(Topic ID: 88121)

TECH: Midway Haunted House Rifle Game - Motor Speed?

By hassellcastle

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been working non-stop pretty much over the last two weeks trying to bring my Haunted House Rifle Game I picked up back to life. I'm getting much closer to it functioning 100% but there are still a few issues that I'm troubleshooting.

At this point I want to focus on each one individually and this is the one that is the most annoying at this point.
    The horizontal motor in the bottom (aka: horizontal witch motor).

From what I understand this motor is to pick up speed the better you score. For every 1000 points scored, the motor is sent more voltage, thus turns faster making the targets harder to hit.

My problem is when the motor is in the 1st speed, it is way to slow. To the point it barely moves and I can kind of have to move it along with my hand from the back to keep it going. I've checked the voltage during the 1st speed and the motor is getting 7v. However once it gets to the second and third speed, it's fast enough on it's own that it doesn't need any help.

What I've done so far:
    - I have rebuilt the motor control pcb in the backbox. I have replaced all 6 caps with brand new 1000mfd 25v caps. I have replaced the 3 IC chips and I have replaced each of the transistors that control the monster motor, vertical witch motor and horizontal witch motor.

The other motors (vertical witch & monster motor) seem to be working fine and I have no issues with them.

- I have also taken out the entire lower carriage assembly, cleaned the track guide, cleaned & lubricated the chain pulleys.

So my question is this to my fellow Haunted House owners.
    Is 7v enough voltage that the motor should be running in the first speed? If that is too low, what component am I missing that needs to be replaced on the motor control pcb?

Or is it a motor issue itself? Could it be motor is worn out?

Let me know if you have any suggestions in relation to this if you have ever worked on a Haunted House EM Rifle Game.

Thanks,
    Craig

P.S. Other issues I still have left to fix:
    - Recoil coil is not energizing when trigger is fired.
    - Game does not end, until I manual trip the Game Over Relay. I'm hoping that it's just the Game Over Relay that is the problem. It wouldn't surprise me as it's pretty crispy.

#2 10 years ago

I just checked the voltages at the motor. Here is each of the voltages as it changes every 1000 points.
    1st Speed - 7 vdc
    2nd Speed - 8 vdc
    3rd Speed - 9.5 vdc
    4th Speed - 11.5 vdc

It will pretty much move on it's own at the 8 vdc (2nd speed). However first speed it just doesn't have the power to pull along the witch/cats assembly without stopping.

Can someone with a Haunted House verify their voltages on their machine. It's easy to check it. Just measure the voltage on the lower em style pin connector for the carriage assembly that is mounted near the bottom of the machine. Test voltages on the bottom row, last two pins on the left.

#3 10 years ago

It's possible that your motor needs rebuilt. Years of grime and grit can exponentially create drag in the bushings. Rebuilt two on my Midway Captain Kidd and it made a big difference. Why don't you email Doug @ zapdbf.com and tell him what your problems are. He's an expert on these games.

#4 10 years ago

Just sent Doug an e-mail. Awaiting a response.

3 years later
    #5 6 years ago

Hello.
    Little up because I have exately the same problem :/
    Hasselcastle how repair your problem ?
    Thanks for answer

1 year later
    #6 4 years ago

Honestly I can't remember it's been a few years since I owned the game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-midway-haunted-house-rifle-game-motor-speed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.