View topic image gallery

pivot-base_(resized).jpg
castle_(resized).jpg
Castle_Tower_Mod_005.JPG
CIMG4870.JPG
CIMG7097.JPG
photo.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Just trying to get to the root cause of this, the back left tower on my MM exploding castle assembly leans slightly to the left when the exploding castle assembly resets. The other small towers have springs to return to the upright position, the back left one does not. I know this is a common problem.... so what's the fix?

#2 11 years ago

Replace the spring.

#3 11 years ago

I had a similar issue on my MM yet a tech I knew did not see a way to fix any springs to get it to reset (it also seemed like this was a common issue). What we elected to do was take some hard plastic, cut it down to fit under the tower, and glue it in place (to hold the tower up). I then let the tower sit for 3 days just to make sure the glue had set. It seems the fix has worked well, the castle explodes normally, and the listing tower resets correctly.

#4 11 years ago

The tower needs some weight for it to sit right.
I saw this old trick and it worked well (spring didn't fix it).
Take two nickels, paint them black if you like, and hot glue them to the metal base that the tower is mounted to. No more lean and no permanent modification required.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Take two nickels, paint them black if you like, and hot glue them to the metal base that the tower is mounted to. No more lean and no permanent by Text-Enhance">modification required.

Yep. This is what the plastic pieces are doing. As you note, it works well!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Take two nickels, paint them black if you like, and hot glue them to the metal base that the tower is mounted to. No more lean and no permanent modification required.

Thanks Drano, Ill give this a shot.

The springs are good and work correctly, there are only two springs in the assembly and they return the other two moving towers (back right and front left) to the upright position. The back left tower relies on the plastic linkages to the spring returned towers to return it to the upright position.

#7 11 years ago

One of the two springs is a high strength red spring. Make sure that it wasn't replaced by a standard silver spring.

#8 11 years ago

Buschjs, the root cause is that the holes in the castle bracket are wearing and getting larger causing a sloppy fit for the pivot shaft. (the pivot shaft may be wearing also) More permanent fix would be to repair those areas.
I modified mine by adding an additioal small spring to the left rear tower base similiar to the others. Wally

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Buschjs, the root cause is that the holes in the castle bracket are wearing and getting larger causing a sloppy fit for the pivot shaft. (the pivot shaft may be wearing also) More permanent fix would be to repair those areas.
I modified mine by adding an additioal small spring to the left rear tower base similiar to the others. Wally

This is what causes it, Way No has the bracket but a small piece of plastic epoxied to the tab will hold it upright.

http://mrpinballa2.cart.net.au/details/2901312.html

#10 11 years ago

Do you live in Pisa?

#11 11 years ago

This is how I fixed mine. I drilled a small hole in the castle and added some weight to keep it upright. I know it looks large, but it is not visible when playing. I don't understand the post about gluing nickels. Where exactly do you glue them ?

// Error: Image 57579 not found // photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#12 11 years ago

I had this same problem and I did a couple of things to resolve it. As we know this is caused by the wearing out of the base bracket and pivot pins. What I did was to replace the red spring with a new one that has not been fatigued for years of use, then I took the front most silver color spring and shortened it by about 1/3rd. Lastly, I drilled a new hole in the base plate and the leaning tower and added another new red spring to that one. The mech works perfectly now.

I had previously used several washers and a screw into the leaning tower base with mixed results. I always disliked that solution so this is much better.

#13 11 years ago

My solution was to take an appropriately tensioned rubber band and stretch it between the base of the leaning tower and the base of the rear right fixed tower. The rubber band gives enough to let the movIng tower move yet also bring it upright when relaxed. It may not last forever but it is cheap and easy.

Mike O.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

This is how I fixed mine. I drilled a small hole in the castle and added some weight to keep it upright. I know it looks large, but it is not visible when playing. I don't understand the post about gluing nickels. Where exactly do you glue them ?

Same place you put the washers

#15 11 years ago

http://iobium.com/medieval_madness_castle_pin.htm

I haven't made any more of the pins, but might do so if there is enough interest.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from PamPinbits:

I haven't made any more of the pins, but might do so if there is enough interest.

Yes please
Adding weight to the base is only a temporary fix as the wear will continue.
New pins would be great!

#17 11 years ago

I drilled the pivots out to 1/4" and soldered in 3/16" bronze bushings and made a set of 3/16" pins from O/A welding rod. I would have bought a set of pins from Pinbits but they were out at the time. Stays straight and should outlast the game!

CIMG7097.JPGCIMG7097.JPG CIMG4870.JPGCIMG4870.JPG

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from PamPinbits:

I would consider trying the replacement pins. Would you make them 3/16" or 1/4" ?

#19 11 years ago

Nice one Cliff

#20 11 years ago

This is great advice. Thanks to everyone!

Pinbits, I would certainly purchase these for my MM if you do another run.

#21 11 years ago

Yes please for the pins.

3 years later
#22 7 years ago

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I just picked up a MM and my back left tower is leaning left like others have described here and wondered if the advise in this thread was still the best way to go. I'm not super handy and don't really want to take apart the entire castle and I don't think I know how to replace the pivots or pins, but just gluing on some nickels seems a little dodgy.

Also, the back right tower looks like it broke off about 1.5 inches up from the base. Almost got cut in half. Looks like the previous owner tried to glue it back and that didn't work. I see you can buy part 31-2827 which looks to be the right size of this tower itself.. but how do you affix it to the black sub assembly (where the spring is). I don't see any screws? Do you just wedge it on to the part (03-9815.2) and if so, can I do it without disassembling? Seems like without affixing it to the exploding castle base the tower would just go flying off when you beat a castle.

Thanks in advance.

#23 7 years ago

To simplify my question, my back right tower is cut in half. Is it possible to attach the castle tower (pic attached):

to the castle lower base (pic attached):

I also need to remove the old castle bottom half that is cut in half but still attached from that lower base assembly circle. The stationary tower is removable very easily, but the ones that are attached to the exploding portion of the castle aren't coming off and I'm afraid to pull too hard.

I can't find any parts store online that is selling the parts already molded together.

castle_(resized).jpgcastle_(resized).jpg
pivot-base_(resized).jpgpivot-base_(resized).jpg

*UPDATE FOR POSTERITY*
The previous owner must have glued on the old castle tower to the lower base. Removing the castle completely gave me enough leverage to remove the broken castle base and install a new one. After about 10 castle explosions, the back right castle tower came off again (kind of cool, given the game's theme). I re attached it to the base one last time using double sided, thin, tape on the interior lining wall of the tower itself. Hasn't come off since but if it does, I'll probably go the glue route myself to keep it on.

As for the leaning tower, we drilled a hole through the black lower assembly like a previous poster, and attached another spring to keep it straight. So it's basically like the other 3 small towers with its own spring.

3 years later
#24 4 years ago

Posting to say that the new springs and the Nickels/Washers glued on trick works!

I used the Ebay new springs for the tower and added three washers on the Left rear tower platform. Works very well in returning the towers to the vertical position after the coil resets.

Good advice!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-mm-leaning-left-tower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.