some switches.

#14 10 years ago

+1 on vectordreams. Watch the visor. If it keeps delaying all the time it could be a visor switch. Those are really common to go bad for some reason. One of mine would take an extra spin every once in a while and delay things.

#15 10 years ago

Yes, you could have a bad/shorted diode on any switch in the game causing this crazyness... Best to try and confirm that EVERY switch is working and that none are "stuck shut".

#16 10 years ago

Yep.
Tonight going through the switch matrix and the solenoid charts methinks line by line.
Will report back.

#17 10 years ago

Update on this tomorrow or tonight. No pin stuff last night....early night for me.

#18 10 years ago

OK. Went through the switch matrix, and quite a few switches out. Not a full row or column though.

So do I need to check out each one?

2013-10-19 14.09.11.jpg2013-10-19 14.09.11.jpg
#19 10 years ago

So, if i'm reading your notes correctly. You have an issue with both the GREENN-BROWN wire AND the GREEN-BLUE wires.

There are a few places this could have "come disconnected".

The coin and slam tilt ones aren't going to keep the game from working and may just be due to hacked up coin door wiring. I wouldn't worry so much about those right now...

I would focus on trying to find where the GREEN-BLUE wire is not making contact. First thing to check is a continuity test between one of the GREEN-BLUE wires under the playfield and make sure it's getting up to the driver BOARD in the head at (IJ8-PIN7).

If it is not, push the GREEN-BLUE wire into it's "punch down style" connector better with a small flat screwdriver (not TOO hard though).

For testing purposes, it's fine if you just run a "test wire" directly from this GREEN-BLUE pin to the corresponding GREEN-BLUE wires under the playfield, then switch test again to see if that gets those switches responding again.

Also keep in mind that a wire may have simply "fallen off" or desoldered itself from one of the GREEN-BLUE switch lugs in question. (They are all "daisy-chained" together). You may have to check every one on the GREEN-BLUE playfield switches for a disconnected wire somewhere.

#20 10 years ago

Folks, wanted to update this. Got all items on my list resolved. Here's the scoop:

One mis-installed switch in the coin door service switch bank took care of the coin door switch issues.
The visor switch I had out for replacement caused a break in the switch matrix at that point. Fixed that, all good.

So onto the ball not ejecting. Figured that out finally.
Shooter lane switch was gapped really tightly. With the playfield raised it was open. With the playfield lowered there was just enough play to cause the switch to close. Switch closed, game thought there was already a ball there. Little gap tweak and good as new!

6 years later
#22 4 years ago

I know this is a very old thread but I wanted to add that if row 7 is open at 1J10-2 (see switch matrix table above) you will have the same trouble. Solenoids work correctly under test, ball ejects onto shooter lane correctly under test. Ball trough switches are good, shooter lane switch is good, visor switches are good, but ball will still not eject into shooter lane at start of the game! Found 1J10-2 bad crimp (bad type of stab-on Molex connector to use in these games!). Be especially careful to check that the crimp is good because these stab-on connections can LOOK good but not actually making solid reliable contact!

#23 4 years ago

Also known as "IDC" connectors, short for "Insulation-displacement connector". One of the worst/cheapest decisions pinball manufacturers ever made.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-pinbot-wont-eject-ball-into-shooter-lane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.