TECH: No Fear : Sporadically spits out a ball during play

By ezeltmann

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

title pretty much says it all.

I do not work on my own games , so i am just looking for a place for my tech guy to start.

I've played several 4 player games and it only happened once after i warmed the game up a bit. I could have sworn it also started a mode when it wasn't supposed to.

No fear holds a ball in the subway normally . When the extra one spit out , it came from the trough , so probably a flaky switch where it holds the ball?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Z

#2 4 years ago

Start with going into switch test mode should find the culprit .

#3 4 years ago

Trough switch/opto or connection on the opto switch board under the playfield.

#4 4 years ago

Magnetized balls?

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for all the replies .

Balls weren't magnetized .

I ran the trough test which continually loads the ball into the subway and records switch closures. Everything seems fine with that.

In switch edges test i took out all of the balls and ran them through and all optos were registering.

I will have to investigate a problem i have been leaving alone , which is the center magnet on the accelerator ramp has never worked and the switch is also reporting as bad . the game does function as intended without the center magnet

#6 4 years ago

I had a no fear that would do that, but it had gotten pretty bad. I reflowed the trough optos, I filed the trough smooth... no help. Eventually, I put it in switch edge test and tested EVERY switch, and found some that were acting strange. Reflowed the solder on those switches and checked all the diodes, and all is good now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-no-fear-sporadically-spits-out-a-ball-during-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.