(Topic ID: 32041)

Tech: Need Help Identifying Part on Who Dunnit >> What the Heck???

By Whysnow

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by lordnorth
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1406_(Medium).JPG
IMG_1405_(Medium).JPG
IMG_20121203_200207.jpg
IMG_20121203_200223.jpg
PC031936.JPG
PC031934.JPG
PC031933.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Since I have gotten my W?D it has been bothering me that the phone hole acts more like a kickback and shots with any force will come blasting back at you. EVERY other whodunnit I have played does not act this way, and any shot on other games that makes it to the hole will always drop in rather than bounce back.

I finally tore into it tonight and I find what appears to be a kickback bracket (see photos). It was not actually affixed to the hole and the bolts/ screws do not even protrude nearly enough to hold it anyway. It was just kind of held in place from the subway (subway removed in my photos).

I am 90% sure this piece either does not belong here or the wrong bolts are currently in place... or maybe it is optional??? I don't think the other W?D I have played have this piece.

Also worth mentioning is that there is a curved ball deflector that in affixed from the top of the pf and appears to more appropriately direct the ball into the hole.
It is unclear form the manual but there are supposed to be 2 parts in this hole >> 01-14087 is the ball deflector (I am assuming this is the curved piece that is affixed from above) and then 01-14237 is labeled as ball deflector bracket and is "*" as located under playfield.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP...

thanks in advance.

PC031933.JPGPC031933.JPG PC031934.JPGPC031934.JPG PC031936.JPGPC031936.JPG

#2 11 years ago

I know that piece! I don't know exactly what it does, or where it goes, but I know that piece....

My WHO Dunnit is currently torn apart for cleaning, but I did pics of the entire teardown so that I could get it back together. It is too late for me to find it tonight, but if you can wait until tomorrow evening, I promise I will get you a photo of where that piece should be located.

Sorry to make you wait...

Chris

#3 11 years ago

I think I figured it out??? that bracket is supposed to face down (into the subway) rather than up like it was. In conjunction, the #8 bolts are slightly too short so I need to replace them with something slightly longer...

It would be great if someone with a whodunnit could please confirm.

Please

#4 11 years ago

Chris >> just saw your post. That would be great. I am done for the night also. Pic on tuesday would be awesome! Thanks in advance!!!!

#5 11 years ago

I don't know that piece but here are a couple pics

IMG_20121203_200223.jpgIMG_20121203_200223.jpg IMG_20121203_200207.jpgIMG_20121203_200207.jpg

#6 11 years ago

yup, first pic looks like that is the bracket and it is facing down??? affixed from below the pf...

Chris >> would be great of you could still confirm with your pics today. Also would be nice to get a pic from the bottom where I think it connects, in order to get an idea of bolt length and how fastened on.

thanks again!

#7 11 years ago

also funny... to the left of my W?D is my FT...

#8 11 years ago

bump for confirmation from lordnorth please >> or anyone else that has a pic from below with that subway removed for good viewing.

#9 11 years ago

OK,

I put it back together like I thought it should go (diverter facing down into subway) along with #8 bolts that were just slightly longer. Worked out perfcet and not 90% of balls go in the hole when shot to it.

#10 11 years ago

Why,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

Funny thing... I was working on getting things back together and realized that I didn't actually have a photo... Guess I figured it was common sense. Well, it obviously isn't, so I just sort of guessed.

I think that you are right, that is how I reinstalled mine. It is facing downward at the back of the hole, underneath the subway connector. It uses the bolts that come down from the scoop on the top of the playfield. The bolts thread into the inserts and then the mystery piece goes on, then the bolts hold on the mystery piece. It sort of looks like it is designed to help keep the ball from banging the back of the hole and to give it an extra push down the subway.

Again, sorry it took so long. Hope this helps you out.

Chris

IMG_1405_(Medium).JPGIMG_1405_(Medium).JPG IMG_1406_(Medium).JPGIMG_1406_(Medium).JPG

#11 11 years ago

Perfect and THANKS for the confirmation!

You would not believe the crap I have found wrong with this game. Lesson learned to not buy from the other side of the US. I got 185 high res pictures when I bought this thing and it still was not enough. After a few weeks of tweaking things it seems so obvious now that certain things were just plain avoided in the pictures.

Parts put on wrong, 'rebuilt' flippers that must have had 1500 games on them (severly mushroomed, cracked bats, cracked bushings), cracked plastics, and the worst thing was a screw hole from a drywall screw (small, but still makes you wonder how some people can sell a game and not specifically point out the obvious). Seller did refund me a small amount of cash for the screw hole but arrrggggghhh!

Thanks again for you help with the picture to verify. W?D is now finally tweaked and playing like a champ! Glad I can finally enjoy this game and it now plays like ot was supposed to/ as advertised.

#12 11 years ago

Congrats on getting such a great game. One of the WPC sleepers.

#13 11 years ago

Why,

Yep, I agree. I don't buy a game unless I can play it first. Even then, I always find at least 5 things that I wish I had known about.

Can't imagine having one shipped..

Anyway, glad I could help. Enjoy!

#14 11 years ago

Alright, hoping someone can help me back. Having the same problem, but with different parts.

Here is the thread: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-wd-extra-parts-left-over-help-please#post-529632

Hope someone can help.

Thanks!
Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 26.50
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-need-help-identifying-part-on-who-dunnit-what-the-heck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.