Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So, my RFM died. I have the Pinbox Nucore. However, after install I get hung up on logging in on boot. Login:pinbox Password:pinbox as mentione din the install guide.

Has anyone successfully installed the Nucore? Many months ago I successfully installed it on a virtual machine, so I know it can work. But cant remember what I did to get a install to function correctly.

#3 8 years ago

interesting, he skips the installer and installs it by command. will try this. thanks

#4 8 years ago

woot! game runs and plays great... Issue is. It wont load pinbox on boot. It gets errors and asks for login/pass. But if I put the CD in.. boot from CD and run the script to auto start it works... But talk about a pain in the ass to have to do every time you want to play. Seems this script fails to run automatically.

#5 8 years ago

this is the boot when I attempt to boot without the CD.

fails and asks for password. which leads me to nothing when entered.

Again... I can run the game from the CD. But I am unable to run it from the HD.

#6 8 years ago

hi jean luc,
dont have pinbox my rfm is still working, but looked into pinbox and saw some movie on youtube with someone saying he made a change in ubuntu to make it work
cant seem to find it now

can you tall me were to get pinbox?

good luck with your install!
greetz

#7 8 years ago

You have to have it connected to the internet to get the updates. https://www.youtube.com/embed/BlOaMQhlgPk?autoplay=1&rel=0

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

hi jean luc,
dont have pinbox my rfm is still working, but looked into pinbox and saw some movie on youtube with someone saying he made a change in ubuntu to make it work
cant seem to find it now
can you tall me were to get pinbox?
good luck with your install!
greetz

Pinbox is a hacked copy of NuCore . It is not "legit" and it not on any sites I am aware of any more.. out of respect for the authors of NuCore I can't tell you how to get it.

#9 8 years ago

can you then tell me where to buy nucore?
thanx
good luck with your install
keel us posted!!

#10 8 years ago

Well long story short it's not for sale at the moment. Hopefully they will get their issues resolved and be able to sell it again. If you want to know the whole story...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

You have to have it connected to the internet to get the updates. https://www.youtube.com/embed/BlOaMQhlgPk?autoplay=1&rel=0

I tried the updates via command line. However, seems one or two of them paths to the update are no longer available so it fails the update. I will try again tonight.

#12 8 years ago

Great news! I was able to get my original copy to load. I had to properly update the pinbox The first time I did this, it did not work. But now I am back and ready to get me some martians.

#13 8 years ago

I have a new Nucore PC case for sale, if anyone needs it. Listed in the classifieds.

1 year later
#14 6 years ago

Due to the version of Ubuntu being outdated you have to point to another resource.
The commands below really work, I know, I tried it last night (14th Sept 2017) with 100% success.

sudo su
sudo sed -i -re 's/([a-z]{2}\.)?archive.ubuntu.com|security.ubuntu.com/old-releases.ubuntu.com/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
apt-get purge lxdm
mv /etc/lxdm /etc/lxdm.orig
apt-get install lxdm
cp /root/pinbox/scripts/pinbox.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart
rm /etc/init.d/pinbox
reboot

Regards,
Andrew

2 weeks later
#15 6 years ago

I just saw on Pinball News there is a NuCore software update that also works on Pinbox

3 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

Hello ANDREW
How are you, hope you are fine !
Saw your threads about Pinbox, i´m testing on my RFM a future solution just in case the original cpu die on me, so i sucessull installed Pinbox, it works fine, but the only think i noticed it causes a flickering on the GI of the playfield both on leds and bulbs, there´s a documentation on the Nucore manual, showing some fix for that issue, where you can adjust the cycle of the cpu.
Did you noticed any flickering on your machine ?

"Nucore Keyboard Commands
KEY Function
F1 This will exit the emulator.
F2 This will toggle screen flipping (useful for repairs)
F3 (-) Fine adjust – light timing*
F4 (+) Fine adjust – light timing*
F5 (-) Coarse adjust – light timing*
F6 (+)Coarse adjust – light timing*

*Due to differences in computer architecture you may notice GI light flickering. The timing adjust will allow you to fine tune the GI timing for your specific computer. While making these adjustments you may notice the relay clicking on and off, this is expected. These settings are saved"

Thanks
Marcos

3 months later
#17 6 years ago
Quoted from andrewhannay:

Due to the version of Ubuntu being outdated you have to point to another resource.
The commands below really work, I know, I tried it last night (14th Sept 2017) with 100% success.
sudo su
sudo sed -i -re 's/([a-z]{2}\.)?archive.ubuntu.com|security.ubuntu.com/old-releases.ubuntu.com/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
apt-get purge lxdm
apt-get install lxdm
rm /etc/init.d/pinbox
reboot
Regards,
Andrew

Well tried to do this but didn't work there is a workaround?
My machine died and I don't know what to do now.

1 week later
#18 6 years ago

Anyone ever deal with Republicofpinball.com ? seems they actually have some of this stuff in stock...
boards, and chips for the pin2000

#19 6 years ago

Hm interesting method:

(14th Sept 2017) with 100% success.
sudo su
sudo apt-get update
apt-get purge lxdm
apt-get install lxdm
rm /etc/init.d/pinbox
reboot

I have other way to run it but I will test it today.

#20 6 years ago

Tested and there is problem with this instruction:

It say something that 's cannot have this option

3 weeks later
#21 6 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

Tested and there is problem with this instruction:
It say something that 's cannot have this option

Did you find a workaround for this? My machine is dead and I can't make it work again.

2 weeks later
#22 6 years ago

I'm in the same boat here. Just tried a fresh install. Are you guys typing all of that command line manually? It didn't work for me, but it's possible I missed something.

#23 6 years ago

First off, I hate Ubuntu and I'm not great with command line stuff. I had a legit NuCore a few years ago. That was no easier to set up. I haven't tried it in the game yet, so I'm not certain it works, but I can boot into RFM, so I'm somewhat confident I'm most of the way there.

A few people have posted the fix that snags some updated files. Unfortunately the command line is really long, and if you miss anything the whole thing is a waste. I was able to get to the desktop, or whatever Ubuntu calls it by typing
lxdm start
From here I figured I could go to the browser, head back to pinside, copy and paste and be done. Not so fast! I got some weird error when trying to run Chromium. I decided to try and mess around with "Configure Pinbox" on the desktop. This worked and also has an address bar. Typed in pinside and it worked! Searched up this thread, opened up "LXTerminal" and copy pasted these commands from a few posts above (thanks andrewhannay !)

sudo su
sudo apt-get update
apt-get purge lxdm
apt-get install lxdm
rm /etc/init.d/pinbox
reboot

Not every command seemed to do something but I copied and pasted every one anyway and in the end I got to a mirror of the choose game screen. Going back to "Configure Pinbox" and manually choosing the game I was able to get both games to the attract screen. I'm not sure about my PCI-E paralell card yet.

#24 6 years ago

This works on 100%

After the standard installation from CD it go to the Fatal Error 4.After this must be done(you must have internet connection):

sudo sed -i s/us.archive.ubuntu/old-releases.ubuntu/g /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo sed -i s/security.ubuntu/old-releases.ubuntu/g /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
May stuck on 99% at package 32,but will quit afte a while and you can continue with these commands:

sudo su
apt-get purge lxdm
mv /etc/lxdm /etc/lxdm.orig or mv /etc/lxdm /etc/lxdmxxx
apt-get install lxdm
cp /root/pinbox/scripts/pinbox.dekstop / etc/xdg/autostart
rm /etc/init.d/pinbox(I just missed this line before,that's why I think it didn't boot)
reboot

1 year later
#25 5 years ago

The above does work, as I just reinstalled Pinbox last night, however, this line has an extra space after "pinbox.desktop / etc/xdg/autostart". Also "dekstop", should be "desktop", haha.

This:

cp /root/pinbox/scripts/pinbox.dekstop / etc/xdg/autostart

Should be this:

Also, you may have an issue where the screensaver kicks in. After the game boots, plug in a keyboard, and hit "F1" to exit out of the emulator, and then go into the terminal. This will remove the screensaver:

Screensaver deinstall:
sudo apt-get remove xscreensaver

4 years later
#26 11 months ago

I don’t love resurrecting threads, but I think it’s worth noting this still works with the commands in post 23. I just plugged an Ethernet cable into my router and into the pc in my rfm and got the updates. It then booted into the game selection menu. Going to try the applejuice update software and roms next…

Edit: applejuice update software bridge didn’t connect (ssh error -2) but it sees it. I’ll keep pursuing.

Edit 2: I got the new applejuice roms to work by following the instructions for the manual update (manual method described on his website)

Additionally, the pinbox build I have boots to the Ubuntu desktop first then goes to the playfield choice selection. My previous version of Nucore went right into rfm. Also, I did have to disable the screensaver as described above.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
7,500 (OBO)
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-nucore-pinbox-install-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.