New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 253370)

TECH: No Fear : Sporadically spits out a ball during play

By ezeltmann

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Grangeomatic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

title pretty much says it all.

I do not work on my own games , so i am just looking for a place for my tech guy to start.

I've played several 4 player games and it only happened once after i warmed the game up a bit. I could have sworn it also started a mode when it wasn't supposed to.

No fear holds a ball in the subway normally . When the extra one spit out , it came from the trough , so probably a flaky switch where it holds the ball?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Z

#2 1 year ago

Start with going into switch test mode should find the culprit .

#3 1 year ago

Trough switch/opto or connection on the opto switch board under the playfield.

#4 1 year ago

Magnetized balls?

#5 1 year ago

Thanks for all the replies .

Balls weren't magnetized .

I ran the trough test which continually loads the ball into the subway and records switch closures. Everything seems fine with that.

In switch edges test i took out all of the balls and ran them through and all optos were registering.

I will have to investigate a problem i have been leaving alone , which is the center magnet on the accelerator ramp has never worked and the switch is also reporting as bad . the game does function as intended without the center magnet

#6 1 year ago

I had a no fear that would do that, but it had gotten pretty bad. I reflowed the trough optos, I filed the trough smooth... no help. Eventually, I put it in switch edge test and tested EVERY switch, and found some that were acting strange. Reflowed the solder on those switches and checked all the diodes, and all is good now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 125.00
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside