Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by smokey_789
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I picked up a KISS today that has a driver issue. None of the solenoids are working. I check the voltages to the board and the fuse. What I have found is the flipper relay on the driver board is not energizing at all. And when a thumper bumper is triggered the target coil goes off. I know it seems like a short but damn if I can find it.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Mike

#2 11 years ago

A short, or poor solder joints on things like that relay ?

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Its not the board, I swapped it with a known working one from another machine.....

#4 11 years ago

You have two separate issues. I am going to guess that the solenoid driver will need to be rebuilt and you have bad male/female connectors all over the place. J3 is most likely your bad connector on the MPU board causing your "misfiring" of the thumper bumper and the target coil. Corrosion creeps into the J3 and causes all sorts of misfires.

First thing is to reflow all of the male pins soldered to all the boards to see if this brings anything back to life. The 2 biggest pin culprits are the transformer board and the solenoid driver.

#5 11 years ago

Also, even if the fuse is good, make sure the fuse holders, especially the under playfield one , have continuity with the fuse installed. Sometimes these fuse holders will trick you.

#7 11 years ago

Well I have put new replace boards in for the MPU and the driver board so I can rule out them... What triggers the flipper relay on the Driver board??????????

Mike

#8 11 years ago

Connectors MPU J4 to driver J4 carry all solenoid data. Check/rebuild those connectors first.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from games_r_fun:

Well I have put new replace boards in for the MPU and the driver board so I can rule out them... What triggers the flipper relay on the Driver board??????????
Mike

The flipper relay has a dedicated line from the PIA to the driver board. Can use schematics to see where it travels and check continuity.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Connectors MPU J4 to driver J4 carry all solenoid data. Check/rebuild those connectors first.

Yes, this. Not J3 as I had stated.

#11 11 years ago

J4 connector pins broken!

Thanks for the help, I really appricate it!!!!

Now to order the right pin size and repin all the connectors

Cheers
Mike

#13 11 years ago

Connectors, connectors, connectors!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 29.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-kiss-has-solenoid-troubles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.