(Topic ID: 31833)

TECH: LOTR during multiball game ejects 2 balls at once. FIXED!

By starbase

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by starbase
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Just bought a really nice condition LOTR HOU accept it has one minor quirk during fellowship multiball I notice it launches two balls at the same time and than does not autofire them or if it does it does not get the punch it needs because two balls are there. Any ideas what could trigger this? Do I need to rebuild plunger? Game is very playable despite this issue. Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

First thing I would do is remove the small opto boards on the end of the ball trough, remove the old solder and put on new solder on the optos and the pins the connector plugs onto.

That cures most things like this.

LTG : 0

#3 11 years ago

Sweet been wanting to see how rusty my soldering skills are, probably going to have to mess around with a old GI joe pcb for practice first.

#4 11 years ago

Good ole Loyd . . he's always got the good answers. I had a pin to do the same thing. Now I know what to do!!!
Thanks LTG!!
Mike G.

#5 11 years ago

Are all your switches in the trough registering? I had the same problem and switch 13 wasn't registering. I figured it was broken until other switches started going. In the end the green/white wire from switch 13 was traced and it had broken off by palantir. Before you remove anything to solder just make sure the wires are all good. I know your problem might be totally different but that's the exact symptom that started with my issue. Then the switch went, then right inlane keep rollover and finally C on orc. Reconnected the wire and everything was fixed. I didn't find the wire my pinball technician did. I suck! GL

#6 11 years ago

Did you fix the problem OP. I'm wondering what the problem was.

#7 11 years ago

Not yet going to work on it this week, according to the switch test they all seem to be working. Going to dig into this on my day off I hope. Pretty much going to just go through post by post of tips and try and diagnose it. Thanks again for the help and I will update as soon as I figure it out.

#8 11 years ago

I did notice one thing while playing it, after it launches a single ball and I plunge it out, I hear a pop like its trying to auto plunge a ball but there is nothing in the shooting lane, does this mean anything?

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

I did notice one thing while playing it, after it launches a single ball and I plunge it out, I hear a pop like its trying to auto plunge a ball but there is nothing in the shooting lane, does this mean anything?

Depends what exactly is popping. Might not be the up kicker.

LTG : )

#10 11 years ago

Sure sounds like its coming from the plunger area, happens normally within 5 seconds of plunge.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Sure sounds like its coming from the plunger area, happens normal within 5 seconds of plunge.

You can always clear the balls, go into switch test, and one at a time trigger the optos on the small board and see if you get one switch register or two.

1 week later
#12 11 years ago

The trough VUK on our Baywatch was always firing for no reason. Reflowing solder on the opto board connectors and it hasn't done it since.

#13 11 years ago

Try doing a switch test on the switch in the shooter lane. Maybe it thinks a ball is there still or it is never sensing the original ball.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The trough VUK on our Baywatch was always firing for no reason. Reflowing solder on the opto board connectors and it hasn't done it since.

When someone refers to "reflowing" solder, does this mean re-melting the existing solder and letting it cool, or adding fresh solder? I've always been confused by this.

#15 11 years ago

I have always added fresh solder.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

When someone refers to "reflowing" solder, does this mean re-melting the existing solder and letting it cool, or adding fresh solder? I've always been confused by this.

You can just heat it up. Add a little new is nice.

But with those tiny trough opto boards, it is best to remove old and flow on new.

1 month later
#17 11 years ago

So it turns out it was a switch adjustment. I could not figure it out in switch test because it was intermittent. Trial and error and now its more sensitive and it shoots 1 ball at a time during multiball.

#18 11 years ago

which switch?

#19 11 years ago

The switch that sits in the shooter lane that registers the ball is in the lane.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 39.50
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-lotr-during-multiball-game-ejects-2-balls-at-once and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.