(Topic ID: 33004)

Tech: Lord of The rings Reset loop (Solved)

By coz6

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by coz6
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have a lord of the rings that likes to go into a reset loop.

During game play or just simply in its rest mode. The game will start to restart, and get stuck in a loop. The bootup will only get about half way through the process and do it again and again. Watching the LED's on the boards the only light that continues to have power is the 5V on the I/O board.

Its almost as if a connector is coming loose, but I don't get it because I cant seem to replicate the error. The simple acts of taking out the back glass or moving the playfield into service position has fixed it - but not every time.

However, what baffles me is the fact that I can't replicate it. Shaking the heck out of the game does not start the issue, nor does the shaker going at full speed. It will be sitting and then bam it goes. I also did a burn in test for 12 minutes - nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks all.

#2 11 years ago

The big board with the batteries. Be sure anything socketed on it is in tight. Reseat every connector to it.

Then see if it still does it.

Power cord/plug into wall outlet is in tight ?

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Thanks LTG - I did that last night, with the exception of the socketed parts. The problem went away but it has done that before. The power cord is secure.

I have a party next friday and LOTR is certainly the highlight and am concerned I won't find the exact issue in time.

What made me think its something else - is the fact that simply touching the plate that the lock bar secures to was also forcing it into reset loop. I put the game in service mode it went away, then I could not replicate the problem by simply touching the plate. But it did reset again, but when it was in attract mode.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

What made me think its something else - is the fact that simply touching the plate that the lock bar secures to was also forcing it into reset loop. I put the game in service mode it went away, then I could not replicate the problem by simply touching the plate. But it did reset again, but when it was in attract mode.

If you have an outlet checker, I would see if the wall outlet and service outlet in your game are wired right and working.

And take a meter and see if this plate you touch is grounded.

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago

I'll get one - good suggestion did not know they made such things.

Should the latch bar be grounded??? Interesting... this problem started occurring after I put side armor on it... I bet I forgot to hook up a ground someplace. This site is the best - to help you find those obvious solutions..... I had all but forgotten I had done that.

#6 11 years ago

It's grounded all parts are well socket other pins play ok on socket - and it's a new problem anybody have any ideas? What to check? Also watched voltage on wall socket it does not flux. A clean 122 volts

#7 11 years ago

Check the big connectors under the playfield. Especially the ones between the transformer and backbox. One pushed pin can cause symptoms like that. I would also check the fuse holders on the driver board. One loose end will also cause symptoms like you're seeing.

You didn't mention any history of the game. Was it recently moved. Been in the same spot for years? First run game? Le? Any recent LED or other upgrades? Might not help, but if you're stuck, more details can't hurt.

#8 11 years ago

I tried another driver board so I know it's not fuse holders only change was putting on side rails. I have had the game for a few years and not much has changed recently... I look at the connectors next thanks

#9 11 years ago

Did you check the incoming power with the meter when the problem was occurring? Checking it while the game is working is sort of worthless.

Is this a lotr SE that came with shaker or did you add your own?

I think I'd probably not focus on the side rails. They're probably not relayed to the problem.

#10 11 years ago

Yes I did I checked another outlet that runs on the same circuit, the power still looks good. Its getting worse, and can be induced by simply holding the left flipper now (not energized.)

I added my own Shaker with the pinbits pal 10.02 sometime ago - had no issues for 6 months after installation. Its the SE.

#11 11 years ago

It's the light touching the switch matrix me thinks its the barlorg. Adjusted switch we shall see.

Played 50 games, no issue Help topic solved.

1 year later
#12 9 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

It's the light touching the switch matrix me thinks its the barlorg. Adjusted switch we shall see.
Played 50 games, no issue Help topic solved.

I am having exactly this reset problem on my mate's LOTR. The Balrog hit switch is closed in switch test. In game, balrog hits are registered when the slingshots & pops fire, i assume the switch is vibrating open. Cos6, can you tell me more about what the problem was and how you solved it? I can't follow your brief message. Thx!

#13 9 years ago

So I ended up having this problem, or having people ask about this problem a number of times. the 4 issues I have found are

1) Power cord was loose and when I was stepping to do a switch test I was making the power cord come out of the wall just a bit.
2) Corrosion had snuck into the chip right under the batteries.
3) The chip right under the batteries had become loose
4) The switch in Balrog was making contact with one wire that has voltage to make the light work in Balrog so it was causing problems on restarting the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-lord-of-the-rings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.