View topic image gallery

image-25.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
HS2TG.jpg
HS2 up left orbit.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Just got done restoring a Getaway. Can anyone provide some suggestions on how to get smooth ball flow through the orbits. Currently, about 10% of the time its smooth, 70% of time the ball travels through but rattles, and 20% of the time it gets hung up on something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is an example of the upper left orbit. Note, I also have problems in the upper right orbit and the inner orbit that is executed with the upper right flipper.

HS2 up left orbit.jpgHS2 up left orbit.jpg

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Can anyone provide some suggestions on how to get smooth ball flow through the orbits.

Have you waxed those areas? Are you using decent balls?

Also, the lane guide doesn't look polished.

#3 9 years ago

I reground the guides, the playfield was restored and cleared by HSA, and the balls are new from Pinball Life. I played ~20 test games thus far.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I reground the guides...

Still might want to run some polish where the ball rolls. Polish usually leaves a protective coating behind that is slippery as hell. Does it feel rough if you run your finger over it?

Have you checked pitch with a good tool? (not the factory bubble)

#5 9 years ago

Adjust the switches so they sit a little lower and little more slope on the front. Had to do this on my Getaway.

#6 9 years ago

Phishrace - The playfield is silky smooth and the guides feel pretty smooth too. However, I can feel slight bumps in the ball guides around the areas where the ball guide fastens to the playfield. As for pitch, I may adjust a few degrees up and down to see if that has any impact.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Very much appreciated.

#7 9 years ago

hawkeye11 - I was wondering about that too. I checked the geometry of the switches against a new switch. They all seemed to be spot on. However, they look very high on the playfield. I will try and adjust them down a bit and see if it helps. Thanks!

#8 9 years ago

In the video, it looks like the ball is reacting to something on the wall, coming off the wall, and hitting the post. In the picture , the wall doesn't look smooth. It looks bent at the point the ball hits it and bounces off. Perhaps it's just the lighting. But the ball should hug the wall due to centrifugal force. For it to come off and hit the post, something has to cause that. Be looking for some protrusion. How is it if you roll it slowly instead?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

How is it if you roll it slowly instead?

A slow roll seems to work just fine. It's only a problem on very fast rolls. Odd..... I will investigate more tonight.

#10 9 years ago

its looks like the ball is running up the guide and hitting the screw head is the guide perpendicular to the playfield, is it slightly leaned back?

#11 9 years ago

It almost looks like the ball guide has a stress line in it. has it been bowed and bent back. The ball is defiantly coming off of it in that area. It could be because it's bent somehow...or it could be like calvin12 said and riding up on the guide and hitting that screw head.

HS2TG.jpgHS2TG.jpg
#12 9 years ago

It does look like it is hitting the screw. It is the exact point where the ball goes awry. But normally the ball can't hit those. Could it be jumping a little off the switch wire, just high enough to hit the screw? You could remove the switch and see if it still happens.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

It does look like it is hitting the screw..

That's what I was thinking. It even seems like the ball mark on the orbit is raising, er, rising towards the screw...but that might be imagined or the angle I'm looking at.

#14 9 years ago

I have noticed the ball getting airborne on few occasions, so the switch could be causing it. I'm going to take a look now. I will report back shortly. Thanks!

#15 9 years ago

I removed the switch.....same problem. I removed the screw and the ball zips right on through the orbit. The ball is definitely getting airborne much of the time at high speeds (no pun intended). Not sure what is causing the ball to take flight......still investigating.

#16 9 years ago

Just reread what you replied earlier...

Quoted from xfassa:

As for pitch, I may adjust a few degrees up and down to see if that has any impact.

You shouldn't have to adjust it more than 1 degree if you got it close. Have you checked the pitch with a digital level?

#17 9 years ago

I was a bit flip (pun intended) with my degree comment. Sitting at 6.1deg.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I was a bit flip (pun intended) with my degree comment. Sitting at 6.1deg.

You're measuring too high on the playfield. Measure between the flippers and jack it up to at least 6.5 degrees there.

#19 9 years ago

Why would where you measure the pitch of your playfield matter? Isn't it flat?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I removed the switch.....same problem. I removed the screw and the ball zips right on through the orbit. The ball is definitely getting airborne much of the time at high speeds (no pun intended). Not sure what is causing the ball to take flight......still investigating.

The fact that it was fine when you removed the screw tells me that it's the curve of the guide that is the problem. Removing the screw takes some of the pinch out of the curve. You could mess around with the curve shape of the guide and try to get it so there isn't such a tight bend right before the screw — let the curve ease more into that point.

#21 9 years ago

Table is now at 6.5 deg. I put the ball guide fastener screw back in too. The first ball that I rolled went airborne at the usual spot and landed on top of the ramp (with the ramp diverter in the up position). Subsequent rolls produced everything from a clean pass to a dead stop.

#22 9 years ago

Looking again at your photos, you may not be able to achieve this because you've got screws at each end of the problematic curve which are dictating how much length needs to fit between them and thus the sharpness of the curve.

It looks to me like you'd have a smoother curve if the guide followed the edge of the road, not allowing any of the red edging to be visible until meets that second screw.

#23 9 years ago

Even with screws out, the ball guide can't be easily adjusted.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#24 9 years ago

So if the screws removed seems to solve the issue, why not place a thin shim between the guide and the back of the game? Guide will be solid, and should stop the issue.

#25 9 years ago

That view shows that the curve isn't quite uniform. It sort of goes a bit flat just past the hole and sharp again before the screw at the point the ball goes out of control. Can you remove the guide and bend it to try to make the curve nice and uniform?

#26 9 years ago

Try another ball guide , the radius on yours in the pic doesn't look right. ( possibly distorted when you reground it )

#27 9 years ago

I am wondering if you ever found out why this happens, I have the same problem on mine. I was convinced it was the switch until you said you removed your switch and still have the same problem. There is definitely evidence of the ball riding up on the guide on my machine, you can see the wear lines in the guide. I think the ball is just traveling so fast it is climbing the guide. I wonder if the guide can be tipped in to keep the ball down.

#28 9 years ago

pinstyle - I think the speed of the ball has a lot to do with it. It doesn't seem to be an issue at slower ball speeds. I am starting to wonder if my flipper coils are too strong. My current coils are correct according to the manual but stepping them down in power might help.....

I also purchased a used set of Getaway ball guides. If I cant figure it out, I will replace my current ball guides and see if it helps. I really want this game to play well. Too much time/money invested to leave it as is.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I am starting to wonder if my flipper coils are too strong.

The last pic you posted shows the upper lane guide is clearly bent. Looking at it full size, the bend near the screw hole is significant. Below that, you can see where the black art gets bigger, then narrows down again. With a newly cleared playfield and new balls, you're going to need a perfectly curved lane guide.

Quoted from xfassa:

If I cant figure it out, I will replace my current ball guides and see if it helps.

You just need to change that outside guide. If your new one is straighter, start with that.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

pinstyle - I think the speed of the ball has a lot to do with it. It doesn't seem to be an issue at slower ball speeds. I am starting to wonder if my flipper coils are too strong. My current coils are correct according to the manual but stepping them down in power might help.....
I also purchased a used set of Getaway ball guides. If I cant figure it out, I will replace my current ball guides and see if it helps. I really want this game to play well. Too much time/money invested to leave it as is.

Same problem here, it is fine at lower speeds, just the perfect clean fast balls have an issue. In the curve of my guide there is definitely marks from the ball climbing up the guide and judging by the marks made, it looks like the ball has been doing that for a very very long time. I'll have to check the right side. I have the problem on the right also but nowhere near as bad as the left. Maybe one in 30 or more on the right is rejected.

I do see the bend in yours he is talking about. I guess it is possible that is what is causing it. I have my doubts though considering the ball trails I can clearly see on my guide. They start well before that bend on yours. I've played around with my switch mostly, thinking that was the issue. When I get to it again I'll do some testing and see if I can figure it out. If I do I will post the results.

Something I thought about is you could remove your switch again and put a piece of tape over the slot for the switch just to rule out the ball becoming airborne rolling over that slot. Just a thought....

#31 9 years ago

I've shaped this thing six ways to Sunday and the ball still climbs the rail and hits the screw. I will continue to mess with it......

#32 9 years ago

It's not a flipper coil strength problem.

#33 9 years ago

Probably not. So what do you think it is Mark?

#34 9 years ago

I'd take the guide off and drag it around a large wooden dowel to reshape it.

#35 9 years ago

Not ideal, but it is works like a champ (and is completely hidden). Commence mocking.....

image.jpgimage.jpg

image-25.jpgimage-25.jpg

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd take the guide off and drag it around a large wooden dowel to reshape it.

I was using my wife's marble rolling pin.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I'll never tell

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

That's funny. Not bad, it would be nicer if it were clear. I'm going to be replacing a magnet and some optos on mine and when I do I'll have the supercharger off and I'll run some tests. If I come up with anything, I'll dig this thread up and post.

I think Vid is onto something though, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the shape of the guide. Only problem is there is not much room if any for adjustment. Not with out serious adjustment involving moving a few screws, I'd hate to have to drill new holes if I don't have to.

1 week later
#39 9 years ago

OK......I found a replacement piece from a fellow Pinsider. After installation, it does exactly the same thing. The ball takes flight in the upper left turn and catches the screw. I'm convinced its a speed issue caused by the clear coated playfield. I am going to go with my homemade plastic top piece and remove the screw. It works flawlessly in that configuration and the topper piece is completely covered by super charger.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I'm convinced its a speed issue caused by the clear coated playfield.

I've cleared many of those playfields, so there has to be something else out of alignment.

#41 9 years ago

vid1900 - My statement "I'm convinced its a speed issue caused by the clear coated playfield" is really code for "I'm done messing with it for now and I 'm going back to playing some pinball".

#42 9 years ago

Nothing wrong with that.

Sometimes you come back fresh to a problem after a few weeks and bang, the solution is right in front of you.

5 months later
#43 9 years ago

I've having the same problem. Any updates to this issue? Is that added plastic piece still working? How thick is that plastic?

#44 9 years ago

Follow up: I removed the screw holding the metal wall in the back, under the supercharger. It was easy to get to with a screwdriver so no disassembly. I left the one in the left lane, closer to the front, in place. That one is harder to get to.

After several days and many plays, I had no issues with the ball jamming back there. I am very happy that such a simple fix seems to have solved the issue. It's so much more enjoyable playing with all shots going through the orbit. I don't know how but the ball must of been getting airborne and hitting that screw head. I don't think the screw is needed but if needed it could be installed more to the right and higher up where it is out of the way.

#45 9 years ago

You could perhaps use a small #4 flathead screw (instead of the round head) to pull the head flusher with the meal ball guide?

#46 9 years ago

I thought about that but I don't think anything will be completely flush without some work on the ball guide. A better solution would be to make a new screw location up and over, completely out of the ball's path. Game is playing great so I don't think a screw is really necessary in that location.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 72.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Trade
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-not-so-smooth-ball-flow-in-orbits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.