11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcvetyty
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcvetyty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 3 years ago

Hello - I figured I'd add a post to this thread in case anyone stumbles here in the future with this issue. As an aside, I've battled this problem for several weeks now and as a result I've become quite proficient with the visor assembly. I would be happy to answer any questions that anyone runs into down the road. That being said, here's what I discovered with this particular issue:

As the video above indicates, the motor will sometimes spin clockwise and cause this issue, however, it is NOT supposed to. This is apparent when you remove the motor - you will see CCW engraved in the back. Additionally, as you probably have noticed, the times when it does move in CW direction it sounds terrible. The original motor is designed to switch directions if it runs into resistance so that it doesn't burn up. What I believe is going on is that as these age, they get dirt/grime inside of them and essentially encounter that 'resistance' the moment they start so they begin moving clockwise out of the gate - then it hits the flat side of either the visor open/closed switch and manually switches directions again until it hits the next switch properly. This is why the visor will sometimes open/close twice.

Here are three solutions to this issue:

1) As the OP said, you can attempt to bend the two switches so that they don't have a flat edge and instead are shaped more like a V so that the motor can enter from either direction and trigger the switch. After a lot of trial and error, I was able to do this successfully, but it was tedious and at the end of the day the solution didnt last. I believe that manually bending the switch made it lose some of its rigidness and after repeated uses the motor basically destroyed the metal leaf.

2) If my theory is correct, you could probably take this motor apart and clean/lubricate it and then put it back together. This should remove the initial resistance it perceives to have and always resume its motion going CCW. Disclaimer: I never did this or tried it.

3) If you can find one, you can simply replace the motor (part #14-7941). This is what I inevitably did after I wasn't satisfied with the patch of #1 and the new one spins CCW 100% of the time no matter what, and is also virtually silent when it runs (which when compared to the original motor, sort of corroborates my theory in #2).

Hope this is helpful, and good luck!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcvetyty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-pinbot-visor?tu=mcvetyty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.